Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Yet another fire hydrant!!

Hey polycount this is my first post of my work on these amazing forums the work produced here is really incredible! I am currently a student learning all the basic's of video game creation and looking to improve my 3d skills. This is one of my early works from a class project and I was looking for some comment's and crit's on this as I will be revisiting this piece for a future enviorment and could use some suggestions of what I should rework or redo on this hydrant so feel free to shoot me any sort of crit's!

Ps. I'm new to using marmoset so sorry for the not so great render shot's if anyone would like to see the texture flats just post letting me know.

Thanks everyone for your help in making me a better artist!

totaly.png

Replies

• Shoy333
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woops sorry for the dead link! :poly122:
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    A few things pop out at me. The lighting for the model seems extremely flat. So neither your specular map or your normal map are getting utilized. A simple 2 or 3 point light setup can work wonders for highlighting all the detail you have put into your work.

Along those same lines, your normal map either looks like it isn't applied in the picture, or that it wasn't derived from a high poly object. For hardsurface objects translating the normal detail from a high poly model to a low one will create a much greater piece of work.

Can we see the flat textures?

That seam on the back can be lessened quite a bit with some minor hue fixes and a bit of elbow grease.

Good start can't wait to see more progress!
  • Azaraen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azaraen polycounter lvl 10
    Hello! Welcome to Polycount! And you've taken a great step in looking for improvement here at polycount! I have found this place to be a great resource!

I noticed right off the bat (because the picture is large enough) that you have texture seams! You should try to blend one side of the texture image with the other side, where it connects, to avoid that. Clone one side to the other may help, and keep looking at how the the texture looks on your model to see if it is convincing enough.

OR, you can try picking a part of the photo texture that is of the same saturation and value all the way.

Another thing is that you should try is using Normal maps in with your diffuse! That would give your hydrant more depth without the extra polygons.

That's all for now. Soo.. keep at it! :D And have fun learning!