Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Detailing combat boots

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
Im trying to make a pretty decently detailed pair of combat boots for use in characters, but im having a hard time putting in the layered fabric without the jagged edges.

Heres what I've started with, what are some ways of achieving this?
bewtsmate.png

30.jpg

Im not looking for super detailed, as its only boots and won't be a "huge" part of the character, but id like it to be acceptable and not an eyesore.

One alternative I have is to just run with what I have now and do the rest with texture work.

Replies

• Erafic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erafic polycounter lvl 10
    Hmm, for the flap that lies underneath the shoelaces I would at least have made that a separate mesh (and made the boot hollow) It would be easier to get the separate feel like that. But if you're meaning the leather bits sown together onto the boot... well I'd say the same thing there, its one way to do it at least with separate subtools. :\
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Model the boot as separate pieces and then use Zbrush to add fine details like stitches and leather texture.

zJPcY.jpg
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Both of those ideas ran through my head guys, my main concern was how difficult it would be to keep those layered pieces right smack on the surface, is there any easy way to do that? Or will it be lots of frustrating point pushing and pulling?

Oh! herp, maybe mesh extraction would work good?
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    frell wrote: »
    Both of those ideas ran through my head guys, my main concern was how difficult it would be to keep those layered pieces right smack on the surface, is there any easy way to do that? Or will it be lots of frustrating point pushing and pulling?

Oh! herp, maybe mesh extraction would work good?

Why would the separate pieces need to be right on the surface of each other? Just let them intersect enough that they don't clip out of each other and it'll be all good in the final low.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I mean in the high poly when keeping the faces along the boot contours, but it (shouldn't) be too hard to just plane model it