Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Bearded_Man - Environment Art

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Bearded_Man polycounter lvl 8
Hi guys,

Well I have been searching for a suitable place in order to receive some constructive help, guidance and feedback regarding my portfolio. I hoped by making a post here may prove to be a good start J

As you may be able to gather after looking at my site I have set my sights on environmental game assets, this is where I believe my greatest passion and skill sets lie.

Although as of yet I do not have a vast variation of work to present and I am aware that my portfolio is far from finished, I hoped that I might have just enough pieces for feedback and hopes of gauging if I am working in the right direction.

As like most out there I am working hard towards becoming a junior environmental artist and I hope that by using this post and critique from it, it shall better my chances to landing suitable interviews for the future.

http://glynnrichards.carbonmade.com/

Thanks again for your advice and comments it’s a great help.

Cheers

Glynn

Replies

• Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, sorry for bumping up the post. Its my first post on polycount and this got posted 4 days old stright away :/
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    I would put that middle east scene in UDK or any other contemporary engine. Also, Need to start working more with normal maps, man. some of your textures are really hard to see for this reason. i think u got some pretty cool stuff just missing those things and bit of love in the lighting department.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    for your middle east scene, try to get away from the stereo typical "yellow" filter a lot of people do to make it seem warm/middle eastern. by adding some cool blues to your ambient/shadows you get a bit more depth to the scene and also pusing the overall image a bit brighter makes it seem hotter rather than just adding a yellow tint. here is an example of what I mean.

street_01.JPG
  • Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Pixel,

cheers for the advice I see what you mean :) It brings the colours out much better.
  • Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Bearded_Man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    It looks like you've bumped the thread. :D

here's my input. not a big fan of the middle eastern street. here's why.
    1. the scene lacks contrast. you need super bright areas and darker areas that are in shadow. the lighting seems fairly neutral.
    2. Shot 1 shows a nice angle, good detail. Shot 2 however, everything looks extremely bland. in general id say try adding some variation to your wall and ground textures. toss more than just cynder block and palettes on the floor. take up the amount of color on the buildings.
    3. im taking a huge shot in the dark here but im gonna assume you did not bake anything for the buildings. you need to. generally.. (and i put this in caps to stress a point, not to yell at you) CRAZYBUMP WILL NOT MAKE YOUR STUFF LOOK GOOD. the crazybump specularity is terrible. spec needs to be derived from the texture, not some preset b/w depth and value slider. same goes for normal maps. normals need to be baked in order to look proper, not generated. if in the event im wrong on any of those accounts (for 3), ignore.. but im like 95% sure i recognize those CB generated maps anywhere.

Market piece looks nice but im not sure what im looking at in the texture for the red/green area with all that noise. im hoping its not the fruits n veggies but ive got a feeling thats what it is.once again on that.. looks like generated normals.. looks like crazybump (actually more-so nvidia). in general if you absolutely have to generate normals.. use nDo and use the full spectrum option. it gives so much depth/height that cb or nvidia wont.

industrial shack looks cool but would look Xtimes better if it were baked with displacements n normals n AOs n that good stuff. and im curious to see flats for it.

apache - for 12k tris.. it looks very low. especially the cockpit area. it looks like most of your tris are going to cylinders and chamfers which it doesnt need to be. the texture is kinda blotchy and lacks any detail.

in general, you're on a great start. keep working. look up some tuts on hi to low poly baking. really get into high poly stuff to make your models pop. and like i said.. just keep at it.
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah, same comments as the other, bake some ambient occlusion maps on your environment, they looks flat. Also, CrazyBump is the worst specular maker app, but good for normal map. You should make the specular from your diffuse. Try to look at reference pictures, by observing the picture, you'll able to mimic the same specularity on your works. The specular is very important, it will let us know which kind of material it is (metal, plastic, glass, etc...). For the market place, you could use floating geometry to save some triangles too. :)
  • jetskee96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking at the market stand, I noticed a render without "shaders", personally I would dump that image and replace it with one showing off your normals and ao bake. Just a little two cents from a noob.