Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] WW2 Carentan (Image heavy I think!)

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
snow polycounter lvl 8
Hi goobers,

First off, I've worked on this scene for a little too long, so I'm MOVING ON. I'm not happy with it at all, but I learnt a lot, so I'd love to hear feedback and will fix as much as I can, but in terms of big revisions of things, I'll just take the advice for now as I can't afford to spend any more time on this.

This scene is based off Carentan featured in Band of Brothers:[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuyXT-FCq1k[/ame]
I've made quite an extensive scene (larger then I originally though), and I definitely need to provide a fly through, which I will do soon.

Couple notes:

1. The small rubble is done as a terrain deco layer. Any rubble thats got a shadow casting on it, turns BLACK, as you'll see in the screenies. Anyone know what could be causing this?

2. I know there were no tanks in this battle, particularly UK tanks, so sorry if I offend you war mongers. I just wanted to add something to break up the buildings.

3. The back bridge crossing over is also not featured in band of brothers (that whole section isn't actually showed in the movie). Just thought I'd put something cool there. Thanks to one_richards call of duty: waw mod for the idea.

Thanks so much everyone, wish it was as grand as I originally had planned :(.

carentan05.jpg
carentan04.jpgcarentan01.jpgcarentan03.jpg
carentan02.jpg
tank01j.jpg

Replies

• seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    I like it very much :) ...the largest chunks of rubble seem to big to have come from that building...but thats without looking at the ref link that you posted.

I now have to start watching band of brothers again this evening :D
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    Ah I see what you mean about the rubble, I'll scale it down, you're right, thanks :).
  • Boyso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyso polycounter lvl 7
    Kickass ! My favorite episode, and it really looks like it! Good job!
  • tekmatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tekmatic polycounter lvl 11
    WOW this is very nice work dude......congrats. Pretty accurate as well. So when you said you spend too much time on it, how long did it take you?

Great job again!:thumbup:
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    pretty cool work.

The bridge on the last screen is my fav because of nice storytelling elemnt with the hole going across the bringe right into the pavement ;)

I just find that most of architecture textures (roads,walls etc) are bit too uniform. That makes kinda clean impression. i knwo they got dirt and grunge but since they r quite uniform overall it creates this sort of clean effect imo.
    U could use some vertex paint on the gound and buildings to bring more dirt variation into the scene.

Also as a minor remark, the debris is all conrete while the destroyed walls have brick. Thereofre the ruble could be better integrated by having the same sort of brick mixed with that concrete ;)

Nice Churchil btw!

EDIT: ah, and those black bricks - did u forget to set lightmap on them or u used them as a part of new foliage paint tool (which gives thsi kind of a black lightmap problem sometimes) ?
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    it's a great start but IMO its needs waaay more rubble and destruction to the superficial layers of the buildings.- check this out for ref-(warning a little graphic)
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBI9d0-IfEM[/ame]
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    Boyso - Thanks, it's a great episode, but I think if I watch it one more time my eyes will bleed XD.

tekmatic - It's taken about 3 months fitting it inbetween irl work, but I've learnt so much that any future projects will be done much faster, my original optimisation and workflow was terrible and unfortunately that's carried through, but live and learn.

Matroskin - You're right about the clean buildings, I have struggled creating tilable dirty concrete that doesn't kill the eyes. Unfortunately these old french industrialish buildings don't have many trims to allow for nice horizontally tiling textures. So ihad to go with fully tiling textures. I've vertex painted some areas, also some of the plaster interpolates between a grunge texture. I may grunge up the brownish plaster a little more.

In regards to the rubble, I'm considering shrinking it and retexturing it with a more fitting texture.

• Miller02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like your scene alot so far. its looking very good. just a couple comments.

first i feel like your building could use a bit more grunge build up ( blast marks, dirt, etc...)

also for your rubble....how did you go about making them... did you just model a few and use physics in max/maya ? or hand place in udk? i noticed the smaller bricks in shadow seem to have lightmap issues or just have super harsh shadows.

keep up the good work!

mind throwing some model sheets up? textures and what not
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Dan! - that was significantly later in the war, in an area that had seen heavy aerial bombardment by the B-17s of the 8th Air Force in a way the French countryside never did. Taking it that far wouldn't be quite accurate, if he's aiming for historical accuracy... Maybe somewhere in the middle?
  • nathanbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathanbarrett polycounter lvl 6
    Looks awesome! I'm a huge Band of Brothers fan, you've done a great job!
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

So I guess the most obvious things that I will change are:

- Fix the rubble, smaller size and more fitting to the buildings.
    - Grunge up the building textures some more.

Dan! - I tried to match the scene in band of brothers as close as possible in terms of rubble. And there's no where near that much, but you are right that I could add a lot more so I'll do that :).

Miller02 - The rubble was done with physics. I'll try get some textures up soon. Thanks!

GarageBay9 - That's right, carentan only had artillery damage I believe, no planes - definitely!
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    Oh sorry for another bump, I still haven't figured out how to make the rubble (thats using a terrain deco layer) not have those horrible black shadows, if anybody can help please shout out.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    love it, came out great!
  • Oiban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oiban polycounter lvl 6
  • rawrsie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very nice work so far. I'd recommend taking a break from this and working on something else for a while and then coming back in a few weeks time with fresh eyes. When you do that and have time to look at it as a whole again you'll be able to take this from something that's pretty awesome with some really rough edges to a piece that's amazing.

btw, that tank is so sick :)
  • dickiegriffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dickiegriffin polycounter lvl 5
    I seem to remember this being a multilayer map in one of the COD games. looks very nice tho!
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Love band of brothers, bit disappointed with The Pacific personally - this definatly looks a lot like BoB so well done on that, just feel that it could do with a bit of wear and dirt on textures, to break it up a lil bit. But other than that fantastic and the tank helps a lot!
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow wrote: »
    Oh sorry for another bump, I still haven't figured out how to make the rubble (thats using a terrain deco layer) not have those horrible black shadows, if anybody can help please shout out.

normally this black lighting bug will move to another spot after u add/erase some of deco/foliage meshes. So it depends on current layout of those meshes - when they move around the black spot (or spots) moves somewhere too, but u never know where next :P

In your case I'd suggest just place that small rubble manually, u don't seem to have a lot of those anyways. In case if it's all single piece debris, u can unify a group of them into one mesh and place them as larger groups. It will generate less actors and save u time. Most of your ground is flat, so having predefined groups of flat lying debris pieces will work well.
    I did that in my current scene I am working on - first i painted grass as a part of foliage paint tool, but after having this black lighting bug i just placed grass patches manually. To save me some time I merged few single grass meshes into a group.
  • letronrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome ! good job
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    ae. , Oiban, letronrael - Means a lot guys, glad to see some people like it, despite me thinking its pretty crud.

Sharvo - Thanks! You are right regarding the textures and despite it being the main crit, I may come back later and revisit them. To be honest the passion for this scene has gone and I've reached that stage of "can't be bothered", which I think will only be reflected further in my work if I continue to work on this scene, so I'm just going to leave it here for now and take these crits for my future projects.

Matroskin - You're right, manual placement may just be the better option, I'm going to do that tomorrow and upload a fly through so people can see what is going on a little better.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yep, that happens sometimes when u r finishing up something cmplex...
    Well, if u make the last shot as main one - u r set ;) That area is the best in the scene imo, not necessary because of tanks (which r great of course), but the architecture and textures look better there imo.

Btw, any intention to post a breakdown sometime?
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    hey dude,
    This looks awesome! I really like what you have going on with the lighting, feels pretty natural the way the shadows are falling. right now however it seems s like the image is a bit dull/washed out for the kind of harsh cast shadows going on.

the sky looks overcast, which would lead to a lot more ambient lighting style rather than harder shadows, ofcourse the sun could be peeking through the clouds which would be a dooooope effect if you could get it going on, look at the jungle udk example map to try and see how they did the shadows from the clouds slowly panning over the environment. the witcher 2 also had this style lighting in areas and it looks fantastic in motion.

the reason your images look a bit washed out/dull is that there are no exteme brights in most of the frames. if you look at your histogram/levels, the entire right quarter which is the brights, is almost completley flat and wasted range. if you pull the slider in a bit, it gives your image a bit more contrast and vibrance. here is an example of the original histogram and the one for the image I adjusted below to help explain. you could also try experimenting with image grain, vingette and perhaps dust on the camera lens pretty easily to get that band of brothers documentry style look.

The level looks fantastic man, these crits are mainly focused on getting the most out of your final presentation but are pretty minor in the long run. its mainly some quick 2 min fixes that will make the biggest difference for time/changes.
    Cheers

original image histogram, the area in red is the section where brights appear and its almost completley wasted:
    carentan_orig_histogram.JPG

newly adjusted one to show how lighting with these harsher cast shadows would probably appear:
    carentan_adjusted_histogram.JPG

and here is the adjsuted image with some of the stuff I mentioned above, added some more blue to the ambient shadows. original below for quick comparison.
    carentan_adjusted.JPG

carentan01.jpg
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    PixelMasher - Can't thank you enough. These are the final touches that as you say, I was looking for just to get the most out of what I have for the moment.

I'm not sure why I've lost my highlights, I think I have my tonemapper set too high, any suggestions?

Again thanks and I'll have an update at some point today as I am slaving away at the moment!

Edit: Oh sorry, did you bump up the saturation as well?
  • PhilipK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhilipK polycounter lvl 10
    This turned out great! I like the amount of rubble and placement of it and the building damage looks nice.

Something that I think could enhance it even further would be to get some of the smoke more dense. Maybe some more smaller props to just get that last detail layer? Cloth lines, small pots, couple of more posters. Also the rubble could perhaps do with some metal bar parts or something too? Personally I'd try and up the colors just a tiny bit too, but I know you've been going with the more desaturated feel from the clips so it's all good :)

Otherwise, really nice job on this!
  • Boyso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyso polycounter lvl 7
    Any update on this? Would love to see more!
  • lincolnhughes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lincolnhughes polycounter lvl 10
    i think adding some puddles in between the cracks near any rubbled areas or on some of the brick randomly, might really help the lack of any material differentiation in the scene. Looks good though