Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Environment] Church Rework

I want to rework my old church project, but make it more realistic to my idea that I'm trying to go for. I'm trying to make it a darker scene. Evil feeling not terrible lighting dark =/ (like my renders) Want to make a before and after of the scene because I want to show a battle that took place inside my church. Idea just based on a game concept I came up with "Conviction." But anyways the things I want to improve on in the project are.

- Better textures (custom textures maybe?)
- Add normal maps
- Bring into udk
- Model in max maybe? or just model in modo 401 what I'm familiar with.
- use zbrush!
- use photoshop for textures and not image ink in modo.
- increase size of church
- use more reference

Any critiques be great! I'm post my old church scene and some assets so people have what I have atm, and what I plan to do. Will update asap when I start on the new rework.
SummoningBookConcept.jpg
FinalRoofShot-1.jpgInterior2-1.jpg
Church_0005.png
Interior3-1.jpg
ChurchBook.jpg

Replies

• gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Better textures (custom textures maybe?)

Your not already? 0_o

Heres my 2cents:

First thing that sticks out to me...your scene is just..really boring. Everything is in line, everything is straight, and there is no story to it.

Want to make it dark? Have some crazy pentagram circle at the altar with candles lit everywhere or something. The pews are perfectly straight...nothing is ever perfectly straight. Move them around, rotate them a bit. Maybe have them all pushed away from the center of the room and have a point of interest in the middle (like the pentagram..or something).

Maybe the church was abandoned...so there would be a good excuse to dirty the place up...broken pillars, graffiti on walls, busted floor tiles...anything to break up the scene.

Maybe try making a blockout of your scene and make it more interesting, then put your blockout into udk to play with lighting and composition. (also to get your feet wet with udk).

Seems like your tackling a lot of new tools for this, good luck!