Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3D Final year project: Dam environment (WIP)

Hi, this is my first foray into creating a Polycount thread. I've just started work on my project for final year at Uni. I plan on making a Dam, with an art deco style. It would be a starting location in a game. I was planning on putting it into UDK later in the year once I have finalised some of the area.

The primary location will be the dam top, allowing access to the buildings exterior and partially inside.

I'm looking to make the small buildings in the resevoir area accessible, although I'm not sure how yet. As well as having a simple interior atrium to the two buildings on either end of the walkway.

The walls around the sides will be cliffs, with small ledges and vegetation hanging from both the top and cliffs themselves.

The dam as a whole does have a small back story. It is supposed to be a power generator for a large, unknown machine. It would usually be manned by a small team with a heavy security presence, however they are currently missing and would feature once the player has moved into the interior of the dam. The dam should look reasonably well kept, although it will have fallen into some disrepair over the few months of neglect.

I have done a block out of the area as I have imagined it so far from sketches I have been doing over the past month.

Any comments or crit would be greatly appreciated. As well as any suggestions to other directions I could take the level.

image1.pngimage2.pngimage3.pngimage4.pngimage5.pngimage6.pngimage7.pngimage8.png

Replies

• SaarlemSanders
    Firstly, I like the scale of it - it definitely has the potential to be an impressive scene. As a suggestion of how to access at least one of the little buildings, how about a makeshift zipline tethered to one of the statues?

What are you looking to have in the atriums? Also, will you be texturing the whole of the mountainside shown here?
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    Why are the renders so bright and with out any shadows? It's hard to make out whats what imo.
  • pretzel.singer
    The rainbow pipe/hole looks really low poly compared to everything else. Also as joshfighter said, its really to bright to see the details. What are you using to render this out?
  • SaarlemSanders
    I agree with Joshflighter, the renders are too bright, it's hard to make out a lot of the detail.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Why are the renders so bright and with out any shadows? It's hard to make out whats what imo.

Its the good old .png Gamma embedded gamma issue...
    (Apply a .454 gamma correction to em and they will look much better).

OP:If your saving for the web use JPEG.
  • Finalstraw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the comments, I didn't realise the images had come out that badly. I've included some JPGs this time which should hopefully be more easy on the eye.

I like the zipwire idea, it's different. I may make it so they were communication wires between the buildings, rather than a zipwire itself, which may seem out of place. Either way it's a great idea thank you.

The low poly stream entrance is based on an outside performance area in Napier, New Zealand. I'll include a link if you're interested in what I am basing the design on. I like the shape as it would amplify the noise coming from the mountain stream. I only made it quickly to see what the design would look like alongside the rest of the Dam area, I realise it does stand out quite badly from the rest of the block out however. I will get a revised version with some more models and ideas up soon.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e9/Napier-SoundShell.jpg

dT7Ak73sosM8d2cc27fMcRv6CImuEAZIcEBEup2CaQxSVdBPIlaBUr5Q
  • SaarlemSanders
    When I say 'zipwire' it could easily be a rope that's been tied on - I was just thinking that it may give the impression that other people have explored the area before you. That said, it's a weirdly-designed dam if you can't reach those huts by any safe means, unless there are some broken/sunken bridges. Is this scene set in the 1940s, or is the architecture just in that style?
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Really like the scale of the environment, the architecture is giving me a very bioshock vibe. Like SaarlemSanders said though, a zipwire would be weird being the only safe way to get to the huts.
  • Finalstraw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you both. The viewing stations in the water would be accessed from underneath, there would be a set of stairs in the stations themselves. I am seeing if I will have enough time to model and texture the internal sections, at the moment they will be reflective glass however (as you will be able to see below I have been remodelling them)

The reason I didn't want them accessed by stairs or a bridge from the dam itself is that it breaks up the design of the dam. The main bridge and buildings are there to look good for visitors, not be used often for the researchers themselves.

However I have been looking to set up a system of cables that can be used, these will go from the two buildings to the closest two stations which will then be linked together by other cables.

The images below are for the bridge stairs and the reservoir stations.

In the doors between the stairs there will be an out of order elevator, it wouldn't be damaged, just out of action. I'm still working on designs for that.

Capture.JPGCapture2.JPG
    Capture3.JPGCapture4.JPGCapture5.JPGCapture6.JPG

I am having difficulty arranging the topolgy on the circled part above. I know there is a much better way to approach it, however the more I look at it the less I can think about it. I'm having a complete mental block on it. Any suggestions would be greatly recieved.
  • SaarlemSanders
    Related to the visitors you mentioned, what would their purpose have been? Would they not have wanted to know how the buildings in the water were accessed? When I suggested cables I was thinking that an intruder/survivor (or whatever reasoning you like) would've set that up to access the buildings without permission, since cables over the dam would be dangerous as normal access methods.

I like the design of the various items, though why are the elevator doors so huge? Also, will you be including poly counts for these objects?
  • Finalstraw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all. Sorry it has been a while.

The buildings that are in the water would be accessed from underneath. They would be for reading water consistency, depth and any monitoring any unknown elements that are located in the water. This means they would not be on show to the public as they hold sensitive material, as well as not being accessed from the bridge itself. This is why I was suggesting a collection of wires from above, communication cables and such.

However as I have worked on the scene, I have been tempted to include a bridge, and/or a ladder from the water. As the pictures below will show, I have been working on a small landing area for boats that are on the water, they would allow the player to reach the towers.
    Capture7.JPG
    Capture8.JPGCapture9.JPG

Capture11.JPG

I am also stuck on creating the 'arms' that reach into the water and break up the flow coming in. They are not well made, however the shape is correct for what I wanted. I need to rearrange the topolgy on the arm as it seems a mess. Any suggestions? I have included images below. Do you think they are the correct shape with the rest of the design so far? (They are based on the fountain outside the Cincinnati train station)

Capture10.JPG

Capture12.JPG
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    The entire dam should be concave and not convex. With the sheer amounts of water pressure, a convex dam would not hold up structurally. Doing a google image search would show that dams are typically concave and slanted back towards the water flow.

Fastest way in my opinion would be to extend the cliff out more and have a concave base connecting into that.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    The last images you posted: You could reduce the polys by a large amount by just using some tris. Are these your base meshes for sculpting or low-polys?
  • Finalstraw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the compliment, always appreciated.

Yeah I realised that after I put the images up. I have made some pretty big changes to the front of the Dam that will be put on Polycount as soon as I finish the block out. Including changing the Dam itself to a concave shape. Thanks!

The last images were the first time I've succesfuly replicated the shape I want the breakers to have. So they are more base meshes, however I need to work out the way to keep the shape which I have struggled with, I will go back and work on it again soon, as I have moved temporarily onto something else in the scene. However I always thought it was best to avoid using tris in models, although I think that was mostly for things that will move, which none of this scene will obviously.