Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New character

I'm bored as hell now that I've graduated and since jobs have not rained down upon me I am trying to add something to my portfolio.

I'm going with a modern soldier (tactical gear, assault rifle, etc) in a sort of big hands, big head cartoony TF2 style.

I want to use minimal normals (folds, straps) and use the TF2 style guide for my modelling (large details, emphasis on scale/silhouette).

Here's a quick sketch of my characters main parts. I've started with a paint over of Nizza's base mesh. I don't know what it is but it just has this really nice proportion/shape/contour to it that makes me want to make characters. So big props to him for sharing it with the community and helping me get out of a rut.

I'll be primarily sticking inside maya for all my modeling and only uzing zbrush for the intial anatomy study, the clothing (pants, shirt) and the pouches on the vest. (Utility pouch, large mag pouch, ID pouch, pistol mag pouch)

I should be posting every day or every other day so please stick around and help me get this done.

I've also attached a few of my references because they are mind blowing - all of the ref pictures are actually highly details dolls.

Boosh.

paintover.jpg

ss041_9.jpg

SS0056-22.jpg

ss041_24.jpg

Replies