Home Unreal Engine

Map won't save, graph linked to external package, HELP D:

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
ivars polycounter lvl 15
Hi guys. Pretty new to this whole UDK thing, but finding it easy enough except for the whole package structure which I seem to have misunderstood completely.

Here's what I've done.

- Installed UDK
- When I start it, there's a scene containing a box on a plane and a sky and a few lights
- In the content browser there are two new packages Untitled_1 and Untitled_2, the second one containing all the lightmaps for that scene.
- Since I don't want that scene I choose File > New (blank map)
- In the content browser I now get the empty packages Untitled_3 and Untitled_4.
- I import my objects by drag 'n dropping them in to Untitled_3. In the dialog window I choose a new name for it.
- I put meshes, materials and textures in their respective groups.
- So far so good. I have a package named myLevel, it has groups, and in the groups are my assets. Everything is working fine. I decide to save my package (!)
- I save it under the UDKGame/Content folder by right clicking and selecting "save".
- Now when I start UDK, I find my package, no longer listed under NewPackage but under UDKGame > Content (as I expected it to)
- I start building my level, using assets from my package and brushes.
- I build my level, but when I try to play it, or save it I get the following error message:

Can´t save
C: \filePath\UDKGame\Autosaves\UEDPIEUntitled_4.udk:
Graph is linked to object in external map package. Try to find the chain of reference to that object (may take some time)?
Yes No

I click Yes and it says "Can't save package. Check log for further details."

- I look in my content browser and all the lightmaps for my level have been stored in NewPackage > Untitled_4

I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong here.....

Please help.

Replies

• Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    I guess you must not save in the automatic package created with the blank map, try instead to create your own packages. By the way, most of the time you don't use the map package (which contain the lightmaps and other stuffs) but you use an external package for you datas. You can only use the map contain your stuffs only if you want to share easily your map with its assets.
    But in this last case you don't use package generated by the editor, you use directly the "map" package.

I can say something wrong because since the new system of default map in the udk its look like a little different than before, but I think my advice is still up to date.
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Thank you.

I actually managed to solve it. The problem was I needed to save my empty map before doing anything else. That way the map package was created under the content folder and my lightmaps got saved to that package :)

A piece of vital information I had missed.....