Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Deus EX Scene - Download + Sources

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
vahl polycounter lvl 18
Hi guys,

a few months ago, I did this Deus Ex scene to stress test my workflows, and see how many corners I could cut while still maintaining fidelity to the concept and good enough quality, it also helped me nail down a few things, to make sure my workflow was efficient enough and eventually add/change a few steps.

After Jordan released his Bathhouse, and talking about it with MoP, I decided to release it publicly, with some of the sources (max files, PSDs)

clearly it's not as polished as jordan's scene, and has way less techy bits, but I think it can serve a different porpose and show how by focusing on the right things, you can obtain decent results in a minimum amount of time.

here's the original post :

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73450

the reasoning behind it :

I decided to create a one week stress test to evaluate the quality of my workflows and how fast I could get a full environment done, what I would have to sacrifice to go faster and yet maintain a decent look. Mainly because if you take months to create an environment, you don't evaluate your mistakes and can keep repeating bad workflows all the time without even noticing there's something bad. the rules were simple :
-no more than 10/20 minutes struggle on a problem, if it takes more, it either requires a super complex solution, or is a bad idea.
-keep texture quality as good as possible, yet try to spend as little time as possible on them, focusing mainly on color and value, if it reads as wood, it's wood, no need to slap in noisy textures to make up for bad base values.
-use the 3 point shader as a base for the texturing process, meaning I don't have to go back and forth between UDK and max/ps (avoiding to re import textures as much as possible)
-create all the shaders from scratch, yet try to use as many material instances as possible, shaders must contain the same qualities as the 3 point shader since I want a predictable look.

for the TL;DR : I wanted to see if I could do it in a week.

Video on the tv screen and background music are from the E3 2010 Deus EX Human Revolution Trailer

pretty pictures and videos after the TL;DR

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He_drnRKmBg[/ame]

please keep in mind it's a 1 week work, so I didn't go for full quality/optimization, cut a TON of corners and cheated a lot to get it done on time.
I used the 3point shader with max 2009, some other plugins and photoshop CS2, nothing should prevent you from opening the files even if those are missing.
The UDK scene was built with the march UDK, rebuilt for this with the july UDK

Replies