Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Underground Sewers Control Environment (UDK)

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
hostilis polycounter lvl 13
Hello,

This is one of my old environments I created in the purpose of practicing modularity. Sadly the only modular asset in the scene is the wiring and the pipes. I considered this project as a failure because I failed to make the modular assets snap to the correct grid (need to turn off the grid and aligning it).

Topview.jpg
SampleShot2.jpg
SampleShot1.jpg
DOF_Shot2.jpg
DOF_Shot1.jpg
2nd_Worm.jpg
2nd_RedArea.jpg
2nd_Intersection.jpg
2nd_FirstArea.jpg

Replies

• sketch81
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work man, just remember nothing is ever a failure and use what you've learned in your next project. Just a quick tip, try blocking out your environment in modular pieces/props before modelling everything in higher detail. This way you can check if everything fits, proportions and how the pieces snap too the grid.
    Keep it up :)
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    I like the lighting but some parts of the wall look like you just took a wall photo source and just ran it thru a normal map generator without separating key elements. Some of the wall texture looks too noisy.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you learned from it, it's not a failure.

I would try to not rely so heavily on filter generated normal maps, or at least tone them down a bit. Keep it up man.
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    Sry to sound like a broken record, but yeah, textures are way too busy, especially the bump in your normal maps. They need to be softened up a bit, to be not so noisy. If you do want to keep the normals on all surfaces like that, try practicing with overlaying some of your super noisy normal map and "running it through 1 to 2 pixels of blur. Then play with opacity and overlay. I've found you can get some "crazy bump" looking things going on by using the nvidia filter in photoshop.

I really dig the contrast int the lighting though! Awesome practice for sure. Your first top down shot reminds me of all the hours I spent working in the G.E.C.K. engine :)
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Needs thinner AO and less noisyness. your eyes need a place to rest and the thick AO is softenning up the image too much making It lose it's gritty feel.
  • hostilis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hostilis polycounter lvl 13
    Hey thanks for the crits.

Yeah I got excited applying detail normal map at every assets :poly142:. After staring at some rough walls and concrete materials I just realized that the bumps are to small to notice when afar so toning down the detail normal map and adding cracks or variation to the walls might give the walls more looks.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks.