Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fem mech character WIP-progresses

First time here. My tutor thought it will be a great idea to make an account here and get the snot beaten out of me with criticism.
Just kidding.

Doing this for a uni project and it is for a character that will be under 3000 polys. Never made anything that high poly. I've been modding for warcraft3 and all ive done are rather low poly models so this should be interesting.

Going to be just posting sketches and WIPs of the model when I actually start making the model as well as narrating my line of thought. This will hopefully keep me in track. As well as being the basis of my design doc.

Since I have a lot of sketches and this is first post so it is rather long.

wip1k.th.jpg
was going for some sort of character with an unconventional weapon. like, not sword or shield. also hunched. was thinking of a blade with retractable blades or something.
wip2f.th.jpg
then disfigured that bit more with some over sized scythe as an arm
wip3zw.th.jpg
further continuing the disfigureation, decided to grow a massive cannon in the chest and perhaps no arms.
wip4z.th.jpg
making it more and more mechanical. decided to put big arms. might walk kind of like a gorilla.
wip5o.th.jpg
cleaned up concept of the above. planned to go with like a desert camo and the gears reminiscent of the nazi germany stuff.
wip6f.th.jpg
tutor said my class time would be rather wasted if i didnt take this opportunity to learn about skin texturing and...something weighing...cant remember what the word was... i didnt really wanna mix and match mech/organic but went on with it. fooled around with bits and pieces and ended up with a pretty cool arm design. in here, a shriveled up man is restrained in a fetal position and plugged into the robot/mech.
wip7y.th.jpg
image now cleaned up a little. this is when i realised the person is pathetically small. and no matter what i do with the current concept, it wasnt gonna change. i really liked the whole unnatural-ness of the concept and wanted to keep that feeling while making the human part rake a bit more prominence.
wip9.th.jpg
thats where i came to this. the main torso is a female human torso with some augmentations on the spine. the limb are mechanical and the arm design came from the previous design. also hacked on a assault rifle as a head. bullet is belt-fed from the backpack. and also put a chainsaw to see what i could get away with. rather liked it. satisfactory ratio of fleshy and mechanical bits.
wip10b.th.jpg
concentrating now more on the torso since i was pretty happy with the arms. the chainsaw has been replaced with a fake face. still havent decided if it should he holograph or physical/mechanical. maybe should be a mixture. the gun has also been changed. first one was vaguely based on FAMAS but decided to go short and stubby with a kriss vector. on the final design, will take visual components to detail the head.
wip11.th.jpg
progression of resizing and cleaning up various parts, continually shortening the head. Still unsure about the face.
That's it for now. also, i will stop using this ugly thumbnail thingy once i got something more pretty