Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gun Case

Dismembered
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Dismembered polycounter lvl 9
So here is a project I have been working on for a couple days now. I am thinking the HP is about done now. Let me know what you think.

Concept: (If I am not mistaken, this is a concept from a Borderlands gun case that they decided not to use. I haven't decided yet if I am going to follow that art style or not.)
699_max.jpg

HP:
HP_Comp.jpg

Replies

• ariofighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ariofighter polycounter lvl 13
    It looks to me like you used the concept as an idea and were not trying to recreate the case exactly as it is shown. If that's the case, then I think you did a good job. Your case would do well in a game like mass effect, or a high science fiction type setting. That being said, if you were trying to recreate the concept exactly, I would look at how the concept has many more soft curves then your model. Ether way its a good job, just depends on what your end goal was.
  • Tim.Y.T.Wang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Ariofighter, the concept has larger bevels on the edges, which gave it that borderlands look. I think the cables on the back might have contributed to that Mass Effect look too. I think you did a great job on the modeling portion though, good job!
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess I should have mentioned my goal. I wasn't trying to match it exactly, but I do see some areas that could use some softening. I was just trying to avoid having them looking too soft. I will be sure to go back and soften some of the edges before I start the LP, thanks for the reply!

*Updated the render and starting on the LP*
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the LP/Bake. Ran into a few speed bumps along the way, but I got them straightened out. Overall I am pretty pleased with how the bake came out. Starting on the texturing soon.

Screen-grab (Thanks Xoliul!) is AO and Normals and is sitting just over 5.7k tris:

Bake_Comp.jpg

Edit: Updated screen-grab with Oniram's spots. Fixed the waviness and softened the edges on my panels.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    its coming out realy nice but it seems like you barely captured the panels in your bake. the edges are way too harsh on them. id say go back and soften them up and do a rebake. also in the front, the 3 indents youve got (making sort of a U shape) have wavy edges, probably due to your cage when baking. that can easily be fixed in photoshop, or if you rebake for the panels you can just fix your cage then. aside from that its pretty solid. keep going.

also show wires. 5.7k seems a bit high for that piece
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update time -

Got the textures going. What do you think? Did I go overboard on the wear-n-tear? Is it believable? Any suggestions?

I have the Alpha for the glass working but for some reason when I don't have the door selected it allows me to see through my model, so I wasn't able to show it in the viewport grab.

I plan on taking this into UDK to try to get some lighting going for it. I am not very experienced with lighting so any tips/suggestions/tutorials are welcome.

Thanks for having a look.

Textures.jpg
  • dang87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dang87 polycounter lvl 12
    Cool stuff, man!
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Looking pretty good Dismembered.

I think you did indeed go a little/a lottle overboard with the wear and tear.. not every edge is going to be worn down and have paint chipped off. Maybe.. like 1 small spot.. but defiantly not the whole edge. Same goes for the paint as well.

Not a bad start though.
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply brandoom.

I tried addressing a lot of the wear I had previously, I got rid of quite a bit. This looking better?

I am open to any other texture suggestions anyone else has before I put this in UDK and play with lighting :)

Textures2.jpg
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Do you have wireframes to show? I wanna see um :p
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    must be a huge cup of coffee this vending machine does
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    It's looking awesome! Maybe have a bit of light grime around the bottom just to ground it a bit more?
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small Update:

Added a bit of light grime to the bottom, played with the Gloss map a little and fixed a seam that I noticed.

Any last C&C would be great because I plan on throwing this in UDK soon to play with some lighting. After that I don't plan on changing the texture anymore.

Thanks to everyone that has helped thus far, on and off the forum, I appreciate it! And to answer the questions about wires, once the texture is finalized I will show the wires.

Textures_3.jpg
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As promised here are the wires. Did a little optimization and got it down to just over 5.5k tris.

Wires.jpg