Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP / bruce from finding nemo(?)

Hi guys, let me introduce myself first.

My name is Josue Marquez, and I'm currently studying Digital Animation.
This year(second) they introduced a Maya course and right now we are suppose to animate a fish and make an underwater scene.

Anyways I wanted some thoughts/criticism on my shark and see if you can help me in anything.

Sin-ttulo-2.gif

This is a preview of what I've achieved so far, the caustics is just a ocean(?) material attached to a target light.But I'm not convinced with the effect

tumblr_lnxo9ed5fo1qioc90o1_1280.png?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1311392010&Signature=%2BdeY8Fv%2Bfoc4P6Pas%2FGYs64qp1c%3D
tumblr_lnxo7tmkUq1qioc90o1_1280.png?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1311392045&Signature=UM3b08nDBO01MO73XwAjcJPHRaY%3D

And this is the model in question.
I know is missing a normal maps with scars but the one time our teacher tried to make normal maps,It didn't work lol.And I don't have the time to try it miself,I barely work 2 hours a week in it(my pc died D:).

Any tips on how to make the underwater escene look cooler ? like how do you make a cheap volumetric ligth ?

Cheers !

Replies

• xSmashx
    In my opinion, needs underwater weeds and a little more variation.

Other then that I would say it looks amazing.
  • Sliterin
    Offline / Send Message
    Sliterin polycounter lvl 11
    Model is good, but texture need to be remaked. You do very noisy diffuse what isn't good idea, because it's simulate some detail, but noone know what detail ;].
    See lines on the side of shark. It's unregular and color transition (from white to blue) is sharp not moody like in your diffuse.
    http://www.friendburst.com/file/pic/photo/2011/02/bluecol-shark-jpg.jpg

I know that you're doing cartoon shark, but still please use reference to see how it skin looks like. And last think when you do cartoon style character you need to use many solid colors and only use diffrente saturations of it. See texture here:
    http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/199/2/2/ibergil_constructive_by_hellstern-d400s2a.jpg
  • owaru
    @xSmashx : Thanks ! Yeah we are suppose to add seaweeds, bubbles and all the stuff Maya comes with but my scene is already slow enough because of the 3 blend shapes :/.Once I make the animation good,the underwater feel and the cameras movements I'll be sure to add all that.

@Sliterin : I know D:,the problem is that I didn't make a texture per se, it's just a bunch of materials and weird stuff done in the hypershade, with a different UV set for the blue to white transition.I could make the ramp more sharper but I would have to make huge changes in the UV.

I'm positive about redoing it,from the ground up(I didn't even make nostrils to him lol)but right now I'm in a rush because of the deadline.

Thanks for your input ! :poly136: