Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mini Auto Rail Gun

So, I'm constructing a sci-fi gun for my space marine. I just finished baking the high polygon mesh and added a basic color. Just wanted to get some feedback before I start on the diffuse map.

This first image in gray is the high polygon mesh. The second is the low polygon with the normal and an AO map. Thanks! :)

Replies

• Katori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Katori polycounter lvl 7
    Plan on doing a specular map? Gun is quite shiny! Great modeling though.
  • d_woo77
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I'm definitely gonna make a spec map for this. This is just Max's default specular level bumped up a bit to show off the normals. I've already caught few mistakes because if it which I'm now in the process of correcting.

Here's the wire frame for the mesh. Thought it might help. As of now, the model is 1,058 tris.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eh...i think you're somewhat abusing the concept of a railgun here, mainly with the dramatically short distance between the clip and the muzzle. Your railgun will have to fit in that short distance along with any reloading mechanism, and if its using a chemical propellant for an initial kick, while that would decrease the length of the rails and electrical power requirements per shot, it still has to fit in that short space.

If its a pure railgun, the amount of power required to accelerate the bullets to deadly velocities would vaporize parts of the bullets (plasma gun ahoy!, which is actually less effective than a kinetic railgun, because you're essentially shooting fire) and would require a dozen cubic metres worth of contemporary batteries, nuclear power, or some other arbitrary fantasy-scfi power source.

Even as a normal smg, that barrel length is rather short.

I know this has nothing to do with artwork, so take it with a grain of salt, but i'd suggest moving the ammo clip to the rear of the gun, which looks rather purposeless and stitched on at the last minute.

Otherwise it looks good and has a certain borderlands feel to it.
  • d_woo77
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You, sir, bring up a damn good point.
  • d_woo77
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I foresee two potential solutions to this little conundrum. One being moving the clip to the rear, but that would also include rearranging a few other bits (I would guess, like, the loading/charging lever perhaps?). The other (albeit a bit lazy but a hell of a lot faster) would be to extend the barrel. Given my time constraints, I'm opting for the later. Unless, any other suggestions come up. :)
  • HughieDM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HughieDM polycounter lvl 7
    may be make it like a p90 clip on top with the clip feeding the rounds into the back of the gun?
  • d_woo77
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just thought I'd post a quick update on the texture for the gun. Regarding the design, I did reference the P90 (a LOT), so many thanks to re.wind and HughieDM.
    I gotta move on to posing it now. :D
  • d_woo77
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just thought I'd post the final image that I'd been working on. Thanks again to everyone for their feedback!! :D