Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Environment - Village/Forest scene - WIP] C&C needed

Ostraga
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Ostraga polycounter lvl 8

Hey guys, been following this site for quite some time.. finally decided it was time to post some of my work and get some good C&C. I'm finishing up my last semester and trying to finish up this environment for my demo reel. Started off this project a little late, decided halfway through my semester to change my concept.. theres about 1.5 month - 2 month of work here including learning UDk time. It's still a WIP but I'm looking for any comments / critiques people have to offer.

It's a Village / Forest scene.. somewhat inspired by Witcher 2 outside of Flotsam.

screenshot3cg.png screenshot4ph.png screenshot2ng.png
a%3Escreenshot3cg.pngscreenshot3cg.png

Replies

• Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    I think you have some real issues with the shading on the back faces of the trees. Some of them are black others seem lit by the sun, while in shadow. The transition between river bank and water could do with detailing and a less steep transition. Have a look at reference for rocks and plants that would seem natural in the scene. Slight fogging could enhance the depth in the scene and provide atmosphere.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Two months of work seems like a really really long time to build this. For being inspired by Flotsam,the colors are really lifeless and somewhat flat. Nothing really contrasting and little to no focal point. You have some bizarre lighting/shadowing going on and your mountains in the background are reading as untextured blobs. (might have to do with the Depth of Field). The scene itself is a bit lifeless, too. Not enough variety in vegetation and other organic stuff. It seems like no one has lived there either. If this is for your portfolio I would really, really reconsider going back and working on it some more. And maybe learning to work a bit faster/efficient. Don't mean to sound harsh, but I'm just being honest. That being said, this is the time to learn. You have us, polycount. Your greatest resource.
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    what do your lightmaps for the trees look like?
  • Ostraga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ostraga polycounter lvl 8
    The trees are made using Speed Tree. this project took me closer to 1.5 months.. alot of that time was spent trying to learn UDK.. I've started adressing some of the lighting issues i had with me scene. I desaturated it, put a height fog, and am currently retexturing some of my wood to add more contrast / life to the scene.. also brightening some of the foliage to give it less of a dull look. I'll post updated screenshots sometime soon. Also fixed the water - land transition with a depth biased.

thanks for the critique
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I don't know if Desaturating it is a good thing. Maybe toying with what colors are your in your shadows/Highs/Lows.