Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Sci-Fi Floor Panel

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ZeroBigSis polycounter lvl 10
Hi all,

This is my first post, although I have been lurking around Polycount for a while now picking up loads of useful info - thanks! :)

I've decided to do some hard surface modelling based on Paul Richards concept work (www.autodestruct.com), in particular taking reference from his Quake textures.
I would love to hear any feedback/suggestions/etc.
[IMG][/img]scifiplatform.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Modelled in 3DS Max

Thanks for your time

Replies

• CrackRockSteady
    Looks solid, are you planning to bake to a low poly mesh and texture it?
  • ZeroBigSis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi CrackRock, thanks for the reply.

So I've modelled the lowpoly and baked out the normal map and AO.
    Having a few shading problems on the railings - think this is down to smoothing groups as have tried to keep them on a single smoothing group and changed the angles away from 90deg to decrease splits, however seeing as the UV map has splits guess this is now a moot point (?)- trying to get my head around vertex splits atm :poly142:
    Also the AO bake seems to be skewing the grip plate in the middle and there are a couple of detail bleeds on the AO map that will need to be dealt with.

Normal map was baked in max and AO baked in xNormal, rendered in Marmoset:

Wire:
    platformwire.th.jpg

Normal map only:
    platformnm.th.jpg

Normal map and AO:
    platformnmandao.th.jpg
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    you need to break up your smoothing groups in different groups at all of your 90 degree spots. And there are plenty! Then re bake it of course. I also see a few edge loops on the rails and floor that don't like they are there for any reason. Keep it up, i'd like to see this cleaned up and with some nice color and spec on it.
  • Luigi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luigi polycounter lvl 5
    wow, it looks good. Nice work
  • ZeroBigSis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks - will get cracking now
  • ZeroBigSis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hiya guys.

Finally got some time to work on the Sci-Fi floor panel!

Thanks Southpaw for your comments - have taken note and hopefully covered everything in my revision.
    I've gotten rid of some of the edge loops, redone topology where it made sense to use normals rather than geo. Redone the smoothing and baked out new normal and AO maps and have started to texture it.
    Had a bit of trouble with the normal maps with all the sharp edges and ended up taking the normal map into photoshop for a few minor touch-ups <- was trying to avoid having to do this.
    Anywho...this is what I have so far, C&C would be greatly appreciated:

Wire
    platformnewwire.th.jpg

Normal map only (Marmoset):
    platformnewnm.th.jpg

Texture start (WIP)- diffuse map (no spec)
    platformnewtexture.th.jpg

• SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    looks wayyy nicer! Nice job. Clean a simple topology now :)

A couple other things I noticed:
    The yellow and black stripes don't sit will with the floor tile. Caution stripes are "supposed" to be used around corners and edges where there are moving parts or danger to human appendages. And I don't think that floor tile is a trap door or something XD Try playing with just a darker metal color for added contrast.

Also, I see a little bit of warblyness in your normal map where the corner of the railing is. This can be fixed by adjusting your cage correctly and re-baking, or by straightening it up in photoshop with the liquify tool or something similar.
  • ZeroBigSis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Southpaw - did look a bit wrong with the caution stripes, my thinking was along the lines of 'danger side of walkway' but was waaaay too heavy handed.

Just a quick update to the texture for now, not sure about the grill on the circular connectors - they look like speakers to me atm (maybe to play some nice calming ambient music through whilst slaughtering the opposition hehe :poly124: )

platformnewtexture01.th.jpg
  • ZeroBigSis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick one - this has taken a while as was using it to really get to grips with normal mapping and spec. Here's my final result:

platformtexturesall.th.jpg