Home Unreal Engine

Basic MipMap problem - need help!

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Kuki polycounter lvl 8
Hello guys, I am not a Udk expert and I have a mip map problem in my Scene...I searched on the web and tried to change the MipMap/Lod settings of my textures as suggested from some udk users, but I can't find a way to work it out.

It seems a pretty basic issue to me but I am stuck, I don't know what I am missing..

Here is the prolbem explained and the "default" import setting of my asphalt tile texture, anyone coul give me some advices on how to proceed?

:)

Thanks

basicproblem.jpg

basicporblemmipmap.jpg

Replies

• Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    It just looks like you need some anisotropic filtering ;p
    But you can change the mip map settings with the Mip Gen Settings, it's visible in your screen.
  • Kuki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kuki polycounter lvl 8
    I changed the mip gen settings but the situation doesn't change.... :(

Where can be found a master anisotropic filtering "variable" for the entire scene?
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    This is so much a problem with your texture or the UDK as much as a general limitation with 3D graphics in general.

What you're seeing a trade-off between performance and visual fidelity. You could just turn off mip maps entirely in the mip-map settings. That will stop this from happening (probably) but also hugely increase the texture memory requirements of your scene. So it's really not an ideal solution.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    A solution to this issue (at least, in the case of Mount and Blade, the Dev's even made a tutorial for this solution, but I cannot find it for some reason) is to add some 'deformations' in the polygons, so that there is a much more clear reading when the MM's kick in.

I don't know how to explain it properly, but basically, if you have a house, with tiled roof, extruding every couple of inches on the roof, will stop that nasty MM fading which you will be getting.

I'm not sure how UDK deals with this, nor how you can deform the ground to avoid this issue, but I would say to set your own levels of Mip's if that's possible.
  • Kuki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kuki polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for the suggestion guys, turning off the mipmap isn't valuable cause it generate too much noise when the camera is moving. I thought there could be a faster solution. I don't know how to manually set mips, any tut about it ? I'll go check the web
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I'm not sure about TGA format nor how UDK does it, however, I'm pretty sure a (DDS) DXT1/5 texture should do the trick.

http://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop

You should be able to tell it on how many Mip's it should stop.
  • Kuki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kuki polycounter lvl 8
    Probably I miss something, you're talking about the .dds format that can be exported by photoshop..

as I know...Udk doesn't support native .dds images. It support Tga and Bmp and once imported, their converted to Dxt etc...

p.s. I am working on a Fall 2010 udk build
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    As people have mentioned that's quite normal behaviour for almost any realtime engine. It's not a problem. many games on the market do this exact thing.

If you want you can run the game with "-MAXQUALITYMODE -NOTEXTURESTREAMING" in your shortcut. But even then you'll probably still see some mipping on textures.
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    Xendance wrote: »
    It just looks like you need some anisotropic filtering ;p
    But you can change the mip map settings with the Mip Gen Settings, it's visible in your screen.

Anisotropic filtering is a GPU setting. With Nvidia GPU's you can find the setting in the nvidia control panel.
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17