Home Technical Talk

Tile Texture / How to make it more credible ?

Hi there !
I'm training to create materials and I've some problem with this one ;

97e39ad5490f5320e7ae0e9bda91dtt.jpg

I would like to create a tile texture wich look like Bathroom tiles to put it on a floor.
Actually, it looks more like Concrete tile and it's anoying.
I don't know what to do to make it more realistic and interesting to see.

I've also created this tile material but the difficulty was different ;

bd0f269f0f868629d8e39174b5bact.jpg

The scorch I painted disturb me a bit but I cannot explain why.

So, here's my question ; How can I improve my materials ?
Thanks !

Replies

• passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    what are you rendering the material in, and do you got a specular and gloss map.
  • keres
    Offline / Send Message
    keres polycounter lvl 12
    Be sure to use normal maps! Diffuse is just one of many components that go into a material. If you're using only diffuse, you're using only 1/4 of the material's potential, and at best 1/3.
  • Ace-Angel
  • .morph3us
    Offline / Send Message
    .morph3us polycounter lvl 14
    thats because you havent got a shader applied to the diffuse...
    throw it into your favourite renderer with a normal map and crank up the reflection.
    it'll instantly look a lot less like concrete!
  • hoenheim
    Thanks for your answer !
    I was persuaded that a good texture was mainly thanks to the diffuse.
    I think that the first one looks good, but that's not really the case of the second.
    It looks too "perfect".

67345e5aec864a873cbaa056f288ftt.jpg

282fdbf30bdb22bea155b85b10392tt.jpg

(I work with UDK )
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    If the second one looks too perfect, play around with the Spec and Gloss map the same way as you would play with the link I posted before to give a mixed spec quality of the map.

Also, decals might help.

However, word of advice, if you're going to dirty the floor just for the 'sake of it', don't, in real life, we have plenty of floors, even in college dorm rooms which are plenty a-clean, so you must always evaluate your environment as whole instead of something by itself.
  • .morph3us
    Offline / Send Message
    .morph3us polycounter lvl 14
    for me the reflections arent glossy enough...
    the tiles would be burnt and then covered with some kind of clear coat.
    the reflections are too monotone right now, try to make you spec map a little more uneven, just throw in some naturally scraped overlay maybe?
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, is the ground polished (EI: Waxed, etc)? A good and cheap/dirty way to break up the tiling on polished floor, is to apply a cube map and vertex blend it.

So certain parts will have a little tiny bit of reflection, while other parts will be worn out. You could also put this idea to use:

http://filmicgames.com/archives/557

I think we can help you better if you dig up some reference images of the material type, so we can help you better on how to achieve said idea.

Link you might wanna look into:

http://www.chrisalbeluhn.com/UDK_Advanced_Vertex_Painting.html
  • hoenheim
    These images from Bioshock are my references ( It's just for training Actually I'm just a student.) .

f928ef201a7cf706259fda0f0acfftt.jpg

3791e9cff9a0507a8a0bbe4f5e4c4tt.jpg.

for me the reflections arent glossy enough...
    the tiles would be burnt and then covered with some kind of clear coat.

What do you mean by "burnt" ? It's just an "imaged" manner to make it dirty ?
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    So certain parts will have a little tiny bit of reflection, while other parts will be worn out. You could also put this idea to use:

http://filmicgames.com/archives/557

Really interesting link, but I though that the Fresnel was expensive in UDK ?

I've modified the specular and added variation like in the first link (brick variation).
    But I think like xXm0RpH3usXx that some overlay would be nice. I'll try this tomorrow.
    30884256ad2566623c42f1c845046tt.jpg

cb3410d63e8f9b4b58b9794a34bc0tt.jpg
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Coming along nice mate.

Are you using detail normal maps? Using the same idea of the variation maps, with a small normal to give your models extra detail can help abit, although you don't really need to use it in this case.

Fresnel isn't as expensive as one might think, they're the cheapest solution to many spec/gloss issues. Again, you don't really need it, and someone else can explain it better then me, I'm sure, but it will help you tighten the falloff much better. I might even be wrong on this point.

Anyway, looking at the image, I cannot figure out if you beveled the edges of your normal, they don't look as sharp as the one in Bioshock ones which read out better, mind posting up the normals?

6go0f6kc.jpg