Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Video Game Hydrant

Hey guys,

during my spare time at work i decided to fix my old fire hydrant. So here it is. I only fixed the diffuse so far, my old normal map is still applied to it no spec map so far also.

What do you think?

renderface.jpgrenderbackm.jpg

hydrantdiffuse.jpg
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thank you

Replies

• Azaraen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azaraen polycounter lvl 10
    nice! have a little bit of a texture seam showing up on your right hydrant view. But overall good! (have classmates posting here? hehe)
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    I personally wouldn't have the paint pealing off of all the edges on those bolts. It makes it look to cartoony and kind of like an outline instead of trying to get the "old" feel across.
    Great work so far.

Edit; by bolts, I am referring to the red ones.
  • letronrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Evolvyn!

@Josh : yeah i have to agree with you... i know what to fix, and for some reason it seems obvious now...ill post some updates as soon as i work on it

:) C&C are still appreciated
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    The normals you have on there make the hydrant look like its made out of fabric and is a plushy. Did you make a hi-res model for this object?

I would also work on the diffuse a little more looks unfinished,also the spec needs some work play with the values a bit more.

good start but far from finished keep it up though :)
  • letronrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ae : I appreciate your critics and comments and took them seriously. I didnt work on the normal yet ( its still my old normal map applied on it now) and yep i have an high poly to bake. Ill re-do the baking process.

Didnt do the spec map either yet.... but im wondering, what you mean by play with the values more? you mean hue/sat ?

tahnks :)
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    You got the typical syndrome when you get into texturing, people teach you most wear goes into the edges, and you go ahead and scratch ALL the edges of the model, look at fire hydrant photos, I'm sure you wont see any on which the edges are scratched out like that, it looks like someone did it on purpose with a fork, this is what you want to aim for, make your texture look natural, like it's being weared out by nature or over use, and not like it was scratched on purpose.
    And the scratched areas look REALLY rusty, which is ok, but remember that rust also leaks, so it gives you a good opportunity for you to go ahead and put something on it, but be subtle about it!

Also, your normal map is way too noisy and uniform. It's like a noise filter all over the texture, there's no changes through out the model.

And work on your spec map, at the moment it seems your using a very redish spec map, or your using the dif map as your spec map, resulting in a overly tinted reflections.

And remember this is metal, so pump up the glossiness so it actual looks like metal not diffuse plastic.
  • letronrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @HP: thank you taking the time to post comments and critics... but for god sake please read lol....i said... like 2 times in that thread that i DIDNT work on normal / spec yet...

that being said, i totally agree with the leakingi was about to add some. I looked a lot at fire hydrant references pictures but those are actually boring to look at. Fire hydrant are normally super glossy, reflective and the same color all over the hydrant.... this is just boring to look at....

But yeah maybe i scratched to much on the edges. Ill try to put some more realistic damage/rust/scratches on the fire hydrant.

Thanks a lot :)
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    letronrael, I'm terribly sorry mate, I must have missed that part.

Keep up dude, finish this! :)
  • letronrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a quick Update.... i re-did my normal map and my spec at the moment is my diffuse....i tried so many fucking spec technique and it all gave shit....anyway...

Thanks

finalrenderdiffuse.jpg

finalrenderclay.jpg

texturesheet.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • letronrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the big images :/
  • hamzaaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hamzaaa polycounter lvl 11
    I really like your texturing and how you put in this effect of peeling paint in the normal map. But as HP already said, don't overdo it with the scratches ;) Keep it going, looks nice!
  • Boyso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyso polycounter lvl 7
    Nice scratch on this Hydrant, Raphayel! :D
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Scratch it where stuff rubs against it (on the outermost edges)
    Desaturate it where it's more exposed to the sun and weather (the parts that are facing upwards)
    Rust where water from the rain builds up (on the lower ledges)

you can also add some rust streaks where water is supposed to leak. That could look interesting!
    Focus on the diffuse, then start working on the specular!
  • letronrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol.. thank you .... i mean... lol.... this Hydrant is not for the N.A.S.A ... and Fonfa...hope youre not serious about doing the spec after the diffuse because i always start doing my specular map first........ :shifty:

But i appreciate the comments

Thank you
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    *Sigh* You know... you would think it would be flattering that so many people like my fire hydrant so much that they would copy it down to the rust placement, but there you are definitely not the first... and definitely not going to be the last. Has it become the new standard? I think I would mind less if people would say "Hey I got my inspiration from Jeremiah Bigley."

lol sorry man... It is starting to happen a lot. Already had a couple of bad experiences with my work being stolen or copied down to a T. There are plenty of other ways to texture a firehydrant. I would just think at some point employers are start noticing, and I am not out of school yet.

I got a lot of my inspiration from photobucket pictures. If you want I can upload some of them :P
  • letronrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ jeremiah : what the fuck youre talking about i just dont understand?
  • Cordell Felix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordell Felix polycounter lvl 9
    @ jeremiah : omg lol wut?
  • Sixton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *Sigh* You know... you would think it would be flattering that so many people like my fire hydrant so much that they would copy it down to the rust placement, but there you are definitely not the first... and definitely not going to be the last. Has it become the new standard? I think I would mind less if people would say "Hey I got my inspiration from Jeremiah Bigley."

Damn dude..
  • letronrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah ok i get it now... just saw your website jeremiah lol..... to be honest your fire hydrant is better looking than mine and i didnt even know you did this actually i dont even know you as an artist. So no i was not inspired by your hydrant .
  • Serp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9

lol sorry man... It is starting to happen a lot. Already had a couple of bad experiences with my work being stolen or copied down to a T. There are plenty of other ways to texture a firehydrant. I would just think at some point employers are start noticing, and I am not out of school yet.

I got a lot of my inspiration from photobucket pictures. If you want I can upload some of them :P

Maybe... you're paranoid? or maybe you're work is looking like everyone else's work?... either way, that's a pretty douchy thing to say.

EDIT:

Actually,

I just saw the hydrant... i take that back.

EDIT:

Actually,

I don't even know.
  • NordicNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ heh

U mad brah?

Seriously though, maybe a bit of a jump?

Anyhoo...Strangely enough I like the way the latest spec is working a lot better now that its bouncing more orange/yellow.

Whats jumping out at me is your wear along the bottom of the hydrant. It zig-zags a bit unnaturally, bouncing from the top to the bottom. I'd try to break that up a bit more. Nice progress tho :thumbup:
  • letronrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ NordicNinja : yeah you're right about the bottom rust. its not straight i didnt even notice.
    Thank you ! :)
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol sorry man, Maybe I am just paranoid/sensitive to people texturing firehydrants similar to mine. There just seems to be a strong resemblance, and like I said it has happened a couple of times before. I also sell the model on the internet so it is not as far fetched as one might think.

Anyways... Maybe a legit critique? ;)
    Your diffuse is a bit splotchy on the back, try to be more subtle about it. Maybe could use a few scratches to have some variation in damage. Could also have some dirt collecting on the 3 cylinder extruding out from the main body... and have it gradually fade off. Your rust overall is a bit "on off." Like there is no transition from the rust to the paint.

And one of the things that you did that is really destroying your work... is that when you overlayed your rust normal information you did it in such a way that it is destroying your original normal map. If you look at your normal map you might notice that there is almost too much blue. You essentially flattened out your highpoly information. You need to take the blue channel of your "crazybumped" or "Xnormaled" normal and level it to a 128.

Here are some links to explain what I mean.
    http://www.rodgreen.com/?p=4
    http://vimeo.com/8025133

And lastly if it was not clear enough...
    I am sorry :(
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a tut I did for someone a while back...
    This should explain it a little more straight forward than those links.

"A. I traced out your little emblem. Black goes in... White will pop out...

B. I used the Xnormal Filters to covert this black and white image into normal information. You get this when you download Xnormal. During the install for the Xnormal program it will ask you if you want to install the Xnormal filters for photoshop. You can actually uncheck installing the Xnormal program and just install the filters if you want (this is what I did).

C. I set the blending mode for my new normal information to "OVERLAY." But you can see that over my existing normal information it is incorrect.

D. Here is the correct way it should look. And to get this you have to select your new normal information, go into your levels, go to the BLUE channel. And change the output to 128. This makes sure there is nothing brighter than a 128 grey in your blue channel.

The white information below is the blue channel for each step.

You can see in C how it is actually destroying your height information. And in D how you are just adding to it. :P"

attachment-3.jpg
  • mixeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mixeh polycounter lvl 8

Maybe in the city we should just start putting Jeremiah Bigley tags on all the hydrants. Yumadbro?
  • Boyso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyso polycounter lvl 7
    Not only this is quite offensive of you Jeremiah, but letronrael did the hydrant in front of me. It's not because someone does rust on a fire hydrant that it has to be from yours.

Gosh...
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    he did say sorry... :)
  • Boyso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyso polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah hit sent reply when I saw his first reply.

Sorry for it too.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol arguing over a fire hydrant :D
  • downarmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    downarmy polycounter lvl 7
    I believe there is a lot of fire hydrant piece floating around because...

THERE IS A TUTORIAL ABOUT IT ON CG TUTS!

as for the piece you just need to put more love on the diffuse and spec good luck its going in the right way.
  • letronrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everybody ... Since i did all the final screengrabs, renders and stuff , i think i wont work on this Hydrant for now.... I take all your critics and comments in consideration , thats for sure!. If i have time to improve it ill post updates thanks a lot!

Sorry again jeremiah , i looked at your portfolio i love your work, if i use one of your piece as a reference ill SURE ask you before :P kidding cause it will never happens but seriously your work is awesome ! good job

:)
  • mutatedjellyfish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mutatedjellyfish polycounter lvl 10
    Good, now let's all hug!

Also, I learned something from the above tutorial, so well done all.
  • Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    letronrael wrote: »
    and Fonfa...hope youre not serious about doing the spec after the diffuse because i always start doing my specular map first........ :shifty:

This is a joke, right? You can make all the shine you want, but if your diffuse sucks, no one will care because the color information isn't up to snuff.

Also, your spec is less than spectacular, do what fonfa says, do some research on materials, and read this
  • letronrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ der: that was sarcasm....come on
  • chrisundrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisundrum polycounter lvl 9
    Hey letronrael. First wanted to say pretty nice fire hydrant. I would say put up your reference so that we can see what you are working from. I believe really studying the look of different fire hydrants really helps. Don't be afraid of adding different color variations into the diffuse and ESPECIALLY the spec. Also add more wear to parts that would really be used.

@jeremiah_bigley
    Though I would say the texture is pretty similar and the overall look of the fire hydrant but its a fire hydrant. They all look pretty similar. And good links :D
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I_luv_Pixels polycounter lvl 17
    Didnt you guys have to model that hydrant for a class assignment at AID? i had to do it when i went there haha. Just wondering
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    poor jj! its ok buddy i got your back. Come over here ive got some pop soda and cookies! :)
  • letronrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ crhisundrum : Thank you chris for the comments and crits. Like i said , i think i need a break of this hydrant but when i will work on it more ill sure follow your advices. And yep right now I dont even have a spec map on my hydrant so ill work on it too !

@ I_Luv_pixels: im not a student so...