Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP: Glock look-a-like XD45 tactical

pumbaa
polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
pumbaa polycounter lvl 15
Piece for my portfolio and for me to gain further experience in low/highpoly modeling, baking & texturing.

Currently have some normal map issues in marmoset while it looks good in the Maya viewport.
Support edges added to the lowpoly managed to remove some artifacts, but keeping that up to remove all artifacts will just totally mess up the model, is there another way around, am I just being picky here or do I actually have to keep adding support edges?

Baked with Maya Transfer Maps.

Appreciate any kind of feedback!

First up Maya HQ viewport:
wip01_maya_hq.jpg
wip01_maya_wire.jpg

Highpoly:
wip01_maya_hp.jpg

And here are the marmoset issues:
wip01_marmoset.jpg

Replies

• Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    Try flipping your green channel.

Also, your hp model's edges look too tight, softer edges produce better normals.
  • pumbaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suspected that, I'll do some rework. Cheers mate.
  • pumbaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cleaned up lowpoly topology, loosened up hp which improved the look of the normal map at some areas but I don't think that's what causing the artifacts.
    Tried baking normal map in xNormal with same result.

Decreased mesh size in marmoset to match ref human scale, no good.
    Updated graphic drivers, nothing.

Maybe there's not enough lp geo? Currently at 4442 tri's.
    Could be that I am on a shitty laptop? In that case I'm in deep feces:
    Need job to buy PC to create portfolio to get job.

Here's a couple of more images.

issue_comparison_01.jpg
    issue_comparison_02.jpg

wip02_maya_wire.jpg

Normal map with visible errors, why? :(
    xd45_n.jpg

EDIT: Added normal map flat.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Try triangulating before you bake it. And then take that into marmoset..
  • pumbaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man, did a quick test and a lot of the artifacts did disappear, very much appreciated!
    Guess it was lack of geo then huh
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now, or well maybe, but max/maya/what-ever-program can differ in the way it triangulates compared to marmoset.. :)
  • pumbaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good to know, thanks again Herr Olsson.

Here's the latest, almost all shading errors gone now, a few minor tweaks left.

Any other feedback is more than welcome.

wip02_marmoset.jpg
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Much better :) MI think you should smooth some of you edges out a bit.. Like release brn for the mag and the trigger :)
  • pumbaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You mean on my lowpoly model?
    I did some on the highpoly but I guess I could've done is some more :)

Here's wip on texturing:

wip03_marmoset_01.jpg
    wip03_marmoset_02.jpg
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Pumbaa... That's really, really beat up for a model of pistol that only came out a few years ago. That gun looks like it's seen the worst of the African brushfire wars for 25 years or more. The wear on the tennifer-coated metal slide (extreme wear) doesn't match the level of wear on the polymer frame. The material depiction of the polymer frame doesn't quite look right, either... not enough spec, I think.

Here's some reference I posted of my P99... it's construction materials and surface finishes are extremely similar to the XD. Here's the thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86256
  • pumbaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I completely agree it's too much.
    The polymer frame has received some work now, only had a brief texture overlay in the diffuse channel nothing on either spec or gloss, probably should've mentioned that.

Those refs are amazing, I forgot about them, thanks for them and for your feedback GarageBoy9

Here's the latest update, decreased the texture size to from 2048 to 1024, it became too much to handle for this laptop.
    Started on the polymer frame and decreased that slide wear, also tweaked the materials & lighting back and forth.

EDIT:
    Has anyone had any troubles adding detail maps in marmoset? I can't seem to get mine to show up at all

wip04_marmoset_01.jpg
  • pumbaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updating, other work came in the way thursday and friday but today I finally got to finish this.

I am pretty satisfied with the result and I have learned a few things to think about for my next project.

I am still listening to c&c so pretty please bring it

xd45_01.jpg
    xd45_02.jpg
    xd45_03.jpg
  • sneakymcfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your textures seem sort of blurry for a 1024, could we possibly see some flats?

I like the current level of the wear it has but maybe add some more localised wear, say some grease marks on the grip, that and the reflection on the grip looks a little tight compared to some of the pics I have seen where it appears to be slightly broader than the metal but then again that doesn't leave much to distinguish the plastic from the metal as they seem to have been about the same amount of reflectivity.

other than that this looks pretty good.
  • pumbaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your input, the lowres is probably because I rendered out in x2 res from marmoset.

Anyway, here's the flats:
    xd45_flats.jpg
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    are you photo-sourcing textures?
  • pumbaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes I am, using a tight scratch brush for some edge wear and grunge brushes for dirt, but yeah, very much cgtextures used in my work. Why you ask?
  • Coridium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coridium polycounter lvl 15
    Are these images for your folio?

As I just wanted to make sure that you knew that the high pass filter you used on them to sharpen your render is out of sync with your model (post #13, first and second image right hand models). If you look in the grey areas of the image you will notice ghosting. I am not trying to be an "ass" just wanted you to know, so that it does not end up like that in your folio.
  • pumbaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh snap, that was clumsy. Nice spotting Coridium, thanks a lot man
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pumbaa wrote: »
    Yes I am, using a tight scratch brush for some edge wear and grunge brushes for dirt, but yeah, very much cgtextures used in my work. Why you ask?

2psolg8.jpg

Also:

2wm2zb9.jpg
  • pumbaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allright, I'll def have that photo sourcing thing in mind and be more careful in the future.
    El trianglo es fixed, had to spin the edge.

I also optimized the slide model and rebaked it, from almost 4500 tri's down to 4181.