Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Needing some advice

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
ZacD ngon master
I know "polycount isn't your blog" so I'll try to keep this short and impersonal, hoping some of it can helpful for artists a similar situations. But I feel its important to my situation to explain where I am in life.

I've been doing 3d since Highschool, flash games before that in middle school, and I was always into the backgrounds and scenery more than characters or animation. I graduated high school with mostly a photo-real product design looking stuff portfolio and then got into game art. I started posting here, got an internship at a local animation studio working on an iPhone game but that never really went anywhere while taking some traditional art courses at my local community college. My parents had move to Ohio due to my fathers work, so I basically had to get a full time job to stay in Kansas with my partner. Currently I'm working full time at a call center and trying to work on my portfolio on the side to land a game art job.

I've always liked environments and props so I decided to keep up with my strengths (and I've always heard its easier/less competition for those jobs).
I'm currently at the point where I just need to polish up everything I have and then start sending my work out. Yesterday was the first time I really every tried sculpting a face, I hope I'm not taking too much pride in my work or became too attached to it, but I feel like a did a great job and I really enjoyed the process.

1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png

My question is this, is it worth it to start investing time into character art now? or should I hold off on it?

If I finish the bust, and make a low poly for it, should I include it in with my environment work or make an extra page for it? or just put it in my back pocket for now? is it possible to use character work to market myself as a generalist?

I know there's some obvious finishing up and polishing I need in my portfolio, but after that, am I missing anything? or would I be fine applying for entry level positions?

Replies