Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Evil Spaceship - Feedback Please! :-)

Hiyas all,

Here is a spaceship I've been working on for some time. As always when I post, it is with the sincere hope that you will take the time to give some feedback - good or bad, nice or fierce :)

Hope you like it folks!

Cheers,
Akula

Ultores_destroyer_presbild.png

Replies

• ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    how can a spaceship be evil?

looks cool, whats it for?
  • DarthBartus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, you know, Reapers are considered evil :D
  • TylerFluharty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TylerFluharty polycounter lvl 7
    Mesh looks good, pretty clean. I'd probably adjust the cockpit and not have all those edges going to one vert though.
    When it comes to the texture, try to break it up a bit more. It looks a bit too obvious you threw a tiled metal texture over everything. Put some different patterns and try to paint some more details. I'm thinking this isn't zbrushed and you are just using a PS filter or CB to make your normal, if that is the case then you are going to want to fake some shadows and holes with your texture work instead of relying on a normal map to create them.
    Look at some WoW graphics or something like that.
    Painting in your highlights and shadows some will really make this pop in my opinion.
  • TylerFluharty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TylerFluharty polycounter lvl 7
    Another thing, for your specular, use all your scratches and such that you'd paint in your diffuse map push them to pretty much 100% white while leaving the other areas considerably darker.
  • Akula
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @TylerFluharty
    Thank you for your input! Regarding the normal map, I've been using Maya's Transfer map function between HP and LP. I haven't really put in any nuts and bolts anywhere. I guess I should, however, if I am to make a showpiece out of this one.

You're also right about the specular - it looks a bit like a cheapshot. It would need some more work. Same goes for the diffuse, though it is actually not just a metal tile.. :-).

But to answer AE's question; this ship is for a Game Project my group and I made 'bout a year ago. The ship you see is a complementary task, which must fit graphically to the existing game. Thus, I've had to adapt to some limitations in - among other things - the diffuse. Markings of a particular style, colours etc.

Also, the overall rather high brightness of the Specular has to do with this - the game is rather dark, and so are the Bad Guy ships (and yes - this'un is a Baddie). I figured I needed quite a bit of specular to make it visible from a distance ingame. For a showpiece, I know it is over the top, but ingame it actually works out pretty well.

Another thing is the fact that ships move mighty fast ingame, and are most of the time seen from quite a distance. Adding a lot of detail in the normal map is (at least so I'm told) actually pretty bad form, as the player almost never will have time to see any of it.(A cranky Art Director will tell you to stop twiddeling and do somethin' useful instead, like LOD-ing the 259 pairs shoe polymodels the outsorce bureau just delivered...) So hence the lack of knobs and rivets for the time being. Again - I'll go to work on it when I showpiece it, so thanks for the headsup :-)

For those interested, have a look at our game trailer here

Keep posting folks!
    /Akula