Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3DS Max render problem :S

Basically I made a high-poly dumpster from a tut and when I'm in 3ds max's viewport the lid is perfectly fine then when I render the mesh screws up?

I can't work it out.

Comparison,

render_problem1.png

Replies

• Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    It looks like you have an actual mesh, from a blockout, or low poly, that is being rendered, but not visible in the viewport. Try unhiding all layers and objects.

EDIT: By the way, post this in technical talk next time, that's what it's for!
  • xSmashx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz wrote: »
    It looks like you have an actual mesh, from a blockout, or low poly, that is being rendered, but not visible in the viewport. Try unhiding all layers and objects.

EDIT: By the way, post this in technical talk next time, that's what it's for!

Thanks Raz!

I tried un-hiding everything and theres nothing hidden :S
    It's totally wierd and I've being trying to figure it out for an hour.

also, thanks for the tip as I was unsure were to post.
  • owaru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you sure ?
    If you move the lid the weird shape stays there ? (move the lid and render again)
  • xSmashx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2nd render with explanation,

render_problem2.jpg
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    Well, in the spirit of just solving the dang problem, have you tried going to element sub-selection, detach/clone just the lid, and delete the original?

If that doesn't solve it, then you can try the usual - reset your X-forms, maybe export and import as an OBJ, all that good stuff.
  • owaru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maybe the base mesh for the lid you see in the render has inverted normals ?
    try turning backface cull on(or off) I don't know
  • xSmashx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz wrote: »
    Well, in the spirit of just solving the dang problem, have you tried going to element sub-selection, detach/clone just the lid, and delete the original?

If that doesn't solve it, then you can try the usual - reset your X-forms, maybe export and import as an OBJ, all that good stuff.

Raz! thank you so much!
    I`m new to max and I didn`t even think of that!

Thank youuuuuuuuuuu!!!
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    Hehe no problem, glad I could help. Every once in a while Max does quirky things that defy the laws of reason, the trick is just to outsmart the little devil.