Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Webley Revolver

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
DietCoke polycounter lvl 7
High polycount! I'm a lurker here, but I'm trying to get more involved in the community. I recently made this revolver using the Softimage Mod Tool and I want to show it off! I'm a huge fan of the Webley revolver, and I wanted to make a sort of modern looking version. The texture is just AO + straight color.
This is my first weapons model, and my first time baking normal maps. It went pretty well overall, but there are definitely some issues. One of which being that Softimage crashes if I bake at anything higher than the lowest setting, but the lowest setting is still pretty damn good!
ANY hints, tips, suggestions, or critiques are very welcome.
8K7lX.jpg
0OC4j.jpg
vKyyx.jpg
YGYjX.jpg
ir2TT.jpg
qPvZg.jpg

Here's a shot of some "floating detail" on the high poly.

7vaum.jpg

And the high poly:

ncBLx.jpg

Now overall I'm really happy with how it turned out, but there are some really ugly spots on the normal map that I can't figure out how to avoid. It seems to have something to do with the high poly objects fitting inside the low poly objects, so there is some black space generated when it "looks" at the high res. Like so:

RlPlL.jpg
4Pdz5.jpg

I'm working on a few more weapons at the moment and I would love to know how to get rid of this issue!

Replies