Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Detention Block

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Wonkey polycounter lvl 10
Current Progress

hXZCb.jpg

CYszv.jpg

I am using this concept by Eric Spray For a SciFi environment in UDK. I'm not going to follow it exactly, but will try to stay pretty close.

Here is the blockout.
JHqls.png
Starting the modeling!

C&C always begged for!

Replies

• Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thm6t.png

Made the fan bigger, removed the sky train's blockout, and threw some lights in the upper door thing's opening to fake some bouce and to see.
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nygfa.png
    Have to re-do the doorframe, but I am liking how the High poly is turning out
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know if a door with so many rivets really fits into a sci-fi environment?

Seems more modern industrial.
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well in MY Science Fiction world... Damn it, even there there would be fewer. So yeah, will tone them down, but will be keeping some.
  • SnakeDoctor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnakeDoctor keyframe
    Might be easier to add the rivits with ndo thats a lot of rivits to add with just modeling alone
  • toxic_h2o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o polycounter lvl 8
    If you do keep the rivets, I would make them all the same size. It doesn't look intentional right now. Looks random. Keep it up though!
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Yah i agree, doing different sizes for the rivets is wacky, keeping them all the same size would be nice and clean. you could also start messing around with different patterns.

EDIT: also the concept's door has no rivets and is way sleeker.
  • cox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cox polycounter lvl 10
    Nice concept,

I'd avoid those vivid 90 degrees corners on metal panels, they make the piece look less high tech along with so many rivits.

my 2cent
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RexM, Toxic_h2o, Alberto Rdrgz, cox
    Four People say Rivets aren't SciFi, I say Pooy! And render it both ways!

tOJM4.gif

...ok, Rivets are not Sci Fi... I just hope Fezes are still cool. Thank you guys for setting me straight! And yes, I will say it, you were right...

I will work on it a lot more, though starting over might be easier.

SnakeDoc, Honestly, nDo vs. placing the rivets on the high poly are really equal with the Object Paint feature in the graphite tools
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think it's black and white like that. I think it's ok to have rivets in sci fi. The problem with your door was the amount of rivets, and the variation in the size. At a time like this, should probably just favour the concept, since the concept artist probably already considered this.
  • TheScreamingEagles
    I agree with rivets being OK in sci fi (its science FICTION, you could nail the door together with pony dreams if you like). As others have said, standardize the size of them; in reality, lots of different sized rivets to be manufactured would drive up production cost, and make things needlessly complex. If you were making this in reality, your life would be far easier with a standard rivet used on the entire thing.

Rivets also add a little interest for the eye to take in, in my opinion.
  • GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    As for the size of the rivets, be sure they'll be visible once baked. I really doubt you'll have enough details on your normal/AO bakes to handle the tiny rivets you have at some places.
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Very cool concept to work from, look forward to seeing more.
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Having a few issues, with the June UDK. The biggest thing is scale, I was eyeballing it and it looked good (to my eyes) but when I drop a Unreal character mesh in, well, everything towers over it, and as does the character (Jazz the Rabbit seems to be the correct height, relative). After mathing it up, I discovered I made everything uniformly 50% larger, and shrinking the block in to scale make the player camera too tall. So after soul searching, I am not changing the scale.

Has anyone else noticed or done anything about the 'new' scale issue?

I Started the door over, going to follow the concept's lines closer. I did a few test bakes and most of the rivets were wasted blurs (as was pointed out by others). So for the new one, any rivets will be uniform in size and fewer in number. Will have something for you guys to slap me for tomorrow, I hope.
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updates.

1fVZl.png

The Door, Low poly, Taller version of the High Poly, and Real time with the normal map, which I need to rebake.

fAkFM.png

Project is moving slower than I had hoped.
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moving slow is better than not moving at all :)

I think your door is looking too soft, because of your normal map. Unfortunately I have no knowledge of how to fix that, but you should try to fix that.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    eh, looks more like the lighting is done incorrectly, looks like its either its using vertex lighting from improper lightmaps UVs, or its too low-res, in which case try turning up the resolution on the lightmap in the mesh options.
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Opps, forgot to change it, was 32, will bump it up to 128 or 256. Thank you Computron.

Sgt, hopefully the rebake will fix the softness.
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    Wonkey wrote: »

Project is moving slower than I had hoped.

While I know how much it may kill you, (as it does me when I feel that way) the important thing is that no matter what, you keep going with whatever it may be and learn something from it.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    While I know how much it may kill you, (as it does me when I feel that way) the important thing is that no matter what, you keep going with whatever it may be and learn something from it.

^THIS!

Looks good man! much easier to look at. whip up some textures, and that will look great.
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    first, I have to say, in my mind I have been updating this more often...

cpVuU.png

Textures are very wip, an no spec map yet, just started on roughing it up

AHztE.jpg

QWs98.png

Thank you Southpaw Sid and Alberto Rdrgzfor the kick in the ass!
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some progress on on the door and more progress getting the bock out looking better.

kjJAj.png

hHmFg.png

Let me know what you think!
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
    Those colors are a bit too vibrant for a prison. :P
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    School and a rough normal map bake slowed me down...

Pipes are placeholders all else still by me

ZKJ7A.jpg

C&C begged for!
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More progress, replaced the pipes, but planning on expanding the modular set, hoping I can do something interesting with it... scene seems boring...
    Planning on dropping the floor another 20 feet, and using height fog and a plan to make it look like it is swirling down there.

Kyje0.jpg

c&c welcome.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    It seems like the doors are bigger in the concept? And the spacing between the doors is shorter. I don't know if that's something you can do anything about at this stage. My other crits would be to work more on the lighting, you got red tones and bluish tones on the concept that looks very nice.

Right now the eyes go to the doors and to the opening, the rest kinda gets lost, it's all just "green". You could probably push the specular on this one a lot more.

Good work so far though :) Lots of progress since the first shot!
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you chrisradsby. I definately see at least some of what you are seeing. I think I corrected the spacing, which might fix some of the door scale. A lot of the level is still bsp brushes, with really basic materials to get rid of the horrid checker boxes. I tried changing up the colors more, but still not final colors. And I have broken more lighting, again, lol.

Not sure if I should shorten the entire walls, or put different pieces on the ends. On the right side wall, I am planning something a little different. There is a slight hint of a control rooms over there. Just have to find the time.

progress
    hXZCb.jpg

I am trying to get the meshes to about 70% before heading to the next mesh, but I think I need to crank them out faster to give more to comment about. Honestly, I am not sure what pics to post-the over all pic, or pics of the meshes as I work on them. Most of the time, I feel like I am spamming shit... Well, anyway.

C&C welcome and begged for-maybe even pleaded for!