Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Get to tha choppa! - Motorcycle Project

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
Hey All.

I've decided to start some art OUTSIDE of work (I know, crazy). At work, we're a low-ish poly, diffuse only, no spec, no nada outfit. I figure as a way to better my art and practice some current gen artflow, I'll be doing the whole shabang: high-poly bike model, bake to low, add foxy materials, render hotness.

Here's where I'm at:

mount_wip_01.jpg

I've taken that and done a few paintovers:

More of a high desert, Full throttle-esque design
mountConcept_01.jpg

Cleaner (?), slightly techy style
mountConcept_02.jpg

I think I like the first one more so I'll be basing the model off of that. I've got progress but my obj is corrupt and we've only got maya here at work so I'll post it tonight.

Also, for shits and gigs
mount_wip_02.jpg

Replies

• Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like it.

I agree...I like the first one better as well.
  • lbigbirdl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the flanges or whatever their name is on the engine should be different. google pics of motorcycle engines and see what i mean
  • HandSandwich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Rick_D,gsokol - Thanks :)

@lbigbirdl - Yeah, I'm going to be remaking the engine compartment. I just wanted to get some shapes in for some visualization.

Got a little more into this. Made the front forks. Here's where I'm at:

mount_wip_03.jpg
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    It's looking good. Can you post some pictures to see more or less how detailed are you going to take this when it comes to the mechanical parts.

A trabajar!
  • Barbarian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Barbarian polycounter lvl 12
    Look at the rake and trail. It might look cool sitting in a bike show, but that bike is not drivable except along a straight path (and I wouldn't ride it then). You would have to have a huge turning radius. If you are just going for looks then ignore, but any biker is going to catch the rake and trail issue. I have a friend with a chopper, but nowhere near the rake on that bike. I've been riding for a long time (metric and Harley, now on my eighth Harley). Also, the pipes in the concept are way too close to the ground and would bang the ground over any bumps.
  • HandSandwich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys

@David-J - I'll be making the engine compartment about the same detail as the rest of the bike; detailed, but not necessarily factory correct or macro-detailed. I remember for the Jet Moto contest, someone filled the engine area with lots of interesting shapes that gave it a engine feel and then shrink-wrapped a mesh over it. I might try to do something like that for this.

@Barbarian - I get your concerns about the rake and trail and you're totally right, he'd need a 4 lane highway to pull a u-turn. But I'm making this more for looks than functionality :)

A bit more progress. Added the fenders and headlamp.
    mount_wip_04.jpg