Home Unreal Engine

Shadows On Tiling Static Meshes

I'm currently working on blocking out a level in UDK using modular pieces, and I'm having horrible issues with the shadows.

udk_shadow_tile.jpg

Is there any way to get smoother shadowing across meshes? I know that the way I have the wall built right now isn't exactly optimal, but it's only an initial blockout with placeholder meshes. The placeholders are already set up correctly to use light maps, and the scene currently has just one directional light. In order to reduce lighting artifacts I'll most likely just make bigger modular pieces, but it seems ridiculous to me that it would be so difficult to get shadows to transition smoothly between meshes. Hopefully I'm just missing something simple.

Any input is appreciated.

Replies

• Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Use bigger chunks, use natural seams, build transitional pieces e.t.c. Use bsp or custom geometry chunks for clean, large planar surfaces.

Lots of tiny flat pieces stacked together is no-no. Lightmass GI is more or less interpolated and on top of that, unreal compresses and mips lightmaps like nobody's business. You can't expect lightmap edges on modular pieces to match pixel-perfectly.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply man, much appreciated.

I had assumed as much, guess I was just hoping there was some other sort of fix. It's a shame you can't tile flat meshes like that. Looks like I'll have to do some rearranging and more planning. I'll report back with any improvements.