Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Making a Gears oF War Lancer, but in need of suggestions..

Working on a Gears of War Lancer Assault Rifle. I'm using the Triforce varient as my reference, I know not as accurate, but i like it a little better in some respects. Comments and Crit's appreciated.

1.jpg

Replies

• Quasar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quasar polycounter lvl 19
    Will this be used for projecting onto a low poly model? If so, just keep the parts separate and use floating geo where applicable like screws and rivets. I think it would also help a lot if you refined your blockout more before getting into the smaller details.

P-90 looks great!
  • Mr_Paris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quasar wrote: »
    Will this be used for projecting onto a low poly model? If so, just keep the parts separate and use floating geo where applicable like screws and rivets. I think it would also help a lot if you refined your blockout more before getting into the smaller details.

P-90 looks great!

Thanks,

Right now the Lancer is high poly only. I may bake it down for practice later.

What would be the best way to float the piece on top though? I feel like it just looks awful the way it is now, and it's hard to keep the distance between the first & second pieces consistent especially along the curve as it bends down toward the side. I just want the transition to be really accurate and have good edge flow. The proportions are feeling sort of off too at this point, so maybe a better blockin would be beneficial, might try and do that first. I haven't decided if Proxy method or straight up Highpoly modeling workflow is the best way to go about this piece?

Thanks for the suggestions.
  • Quasar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quasar polycounter lvl 19
    Try modeling the whole top section of the gun, from front sight to rear sight, as one smooth piece with no layering. Then duplicate it, cut in the shape of the first layer and extrude (along normals) and delete the unwanted faces and tweak the edge flow so it mesh smooths nicely. You can then duplicate this layer to create the smaller ones on top using the previously described method. I would recommend you keep all the layers as separate elements/objects and just crash them through each other. If you really want to make that section one solid mesh, then combine the layers at the very end when you're happy with how the whole model looks, otherwise it's a bitch to tweak :)
  • Mr_Paris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, that helps. I'll be working on the blockin today so I'll post updates in a bit.
  • Mr_Paris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright here's an update, finally have something I'm pretty happy with. Comments and crits always appreciated.
    makeup2.jpg

DSC00663-1.jpg
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Um...you posted the same image as your first post.

regardless...so far so good.
  • Mr_Paris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well my intent was to save people time having to scroll, but I've readded the original one so you can see the difference.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    too early to give any real crits. Looks like a good blockout.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keep going, you're doing fine
  • Mr_Paris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright here's an update on the gun:

original_299380_IXU6dtmaO0T8AzsefWSVPSGSl.jpg
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    throw some AO or some decent lighting in that high poly render so we can see some details! It APPEARS to be a pretty decent high poly model. :D