Home Technical Talk

Polypainting

DeeKei
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
DeeKei polycounter lvl 12
Hello,

I was just wondering if any of you use the polypaint in zbrush to do your textures. So far I've just been texturing my objects in the usual way of export UV maps and then painting the textures in photoshop.

The polypaint feature seems really enticing for me, since I'm not the best texturer while painting with the UV map. What are the pros and cons on it?

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Pros would be that you can actually paint on the mesh and use some projection painting with Spotlight. If you're already used to sculpting in zbrush you should find it easier to navigate than Photoshop's 3d mode (and less buggy). All you need is the high-poly mesh, it doesn't even need UVs, so you can have the model sculpted and painted first and then worry about the final mesh. And because there are no UVs and you're working directly on the mesh, you won't have any seams to worry about.

Cons would possibly be that it is vertex based so you'll need to subdivide simpler meshes to get more detail. There are no blending modes for the brushes or layers like multiply or screen, and I don't think it would be useful for painting other maps like specular. I think it lacks Photoshop's overall sense of nondestructive control.

You could always combine the two methods.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    well if this are your only 2 options then i´d still stick with photoshop.
    blendmodes and stuff like color correction are essential for texturing imo.
    although i prefer mudbox, its awesome for 3d texturing, and you can export the layers to photoshop to get the finishing touches.
  • DeeKei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeeKei polycounter lvl 12
    I was thinking of the combine two things option. I'm not sure if it can paint patterns or something well, but either way i guess i can use it to paint the basic of the model and then import it to photoshop for the more detailed stuff.

I'm also wondering how the seams on the UV turns out when you transfer the maps from the zbrush to the uv maps you built. because thats the main gripe i have with just painting on photoshop.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    As long as you add some padding to the bake, you shouldn't notice any seams.