Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Woodwork Shop & Alien Interior Environments

Hi guys, while I've been busy with working at a new position at EA, I've managed to put some time aside to begin working on some new projects to enhance my portfolio as a World Builder / Environment Artist. These two scenes are both WIP at the moment, but looking forward for some input or any word so far, as I can get better ideas how to continue adding, or changing up certain pieces to them.

Both are vastly different in their purpose, and I'll explain what I am aiming for on both.

Woodwork Shop -

012_Beauty_F100.png

012_AO_F100.png

Currently still in deep WIP and my primary focus on getting finished ASAP. The focus of this environment is going higher poly, good use of bevel/higher costing models but with good use of geometry. The other two more important focus I am placing on this scene is lighting and materials. Currently, lighting lacking in my former scenes before, and I need to have something to demonstrate competant lighting.

The lighting mood I plan on using is daylight with the sun either setting slightly, or rising slightly. I want to have a nice use of warm colours as well with a feeling of a dusty, cluttered and messy sort of feel. Currently the room is still very empty, and I'm working on producing more props and assets. Sadly I do not have my reference photos with me at the moment, but I can produce them later for this! I'd also ignore the exterior photo as well, as I quickly comp'd that in for now. I'm deciding what exactly of the exterior photo to use as it will judge the final amount of lighting coming from the windows. I plan to, or hope to be using godrays to some degree to help give that aura of dusty air.

*Note - The air conditioner & Chair & Broom brushes are not textured at the moment!

Alien Ship Level

Shot3.jpg

Shot2.jpg

Shot1.jpg

PropOverallWire.jpg

PropOverall.jpg

AGun.jpg

Adoor.jpg

This project is by far more of the mind stumping scene for myself, as its in *very* early stages. I've begun working on lots of concept work, I'll be able to post at some time, in working with ideas to tackle problems that will rise up.

This is being used for a in-game engine that a good friend, video game programmer, is making a small game along the side. He asked if I wanted to help, and I was glad to as working in game engines is a great challange and a good way to enhance the portfolio. Currently, the focus he wants is to have modular pieces along with decently low poly models. The textures however can be somewhat modest in resolution. The game he is constructing, will be based in RTS view at most times. So the camera is never right up close. The artstyle, he left to me descretion, but I want to keep consistancy for each level. I'm going with a purple/teal/blue colour pallete for this 'alien starship' level. He wants the alien designs to be heavy on technology, not on organic ( Metals, computers, lasers... along those lines. ).

This is the only level that is a interior, and I'm having a difficult time at some points wrapping my head around on how to make structure assets to keep the levels interesting. He plans in the far future to have the levels randomly generated on a section basis, so that is why it is heavy on the modular side. Any suggestions, good technological alien styled reference, or ideas how to tackle a interior RTS level to add far more to it with structure AND props... I'll gladly appreciate!

*Note - Forgive the poor lighting in this. Right now the game is in extremely early stages and the focus right now is getting a basic set amount of structure and prop assets first.

Thanks again for any comments on these matters guys, love the community here and looking forward to being more active again.

Replies

• Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    I love the detail in the woodworking scene, but the main critique I have, which I think applies to both pieces, is the unanimity of color that saturates everything. In the first scene, the red chord is the only thing that breaks up all the brown, as dark as it is, and there has to be a way to change the color of many of your assets so it isn't so dull. Same thing with the other scene - all I see is purple and blue. I know you said the lighting is in early stages, and I think that could help a lot, but there should be a few assets/pieces that utilize some hue variety.
  • keres
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keres polycounter lvl 12
    The purple :) it is great! I don't know why, but it is quite enjoyable. Keep it up!
  • Sinqnew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you!

@ Razgriz - The color pallete for the Workshop is going to be stay generally around the neutral warm tones, however, I plan on bringing in alot more props into the scene to help bring in a larger variety of some colors into the scene. Mainly I plan on bringing some green's and blues into the scene to bring some contrast with all the warm color in the scene.

For the alien ship, the third color I will be adding into the scene when enough is built is a vibrant red/orange to work with to help give some contrast from the very dark and cool purples and teals.