Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

APB Zombie Character

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
seth. polycounter lvl 14
evening folks,

started work on another character, taken from the APB Zombie concept by Arnold Tsang seen here : http://arnistotle.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2y828w
I have msg'd him to ask for permission to make the character, but havent got a response yet so if this thread dissapears at some point then you know he said "no" :)

early days, still blocking stuff out, then I will start getting more of a likeness for the character in the second pass.

comments and crits more than welcome, especially any advice on the muscle groups of the forearm...im struggling a little with them at the moment.

anyway pictures :

wip2.jpg

thanks for looking

Replies

• seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    so, I have decided to combine the original concept with the Graffitti artist concept from THUG 2...hence we have backpacks and such.

still going to work the face up properly but having a gasmask too :)

A mixture of blockout and half done and such, but its getting there.

wip4.jpg
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Nice, looking pretty solid so far. :)
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Great start. Reminds me of your guile. Are you using the same base mesh?
  • Sliterin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sliterin polycounter lvl 11
    In my opinion you should go in that concept:
    Meanwhile-in-Greece.jpg
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    shrew81: thanks very much:)

LRoy: Thanks man, actually this is the first time that I have used a base mesh generated in Maya rather than going straight at it from Zspheres which was the process for guile and the rest of them....its nice to have decent fingers right from the start :D

Sliterin: great shot,,,wait...is that a rake...?..ffs!

Brink is too pretty, lost half the day to fleeing the Ark...huge props to the SD art team...hence less progress today than I would have liked. Skateboard is done,(needs a detail pass in Zbrush though) rucksack is well on the way, and i tightened up some of his anatomy I hope.

Pictures!!

wip5.jpg

deck.jpg
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    looks sick, deff following and looking forward to more !
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    CandyStripes05: thank you very much :)
    chipping away at the high poly, looking forward to getting some textures down on him now.wip6.jpg
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    good job so far.

I think the abs are too long in the upper area, and the lower abs are too short, which makes the naval appear really low.

I would also re-visit the wrinkles in the back of the shorts, they don't really seem to make sense atm.

Otherwise its looking awesome man, you have some really cool forms going on here. I like the overall proportions a lot.
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    Kind of agree with Brad, the belley button seems a tiny bit lower than I'd expect.
    The lower sock maybe could be tucked under itself a bit more?
    I dunno looks great man.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Lonewolf: ta much :)

BradMyers82: thanks man, I am reworking the butt creased right now with some better ref...I agree on the bellybutton too now that I look at it, best get that sorted then.

Bonebrew22: agreed on the sock situation, I haven't quite gotten down to them yet past roughing them out but I will make sure that the short one looks more bunched...thanks man :)

right, lunch done...best get back at it :D
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Morning, butt creases fixed, and bellybutton raised :)

still to do:
    Socks, underwear, belt buckle, wallet chain, wrist band, glove, give him a face, and maybe a few neclaces....sorted :)

sorry if I keep posting with what looks like only a few changes btw....this thread is just great motivation to get stuff done

wip7.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

*edit...are his forearms too long?
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    Looking good! To answer your question on the length of the forearms - the point of the elbow to the tip of the middle finger measures 2 heads. So check that.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks Kot_Leopold, looks like they are ok, just looked a bit odd in the last shot

Progress:
    Alternate head fun.....I stole the dreads from an old model, they will need a little taming before I can low poly them I think :)
    wip8.jpg

as ever thanks for looking :)
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    ironed out a few things today, and learned how to make chains properly, ended up doing a quick basecoat fro the skin and tats, I'm thinking that I will free hand them on a seperate polypaint and then bring them over as a layer in PS so that I can blend them properly....I think that will make the most sense.

wip9.jpg
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    his pants look about twice as thick as they need to be with those holes in it, i can see the thickness of his pants. it's like they're made of thick rubber or something. also there's no natural hang to them, also a rubber-like quality
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Hey N88tr, thanks for the crit man, I will see what I can do tomorrow about changing up the shorts a bit :)
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    O.K. looks like the high poly is done, on to the polypaint next.

wip10+HPfinal1.jpg

I'm still keeping the gas mask as an alternate, but I prefer his actual head now I think.

*EDIT* worked more on the shorts, and added some interest to the right leg
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Please: No tattoos. for the love of god, no tattoos. Don't make him a cliche.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Hey Adam: awww...but....but....I was looking forward to painting those (well to be fair I was looking forward to when they were finished cos they are going to be a bitch to get right)....how about I keep them as a seperate layer and try the texture both ways just for giggles.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Hes looking good, Ive done a quick paintover I thought may help, its only quick but I think the shoulders need relaxing mainly and the abs need playing with/raising so he doesnt look like hes sucking his gut in. His shoulders are looking a bit disconnected aswell right now so some transitional stuff may help. Hope you dont mind :s great progress buddy :)

34fmf50.jpg
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    excelent stuff thanks Crazyfool...totally taking all this on board, the moment that you mentioned he was breathing in it was so obvious....thanks a ton for this man :)

more to do then!
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Keep raising the bar for yourself man, don't stop at tattoos. Make him different.
    I would make him into an urban tribal man or something give him some markings with spray paint or something with better texture. just, go crazy. and... what happened to the gas mask?
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks nice seth keep up the great work man
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Alberto Rdrgz: You have a very good point...I will have a think about what could be done to make him a little more unique...I tend to get carried away more in the process of making than concepting sometimes and I guess that the tat's are an easy option.

makecg: thanks man, really digging the character that you have just started too btw, but i'm saving my comments for once he's fully into zbrush :)

Crazyfool, once again thanks...your crit opened my eyes a ton, and although I'm not sure that I'm 100% on track yet I feel that we at least have progress.

Gasmask esp for Alberto, and backpack removed for a clearer look at the anatomy:

wip11.jpg
    Thanks again guys :D
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    ok, tidied up after the moving session that the character went through...I think that this is it! starting on the LP tomorrow, while doing a few paintovers for where I could take the texture.

Any advice/crits still more than aprciated:
    wip13.jpg
    thanks for looking
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Sliterin wrote: »
    In my opinion you should go in that concept:
    Meanwhile-in-Greece.jpg

Holy shit its pyro! with a backscratcher aha!

The model is looking pretty nice atm. Anatomy is pretty baalnced. Great work ;D
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Ta much Lazerus :)...and yeah it is!!

well after recent kallamity and a bit of faffing about (including a lot of posts with no pictures!) I have the low poly pretty much built for this guy, Tomorrow I had better get a start on the UV's and such....I really want this done and dusted before work starts, so that I can tackle a concept by the wondefrul Jouste as my next project....I promised him that I would get it started at the beginning of June so I really should :)

sorry for the notchy rotation....I just wanted to look like a cool kid. ( i'm secretly hoping that if I copy tacit's rotation posting some of his awesome will come my way :D)

skater+rotation.gif

thanks for looking :)
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    been a while huh? sorry other things got in the way ( read borderlands dlc and taking a few days to doss about before starting work)

the bakes are done, just a few areas of waveyness to sort at the bottom of the shorts and the shoes and I can start throwing some colour on him

wip14.jpg

thanks for looking and stuff :)

*edit* 13793 tri's all in, in case anyones interested.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Enough for tonight...I have to be up early, first day of new gig...YAY!.

progress on the colouring in phase....base colour, spec and finally getting my head around the gloss...just the main body mat atm...the backpack and hair are on seperate maps so that I can switch stuff around with the gasmask...anyway pictures :

wip15.jpg

crits, comments, good stew recipies all welcome so that I dont look like a complete jonah :D
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Hey Teriyaki style thanks man....I was originally all proud of how few tris I managed to do the trainers in but I think that you are right, I will have to throw more geo at them and do a rebake, the face was kind of a concious choice to change it, but I will make sure not to over age him in the texture if he's already a bit borderlione.

Thanks again :)
  • mjackson126
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice to see you working on something new Seth. Dude, you really like to make those elongated torsos lol! Other than that, I think it's looking pretty good. Still could use more variation in the diffuse, but i'm sure you're not done texturing. Keep going man.