Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rigging Final C&C :)

Well I finished my rigging class with an " A " but my teachers c&c and positive feedback means nothing with the advice that comes from this community :). So let me know what yall think.

I modeled the RX-93 Hi Nu Gundam from Char's counter attack.

Programs used :

3ds max 2012 ( Modeled here )
Maya 2012 ( Rigged and animated here )
Sony Vegas 9
Fraps

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pMNjiZXCMo[/ame]

Replies

• DeeKei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uh i cant see any links or anything?
  • Ron.S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry I forgot that :P
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    The rig itself looks pretty damn good, I'm not an expert rigger or even close so I can't comment on that in much detail but I have a few notes about the video itself:
    - The see-through wireframe is really messy, it's hard to tell what's going on there. I think you should either drop the wireframe shots or put the wires on top of the solid mesh so that the topology can be seen clearly.
    - You probably don't need to show that the rig does something on the right side of the mech's body and then the same on the left, I think it's probably safe to assume with symmetrical models. Focus more of the time showing off everything the rig can do.
    - The repeated animation shots at the end seemed really awkward to me.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    Very solid rig! Reminds me how much I hate rigging (But love the results it gives). I'd loose the wire frame of the mech, you're showing off your rigging skills, not your modeling in the video right?
    Instead you'd probably want to show the skeleton that you built for the rig. Lastly at the end show an animation from the front side and back, you don't need to show the same animation from as many angles as you have now.
    Also I'd say keep showing the rig working on both sides, there's a lot that can go wrong with symmetrical rigging and showing only one might make it look like you're hiding something. Once again though very solid, You should be proud of this.
  • winternights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good rig:) we can also comments about animation?
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah a left and front of the animation, then a back and right, side by side is usual a good practice to show off a in-program animation+rig.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGuW-i8ugn8&feature=related[/ame]

A set up like that workd well and gives all the needed angles. Just edit it in a video studio package.
  • Ron.S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks very much for the C&C,

The animation was done in less than 5 mins i agree it was sloppy and not so well done, I will be editing this and redoing the animation sequence.

-The wireframe was a mistake I meant to render the rig skeleton, but I'm new to maya viewport 2.0 :P so again will edit that ASAP.

-I will create a format to show off the geometry itself I am not really a rigger, but i do enjoy learning every aspect of 3D, and would like to be a generalist / assest modeler.

Any more C&C in future reference i appreciate very much guys thanks !
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    Hey Ron, good job on the final! The rig looks solid, do you have any plans to go back to the model and make a HP version of it, or a game-ready version? You've got a lot to work from here, since I know the time frame given for the modeling was only a week or two.
  • Ron.S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey raz ;) whats going on buddy ? I would like to experiment with normal baking due to the fact that I have not really done that. I would like to create the highpoly mesh, as well as the low poly/game ready mesh. I just have to find time so :P and the modeling ya was like 1 week so I had to hurry it up sadly.

But I wanna go back and beef it up, any advice for the HP version as well as the low poly how should i approach it ? Any tips are very valuable.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Hi. First off I would like to say great job on the rig! You did a really nice job with it.

As for baking a normal map to pump up the detail... Here are some tips I wish someone would have told me when I was starting out.

- With high poly modeling for baking it's important to know your final texture size ahead of time. That way you don't model details that are too small for your normal map to display well.

- Reference is key! Gather as many images as you can before you start. luckily gundam has some really amazing plastic model kits to use as reference. http://dalong.net/ has some great reference (even the exact mech you are modeling I believe)

- While it's always a good idea to practice good edge flow and topology keep in mind that triangles and n gons are not a huge deal since it's all about how the final product looks mapped to the low rez. I used to agonize over a few triangles and ngons in my high rez mesh and I spent a long time trying to get rid of them all. If it's taking too long to fix, move on as long as it looks good.

-Small Spheres intersecting the mesh will look like bolts when baked to a flat surface. (Credit for this one goes to the winner of Dom war 4)

-X normal is a life saver and I wont be attempting any baking in the future without it.

I'm not the greatest artist around but I do enjoy sharing what I've learned so feel free to PM or email me for any additional info or critiques.