Home Technical Talk

Simple Lightmap Question

I am trying to use Mental Ray sun & sky in Maya to generate a light map. When I render in the viewport it looks fine, but when I try to bake it looks like crap.

All i did was:
1. make a couple boxes in an empty scene
2. create sun & sky from mental ray render settings dialog
3. Lighting/Shading -> Batch Bake (shadows on, persp camera, bake to texture)

I tried baking to 8/16/32 bit texture resolutions, but that did nothing significant. My final gather settings are enabled since it renders fine in the view. Am I missing something?!?

Replies

• mikezoo
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    make sure your have Light/color tab selected.
    I 've never doign lightmaps with the mental ray sun and sky but I see no reason why it wouldn't work.
  • locus
    Are you referring to the "Color Mode" setting in the Texture Bake Set? Yes, I tried all of them Lighting Only, Light and Color, etc.. The Ambient Occlusion gives me a fuzzy approximation that seems about right. The Light and Color, or Light Only settings give me what you see above.

I specified a name in the Final Gather Map properties and it appears to be generating something, but I don't think that the data is correct. If I manually generate a Final Gather Map it will render some form of FG just fine. If I let Mental Ray build it during texture bake, I get junk...