Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Environment] Hatch A-83

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Boyso polycounter lvl 7
Hello,

Showing off my new WIP for my final for my second semester. All critics are appreciated, but I probably won't have time to fix everything.

The concept art I used was made by Aaron Foster here :http://razorb-art.com/2denvironments.html

Please don't mind the number on the left wall, didn't get all texture done and applied.

Some props are missing spec maps.

renderw.jpg

render1u.jpg

The ceilling also needs texturing!

Thanks!

EDIT : Also, I noticed the highlights on the floor were way too white/intense, it's been fixed.

Replies

• Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Im gonna be tough cuz i wanna make this concept eventually... :)

First off,

The Scale is getting kind of wacky. The Stations are a lot more narrow than the concept. I would widen them a lot more maybe by like x2. Your door seems wider than the concept and has less depth to it. The windows are lacking the sharp angle from the concept (the angle looks to be around 110-120 degrees>?), yours is a lot more open. The separators in the concept have a lot more of a slope to them compared to yours. Yours seem to be really subtle.

On the textures side:

the repetition is very obvious, I would not texture in the numbers but actually use decals. I would also, make at least 2 versions of panels.

Good luck man! i think with those tweaks it'll start to really come together for you!
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    everything is good but the door. all the other things in the room are interesting angles, and the door is just a square. thats lazy. I order you to redo it.

the lighting is really nice, tho i wish some light was coming down from the ceiling. that area looks a little dark.
  • Boyso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyso polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks you guys!

@Alberto Rdrgz :

Wow thanks! I agree totally. I gotta say, the perspective of the concept kinda threw me off thinking the pillar were more open.

The station when seen in the game looks wider, maybe it's only my screen grabs that are giving a wrong perception, I'll take a better shot next week!

Good idea about the tiling, never thought of that. I don't think I'll have time to make all these changes for my deadline, but I will change them ASAP.

@RoosterMAP : Haha, Aye aye! I hate the door as well. I kinda just did a plane with normal map thinking about improving it down the road but the importunity never came and I've been busy improving the textures. I will certainly redo it before handing out the project, thanks for reminding me.

Somehow, my light isn't boucing like I would want. I added two omnies in the corners to help clear out a bit of the shadow, but I do believe as well needs a bit more tweaking!

Thanks for the comments, really appreciated, only way I'll improve! I do intend to put this up on my portfolio, better be as good as it can be!
  • Boyso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyso polycounter lvl 7
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    You might wanna play with the lightmass settings. That's where u could fine tune how ur light behaves.
  • Boyso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyso polycounter lvl 7
    New (and Last) door. Tired of working on it now :P

door1e.png
    door2.png

:D
  • letronrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks like it has been done with no effort, love or passion... :)
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    Everyone else is seeming to be a bit harsh so I'll atleast say congrats you have it put together, now tweaking and changing things here and there are all that's left, there are some good critiques here, if you follow those I feel it will look even better!
  • TylerFluharty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TylerFluharty polycounter lvl 7
    You are doing very clean work and it's good quality. That previous comment by letronrael was just harsh and pointless. Alberto made a great point of having different versions of your meshes, and once you get in some spec maps it'll really make things pop.
    I really think this looks great though so good job.
  • letronrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I said this because i know him in real life ... lol i was kidding ... dont worry it didnt hurt his feeling ... :) im not that mean usually
  • Boyso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyso polycounter lvl 7
    Hello,

Don't worry about letronrael, he still isn't good with english and sarcasm. :P

Here's a quick walk in my scene : [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6UlQf49K0w[/ame]

All suggestions are welcome, I won't have time to fix it by the end date, but I'll work on fixing everything!
  • BradleyWascher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradleyWascher polycounter lvl 13
    I think its getting there, your modeling and texture look pretty solid I would just say look at the atmosphere in the concept a little more. The Little bits of dust in the air, the light shafts that highlight the dust really give the scene character. Work on finishing that out and you'll have a great piece. Keep up the good work.
  • Boyso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyso polycounter lvl 7
    Thank you!

Here's a Marmoset render for my main props that were baked.

mesh1.jpg