Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK Environment + Character C&C needed

Hey guys, I've been browsing this site for quite some time but I didn't really have the courage to post any of my work. Seeing that I only have a couple of weeks before I finish school my teacher insisted I post my work here for some criticism. :poly122:

Environment: I deviated from the concept because I just couldn't get a good looking wood texture. I decided to go with dirt and i think it turned out ok. Normals and lightmaps aren't done yet.

Character: As for the character, she was inspired from Assassins Creed but I don't have a solid concept for her. I feel there is something wrong with the legs or the boots... What do you guys think?

53791442.jpg
54169380.jpg
68515855cw.jpg
99217463.jpg
unled1cb.jpg
unled2qb.jpg
1assassin.jpg

Replies

• lvl_Keen
  • HughieDM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HughieDM polycounter lvl 7
    Im guessing you mean stone and stucco for the building material
    thats important for when you looking up reference
    I think my biggest gripe with your scene would be the scale.
    Your texture scales seem to be too big and low res grab some reference of a stucco buildings and look at the scale of the detail
    Your ground is also needs some love
    Your roof should be a wood or stone shingle not wood slat based on your concept also in general no roofs are made out of wood slat

As for the character Im not a character artist so maybe some one can help you a bit more with this but I think your feet are too small

Hope this helped keep it up
  • lvl_Keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Env: Yes, my textures are a bit off scale. I'll get to that soon enough and post a update.
    Think I understand what you mean about the roof. (on my to do list) :)

Char: I have changed the size of the feet. Will post a update as soon as i fix some stretching issues i have with the lower leg armor plate.

Thanks for your advice
  • lvl_Keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Character Update.

I fixed the silhouette a bit.
    Enlarged the feet.
    Added more definition to the calfs.
    I better defined the knees.
    Fixed a issue with the shoes and added a slight dent on the inner part.
    Adjusted the inner thighs, and moved the legs a little further apart. Straitened the legs.
    Changed lower leg plate to match hand plates.

26797122.jpg
  • lvl_Keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Environment: The progress i made so far.

progressb.jpg
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    I love the lighting and the feel of it!

IT looks like the left side of the building is floating off the ground though. don't know if that's the case or it's just a funny shadow.
  • fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    The lighting and overall looks very nice.
    But the floor and house look too clean, those trees are great and looks like has a lot more geometry than the main assets of your scene.
    Some small assets and grass would fill that space... :thumbup:
  • lvl_Keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will add something to make the houses blend better with the ground, grass maybe, some stones here and there. Stones around the camp fire. I also plan to change the ground.

Thanks for the feedback!

Updates soon.
  • MonkeyMHz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All of its looking good, but that bloom on the fire is something else (tone it down a bit). I also think you could push the ground a bit more and really get it looking good with some time spent in material editor. Also, the ground seems a bit too clean like others were saying.

I'm really liking the feel though.
  • Reese'sPieces
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks incredible. My main critique would be to make the scene a little more lit, maybe with a lamp on the table or hanging. Maybe near the crate/table (the fire's in the way, sorry!) to bring a little more attention to it.

I think the characters looking good, just a little more detail to the face.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Pretty neat so far. I'd highly suggest upping the res on your ground textures, though.
  • lvl_Keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First of all i want to thank you all for the great feedback. :thumbup:

Environment update:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdMjoNPyH58[/ame]
    I improved the lighting and mood. Fixed the dust particles a little bit and made the fire light flicker.
    To do list: 1. Fix the unwrap of the first house. Believe it or not i just noticed the stretching when i shot the video. :poly127:
    2. Fix the unwrap of the benches
    3. Fix the ground :poly122: Add some grass here and there (so that the houses don't look like they are floating.
    Due to the fact that i have classes tomorrow, i'll probably work on it/finish it on Friday. After this i'm going to call this done.

P.S. I apologize for the delays in updates but i'm currently working on other projects as well.