Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Kot_Leopold

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
Hi there! The time had to come sooner or later. Decided to finally open up my first sketchbook ever on here to see how much progress/improvement I'll be making over the next few weeks, months and years.

Currently I am doing some major anatomy studies so do expect to see quite some of them for the time being.

AnatomyStudy01_front.jpg

AnatomyStudy01_profile.jpg

AnatomyStudy01_back.jpg
(I haven't touched the hands yet)

Comments and critiques are very welcomed! Don't go easy on me poly120.gif

Either way, let the journey begin!

Replies

• Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Looking good so far!

The only thing that really jumps out at me is the area where the rib cage connects with the abdominals. Other areas of the model show an understanding of the anatomy underneath, but this area feels a little vague and unsure to me. I'd suggest going back to different reference material (skeleton, muscle, then with skin, in different views) and see if you can't define it better. The other area that looks a bit vague to me is the section of the back between the shoulder blades and top of the buttocks.

Great start!
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the hands today:

hands_dorsalplantar.jpg
    Mezz wrote: »
    Looking good so far!

The only thing that really jumps out at me is the area where the rib cage connects with the abdominals. Other areas of the model show an understanding of the anatomy underneath, but this area feels a little vague and unsure to me. I'd suggest going back to different reference material (skeleton, muscle, then with skin, in different views) and see if you can't define it better. The other area that looks a bit vague to me is the section of the back between the shoulder blades and top of the buttocks.

Great start!
    Thanks mate! Appreciate the feedback.

I actually did have trouble with sculpting the back. It was too defined with lats, traps and spinal erectors at first so I ended up dialing it all back down by smoothing everything out and this is what happened. Gotta really study the back some more, it's always been a problem area of mine.

As for the abs connecting to the ribcage, that area is unfinished since I was doing a planar study at the beginning before I decided to put muscles on the figure. I'll make sure to revisit that area!
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    the forearm is way to short i guess. the hand looks good to me - maybe the both main fingers are a bit too thick.
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT wrote: »
    the forearm is way to short i guess. the hand looks good to me - maybe the both main fingers are a bit too thick.
    Hey, thanks for the suggestion! You're right, the forearm was only 1.5 heads long which is way too short.

Here's the fixed version of them as well as the abs:

forearm_abs_revision.jpg
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I did a little outline of an ear on a simple plane to show the general flow and naming by parts.

So if you find yourself struggling when making some ears, feel free to grab this little reference!

ear_outline_zbrush.jpg

This by no means replaces a reference from life because no two ears are the same but it's definitely something to keep in mind when constructing one.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah, the abs are definitely looking better now!
    Also, am I crazy off with my anatomy, or are the pectorals looking rather odd right now?
    chest-front.jpg
    By this image I quickly grabbed off of google, the ends up the muscles go over the area and end into the armpit area. Your model appears to have them becoming concave as they near the shoulders and clavicle.

Keep going with him, it's coming along well!
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a planar head study today. Calling it done (eyes were a pain!).

planar_head_study01.jpg

planar_head_study_threequarter.jpg
    Yeah, the abs are definitely looking better now!
    Also, am I crazy off with my anatomy, or are the pectorals looking rather odd right now?
    chest-front.jpg
    By this image I quickly grabbed off of google, the ends up the muscles go over the area and end into the armpit area. Your model appears to have them becoming concave as they near the shoulders and clavicle.

Keep going with him, it's coming along well!
    The pecs look fine to me. They are supposed to insert beneath the deltoids and above the biceps brachii onto the humerus (upper arm bone) which is true in my case. The image above is totally incorrect.

Here's how it looks:

chest-anatomy.jpg
  • TheWox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beautiful work Kot! Love the clean planer look.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Wait wait wait... google came up with an image that was wrong?!? -mind blown-

Yeah, I see what you mean from the image you've posted. Something in the area is still feeling a bit off to me, but maybe that's just me, so you might want to check with other people on what they think.

Great head study!
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another planar head study. Male this time:

planar_head_study_02.jpg

planar_head_study_02_three_quarter.jpg
    TheWox wrote: »
    Beautiful work Kot! Love the clean planer look.
    Thank you! Glad you liked it!
    Wait wait wait... google came up with an image that was wrong?!? -mind blown-

Yeah, I see what you mean from the image you've posted. Something in the area is still feeling a bit off to me, but maybe that's just me, so you might want to check with other people on what they think.

Great head study!
    Yep, guess Google came up with an ecorche image in which the artist missed the mark, unfortunately. Wouldn't trust such 3D models for reference as much as I would 2D drawings from various well-known anatomy books (by Peck, Goldfinger, Bammes, etc.)

Glad to hear you dig the head!
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Timmywithag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Timmywithag triangle
    You don't see feet to often around here though maybe that's just me, only been around for a short time. Good job looks like it has weight on it in that overhead err um foot shot.
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some old studies of mine:

skeleton_anatomy001.jpg

skeleton_legbones.jpg
    You don't see feet to often around here though maybe that's just me, only been around for a short time. Good job looks like it has weight on it in that overhead err um foot shot.
    I'm glad you like it but to be honest, something looks really off to me, especially in that front view. Still trying to figure it out.. I think it's the sole of the foot.
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    The shapes and proportions on you skeleton need work, especially in certain bone width. The ribs look way too small as well. I know these studies are old, but whatever.

Also, in response to your feet issue, the toes need to be brought closer into the center of the body (as in a wider foot I guess). The arches look great and your details in the toes are spot on except for the thickness of the toenails.

Keep it up :)
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @suburbbum Thanks mate!

Something I've been working on recently. Still a work in progress:

anatomy_male_wip002.jpg
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't updated this sketchbook in quite a while... School is eating up all of my time.

Here's quickie I did today from a polysphere (Nefertiti, female pharaoh):

nefertiti3.jpg
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sculptris_skull.jpg

Tried out Sculptris for the first time. Pretty nifty app I must say! Should've started with this first, although I do miss some of the brushes found in ZBrush (clay, hPolish, claytubes, etc.)
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ladyknowles polycounter lvl 7
    Great work :) Love it all!