Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Security Camera

Hello polycount!
I made cartoony security camera for some practice. I plan to make a low-poly, normal map, diffuse and maybe a specular. Here's my high-poly.
cameraxa.png
Crits appreciated!

Replies

• Erafic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erafic polycounter lvl 10
    Looks nice. Is it completely symmetrical or do you plan on changing the highpoly any more?
  • n88tr
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    Looking pretty nice. The smaller screw seems to be in a pretty strange place though, as it doesn't look like it is accessible without removing the curved cover.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Security cameras are usually articulated in some way, so you can point them at stuff, or have them sweep an area.

Not sure if the bent cylinder is going to be pliable. If so, you might want to make it more obvious, with your mesh, or the material you end up applying to it.
  • Phones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies!
    @Erafic: The highpoly is staying symmetrical. I was going to add a little recording light, but I ran out of room.
    @Glynnsmith: The camera is supposed to rotate on the bent cylinder. I don't think it's immediately obvious though. I'll play with the texture.

Got some wires and a low-poly here!
    hilow1.png
    hilow2.png
    hilow3.png
    hilow4.png
    Low poly is just below 900 quads. UV mapping is next.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    bake the screws into the lowpoly.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    thats a lot of detail for such a small and insignificant object.
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    yeah forget the screw geo and delete that edge ring that is really close to the screws, that part will bake just fine, there are also two edgeloops you can delete on that section that holds the camera up, and be sure there aren't any faces in places you can't see, like on the back where it meets the wall or between various pieces. But most importantly IMHO is that quad count's don't matter, only tri counts, based off of 900 quads I would guess at 1800 tri's, but things aren't usually made out of all quads, triangles are fine too.

You have one Ngon I pointed out, usually it's best to work with only half of things or use a proxy to see how it will look, I understand how it's not always useful but it will keep from having ngon's on one side while not having it on the other, anyways quick paintover for you, delete red and add green :)

quickpaintover.jpg

It looks great btw, mine is just technical stuffs!