Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Shipyard Scene

Hack
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Hack polycounter lvl 12
Hey PC, this is a scene that myself, Jeff Miller, and Matt Mangini created for a class. All assets, textures, and UDK work were done by us. We were working from a concept chosen by our teacher. We did this in one quarter and had a blast creating it. We are graduating soon, so we are starting to get our work out there. Comments and critiques are welcome. Enjoy!

-Team Triad

Concept:
CM+01.jpg

Video:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5_MON6OPsM[/ame]

Renders:
Shot2.jpg

Shot3.jpg

Shot4.jpg

Shot1.jpg

Shot5.jpg

Andrew Hackathorn - a.hackathorn@gmail.com
Jeff Miller - JeffMiller3dArtist@gmail.com
Matt Mangini - 3dmangini@gmail.com

Replies

• KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KazeoHin polycounter lvl 8
    I think you need to tonemap the scene quite a bit. The scene has some awesome detail and great colours, but I think the contrast is waaaay to flat: example

levels.jpg

The black levels in the concept are bold and for the most part progressive, whereas in the scene there is little to no blacks.
  • Bart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is awesome ! Might I ask you how you guyz handeled the foliage ? Especially the ones on the ship side. Are they modular ? Could use some advice on creating that kind of foliage my environment :)
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    For some reason, I just dont belive the crates fell out like that. It looks to perfect and manufactured spill, like they all just slid off in a perfect row. top ones seem kinda ozie and how did the bottom ones get turned like that?

Some refs of Capsized ships...
    http://www.containershipping.nl/casualties.html

Agree with the contrast. Turn the fog brightness down or go back into the post to fix it (this is on the renders. Your video seems pretty decent. Odd...).
  • Hack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hack polycounter lvl 12
    @KazeoHin - I completely agree as well as completely forgot to do that. I'll play around with tonemapper for sure to bring up the contrast.

@Bart - The ivy is all one texture and split up into three differnt shape( a hanging one, a longer and thinner one, and one that is all clumped together.) With that I made three different meshes and repeated them all over. Hope that helps.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Making some of the lights flicker will help bring in more atmosphere. Out of curiosity who is the concept artist?

EDIT: Ah its from Singularity. Google image search ftw!
  • MaD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaD polycounter lvl 7
    The scene looks really good, just try to create more atmosphere. It also has got really strong Reds, Greens and Blues, which doesn't work well together.
    Did do some photoshop on one of the screens. Hope you don't mind
    atmov.jpg
  • Hack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hack polycounter lvl 12
    @haidaslami - We thought about having some of the light poles flicker, we just didn't get around to it. Thanks for finding the artist of that concept. We had no idea who it was.

@Mad - I hear ya. Thanks for the paintover. We'll rework the tonemapper and lighting for sure!
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    if you look at the concept, it is predominantly a cyan color with the orange being the accent color. right now there is such a wide color gamut that it makes it seem a bit noisy and unfocused. you could play around with the color grading in udk to quickly get the final result without having to re-light anything. nice work. here is a quick example just using adjustment layers which you could then apply to your color cubes in udk.

shipyard_colors.JPG
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Not bad at all for Student work. Some of the better stuff I've seen come out of AI-SD. One thing that really bugs me is how it doesn't really look like it's raining. It's just barely..if at all noticeable. Looks less of a storm, and more of a sprinkle. Also I agree with everyone about the lack of contrast..and could do with some more shadows.
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Nice environment guys! One crit would be that it doesn't look wet enough, compared to the concept. Water running down over the meshes would add a nice touch to the scene.
  • Hack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hack polycounter lvl 12
    @PixelMasher - Thanks a ton! I'll try to work on the color grading. It'll be a few weeks before I repost(other school work) but I'll use your paintover as a starting point.

@Erich - Thanks man, it means a lot. We work so hard on this. Do you mean in the screenshots or the movie, the fact that it doesn't look like its raining? Thanks again for the feedback

@Walrus - I see what ya mean, some shots don't look very wet. That's a great idea about water running down. Maybe I'll take parts of the my material for the sign(the beginning of the video) and add to more materials.
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are the things I noticed:

GhXe1.jpg

The ivy/moss growing over the barrel in the bottom left looks a little weird. I guess the fact that I'm not sure if it's ivy or moss is a bad thing. Does ivy usually just grow randomly on the ground like that? I haven't seen that before but I could be wrong.

The ivy growing on the container on the right looks like there actually could be ivy growing there, but the lighting on it is blowing it out, and the shadow is really dark as well.

The containers all look sort of warped and bent unnaturally. I understand that it's supposed to be old and they fell off of the ship, but I don't know if they would bend that way. Seems like maybe just the corners or the area where it actually collided with something should be the damaged area.

Last thing that I noticed was that the wires hanging didn't have enough edge loops. Just throw a few more in there so it doesn't look so low poly.

Overall this is really good, just needs a bit more polish.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I was talking about the Screens.
  • Hack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hack polycounter lvl 12
    @SgtNasty - You bring up some good points. A little more polish and we'll be there.

@Erich - I agree with you on certain screens. We'll play around with the shots some more.