Home General Discussion

Cronyism in the game industry

I have worked at 5 game studios now over the course of 10 years and have experienced gross cronyism at 4 of them. Most recently an individual several years junior and sub-par in general was promoted to "art-lead". The reason given by the art director was that he had known him for some years. In my experience, an art lead leads by example, not by words. So how do you reconcile this? Is this the case where you work? How systemic is this issue? How much do you think this contributes to the wealth of crappy game art?

Replies

• TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Can't say I know how to help you, but doesn't an art lead lead by words?
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    i dont think its an industry problem. it looks more like a cultural problem.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f7/World_Map_Index_of_perception_of_corruption_2010.svg

As you can see, the US is very high in its corruption percent index.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I always thought an Art-Lead not only must know how to speak and be a team leader, but also have skills on the technical and art side.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    roosterMAP wrote: »
    i dont think its an industry problem. it looks more like a cultural problem.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f7/World_Map_Index_of_perception_of_corruption_2010.svg

As you can see, the US is very high in its corruption percent index.

That's perceived corruption - asking citizens of a country how corrupt they think their government is. Also "A higher score means less (perceived) corruption". So enough of this silliness.

An art lead is more about managing and less about art, most leads I know don't have time to do any art at all, they are completely swamped with managing their team.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An art lead is more about managing and less about art, most leads I know don't have time to do any art at all, they are completely swamped with managing their team.

I'm really confused now, what do you mean by 'managing their team'? As in the make sure the characters don't have biceps bigger then their heads, or make sure everyone is not on LoL?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    I'm really confused now, what do you mean by 'managing their team'? As in the make sure the characters don't have biceps bigger then their heads, or make sure everyone is not on LoL?

Nope, it's up to the lead to figure out who models what and how much time they have to do it.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13

As in providing critique and direction, scheduling work, delegation of tasks, etc.

Depending on team size, you'll usually have a hierarchy that goes something like:

Art Director
    Associate Art Directors in charge of X discipliens
    Discipline Lead
    Artists

And depending on staff size, etc, you trim out Associate ADs and Discipline Leads.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, people promote and hire people that they like. SHOCKING.

Who would you promote? Someone you're friends with and trust, or a slightly more talented individual who you either don't know very well, or even dislike a little.

Try staying at a studio longer and making some friends.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    aesir wrote: »

Who would you promote? Someone you're friends with and trust, or a slightly more talented individual who you either don't know very well, or even dislike a little.

:thumbup:
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10

+1
  • Brendan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brendan polycounter lvl 8

Here's the thing. When there's bugger-all in it, then everyone can accept that, because it really could have gone both ways regardless of who was making the choice. If person A is a mere 1.869% better than person B, then the difference is less than a good day or a bad day or work. Also known as sweet bugger all.

The issue here is when one candidate is significantly better than another, they are the obvious choice, and then the person in charge picks their friend who should still be a junior. THAT pisses everyone off, would almost definitely have a bad effect on productivity and quality, and then you're going to have those two eventually dealing with it.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Brendan wrote: »
    Here's the thing. When there's bugger-all in it, then everyone can accept that, because it really could have gone both ways regardless of who was making the choice. If person A is a mere 1.869% better than person B, then the difference is less than a good day or a bad day or work. Also known as sweet bugger all.

The issue here is when one candidate is significantly better than another, they are the obvious choice, and then the person in charge picks their friend who should still be a junior. THAT pisses everyone off, would almost definitely have a bad effect on productivity and quality, and then you're going to have those two eventually dealing with it.

Just because the majority thinks someone is the obvious/correct choice, doesn't mean it is. The facts are, it's the art director's ass on the line if the person he promotes does a shitty job. He's going to promote someone he trusts not to fuck him. And I sincerely doubt he'd promote his friend if he thought his friend might fuck up and make him look bad.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Just because the majority thinks someone is the obvious/correct choice, doesn't mean it is. The facts are, it's the art director's ass on the line if the person he promotes does a shitty job. He's going to promote someone he trusts not to fuck him. And I sincerely doubt he'd promote his friend if he thought his friend might fuck up and make him look bad.

You'd be surprised.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary wrote: »
    You'd be surprised.
    I knew it! Sexual favors trump all!
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Trust and whoever gets the job done - that's my criteria for promotion. You wanna be friends, good. But if you cannot get the job done, you're not gonna get promoted. Why? Because as boss, your failure is also my and my team's failure. Being friends doesn't help anyone if you cannot get the job done.

You don't necessarily have to be friends to trust someone in a business situation like this. If they get the job done and have a track record - there's your trust!

Personally I'd leave a studio where you have to suck up to your boss to get ahead and where relationship counts more than skill and ability. Sure some people call this a management style but it ain't my thing.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I would be willing to bet that the reason he gave you was more specific than the duration to which he's know this new art-lead. And if it wasn't, it should be your instinct as someone who's worked in the industry for the past 10 years to ask these questions as an immediate follow-up. That, in my opinion, is how you reconcile or gain some piece-of-mind.
  • cromagnet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks all for the response. My loosely coherent statements are why one should always take time to mull something over before approaching your boss. :P

Unfortunately, there was not more reason given and it has been re-iterated a couple times now. This same lead was last in charge of a visual mess of a game.

Honestly a guy who had been working on the project for 6 months prior should have been given the opportunity and wasn't and he ended up quitting over it and went to a competitor. The short of it is that it is demoralizing and ultimately hurts the success of the studio.
  • cromagnet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I should mention that the visual mess of a game was also one that wound up with several people out of jobs. The rubber hits the road when being friends with someone interferes with other people's ability to pay rent and put food on the table.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    As much as I agree with some of the comments made here we all know that the industry is pretty far from perfect. Your boss' choice sounds like a typical one made by a person who can't think outside of the box. Picking your friend as the lead can go both ways; you are either good enough friends to be honest and tell him that his work sucks whenever it does or you're too polite to each other and can't be honest because you don't want to risk your friendship.

An art director should, imo, have these two things; 1. Be good at what he does and have knowledge of how things work(both technical and esthetic)
    2. Be a good leader and have the respect of the rest of the team. The latter can be achieved but I suspect he's gonna have a hard time gaining that. Especially if he's less experienced than the rest of you and would lead you guys into a ditch.

In the end this is all up to you. If the boss makes these kinds of decisions and you feel disturbed by it you can always do what your friend did, leave and join the others.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    I always thought an Art-Lead not only must know how to speak and be a team leader, but also have skills on the technical and art side.

this might be an ideal solution, BUT often companies don't want to lose their strongest workers to managing positions, sometimes you can see a split in the job field, someone leading by example and doing the whole art process and another person doing the managing part of the art lead. But most of the times you'd either have a highly skilled artist sitting in the wrong position, juggling with spreadsheets or having an artwise less skilled guy doing the lead. Beeing the lead of a team is not always the best thing to do as an artist, it sounds higher, might be better paid but often you end up doing stuff you dislike - A LOT.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Just because the lead isn't the best artist doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's doing. A general isn't the best warrior either, but he's the guy who has to see the big picture, deploy the troops and distribute the work.

It's all teamwork anyway - the way I see it is that the lead should set the general direction and help the team to ensure everyone get their stuff done in the best way possible. As lead you help your team to get the work done! (and sometimes push them a little bit if they feel lazy ;) )...anyway, that's just my take on it.

Having said that - I'm annoyed by those "I'm the best artist - I do the most interesting stuff!" leads. Great way to demotivate everyone by giving them boring pieces to work because the lead cannot delegate...
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    better than some [EDIT]Woman[/Edit] fucking herself all the way to the top and place her other (partly unskilled)fuckbuddies in all the highly paid positions. that division is sorta closed now :D
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    better than some [EDIT]Woman[/Edit] fucking herself all the way to the top and place her other (partly unskilled)fuckbuddies in all the highly paid positions. that division is sorta closed now :D

I fucked my way up the ladder.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Office politics tend to exist when there's larger team sizes and people can fall through the cracks.

Best way to combat this, is to get everyone on the same page. Tougher to do on large teams.

Other thing to be wary of are the descenting voices. Guys that create rifts on the teams. Make sure you're not involved in the bitch-fest or hate-gang groups.

BTW you'll be surprised at how many studios do NOT have a heavy mandate on quality+efficiency. Simple way to determine this, is to take a look at your annual evaluation criteria, and find out what % of the questions have to do with just that.
  • gaganjain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like Jacque Choi said
    It best to avoid bitch other artist and hate groups
    It no denying that Office politics does't exit
    Every industry has it....
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    uhm, so how did he do?
    I dont see what nr's of year worked has to do with wether or not the person can do a good job as a lead?