Home General Discussion

Elder Scrolls vs Notch’s Scrolls?

Replies

• Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    This is about how I expected this to turn out. Still, Zenimax was right to file the suit in the first place, I'm pretty sure the only reason they did it was more out of obligation than actually giving a shit what Notch calls his games.

They probably consider this a win just as much as Mojang, really. At least now they don't have to worry about it anymore...for now, I guess.
  • Docm30
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Docm30 polycounter lvl 10
    Autocon wrote: »
    Not too far from the truth. George Lucas owns the trademark on the word Droid. He makes a little money on every Droid phone sold and each time they use it for TV/advertising.
    He did invent the word 'Droid', so it's a bit different.
  • FinalDragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FinalDragon polycounter lvl 8
    Docm30 wrote: »
    He did invent the word 'Droid', so it's a bit different.

Taking two letters off a word reinvents it?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Two Listen wrote: »
    This is about how I expected this to turn out. Still, Zenimax was right to file the suit in the first place, I'm pretty sure the only reason they did it was more out of obligation than actually giving a shit what Notch calls his games.

They probably consider this a win just as much as Mojang, really. At least now they don't have to worry about it anymore...for now, I guess.

Im questioning the obligation though, since for Zenimax it was more about them believing that Mojang was trying to ride the name of elderscrolls, that was even their arguing in the court.
    And besides, Zenimax themselves owns quite a bunch of singleword trademarks.

Not to mention that they're not a stranger to lawyer practice surrounding their own gainings, if you look at the whole fallout trademark thing.

Kotaku managed to paint some funny doomsday scenarios where mojang would cause zenimax to lose the elderscrolls trademark and skyrim would have its release shifted, it was pretty comical.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Taking two letters off a word reinvents it?

yes ???? Tower and tow are very different words.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    The droid trademark was specifically for motorola phones branded under the name droid, not the whole android platform.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8atE70UgCPY"]The Making of Scrolls // Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i thought mojang was being sued because they were trying to trademark the word "scrolls", not just because their game is called scrolls. no? IF thats the case, isnt that a bit like that twat (forgot his name) and his "edge" trademark? Not that mojang would stoop to that level.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    00Zero wrote: »
    i thought mojang was being sued because they were trying to trademark the word "scrolls", not just because their game is called scrolls. no? IF thats the case, isnt that a bit like that twat (forgot his name) and his "edge" trademark? Not that mojang would stoop to that level.

When mojang filed a trademark for minecraft they also did it for scrolls, zenimax lawyers caught the scent of this and so it began, zenimax would've been on top of mojang even if they hadn't trademarked it, and demanded them to not call it that, most likely also in court.

Mojang even told zenimax that they could drop the trademark if they wished, as long as they could call their game scrolls, or even call it scrolls: 'some undertitle', but zenimax were not interested in that.

Tim Langdell trademarked the word edge and continuously sent cease and desists to people using that word, and on top of that he never actually had any games to use that trademark, there is the difference, he was trademark hoarding.

And once again, look at the several one-word trademarks of Zenimax, or any company.

Out of everyone holding one-word trademarks, Mojang is the one I'm the least worried about.