Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dear Polycount,

I feel as if I'm at an impass,

When I was seven years old, my father brought home Sketchup from work, and I took right to it, making cubes and space ships out of primitive shapes, than he bought Max 6 and brought it home, and I made my first gun. Six years later, I discovered the modding scene and began my first dive into game art; two years after, I graduated highschool early to work at a fabrication studio in New York. During my stay there I worked in construction, fabrication, sculpture, and building concept renders for clients in 3d. Now I'm back in Ca living with my friend and his mother, and after ten years of 3d modeling, I feel as if I've still only made a slight improvement. I see others starting out knowing nothing, and within a year or two, they've attained a professional work level, I want to know how its done.

I'm seventeen years old, and I have one passion in life; art, and now, as work becomes a necessity, the need for an outstanding portfolio has arrived; and I have lots to learn.

Thanks very much,
Payton Q.

Replies

• PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Hi Payton,

thanks for posting here, we love articulate members with a passion for 3d here; Welcome to polycount. This place is wonderful for learning from some of the best in the business.

I started 3d when I was around 12/13 with truespace, and eventually started using max as well. I've been doing for a long time now, and I even own my own studio. I've been on polycount for 13/14 years now, and I've learned a lot; so he sky is the limit!

I think if you keep your creative passion, and educate yourself on your own terms, you will find success in this field. Consider balancing your 3d pursuits with other technical skills; programming is a fantastic one. This will give you a fresh perspective on many issues our field faces.

Learn from what others post in P&P, and post your own work up, no matter how self conscious you may feel, ; you can get great crits here.

Don't become an LOLcats General discussion joker if you can avoid it. There are many fantastic members to learn from here. Measure your comments, and get to know the great folks here. Again, welcome, and enjoy.

PS: this post belongs in General Discussion :)
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    It's pretty straight forward, to be honest.

Practice and post here. Get critique. Improve the work and repost. Get critique. Practice some more.

As far as getting a job, being part of this community is the best thing you can have going. I've gotten a lot of job hits from my friends on this board and certainly learned most of what I know from the critiques they've given.

You're only going to be as good as the effort you put into it. I was a glass cutter in Minnesota for a number of years and that was bone crushing work, extremely challenging. I worked 12hr days with only 2 20min breaks. My body ached, my feet killed me and my hands were stiff and numb from lifting glass all day. But every day after work I would come home create models and textures for another 4 or 5 hours. If you don't put in the time, there will never be a payoff.
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    Welcome!--practice, practice, practice...

wiki here- http://wiki.polycount.com/

also look into eat3d,zbrushcentral, gnomon, 3dmotive,

the tech talk portion of this forum has plenty of Q+A
    programs of interest include- maya,3dstudio max etc,
    game engines and realtime solutions include- unity, UDK, marmoset, and realtime viewport shaders such as Xoliuls shader, and 3 point shader,

the bathroom is around the corner, there's a coffee/chicken wing dispenser in the hall and the pool and ladies swim team is on the roof.- Good luck happy learning!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds like you know the programs - time to get arting!

Here's a challenge - 12 months from now you're going to post an "I got a job" post in GD, so get to work.
  • Ravenok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ravenok polycounter lvl 7
    Try to be around the things you want to learn. Humans have a tendency to adapt. If you surround yourself with people you want to be like, you'll learn faster than if you stay locked out of the world you're trying to get into. This is something I learned about life, in general, and not just about this field of work.

You're only 17. You're young. Be patient, study hard and don't forget to enjoy these years. I don't know what your status is but age 17 is no time to be stressed over a job if you can avoid it. If you're looking to work on something, join a modding group, for example. Take a fun project, and FINISH IT.

Also, a final tip, and probably the most important one:
    Study. Fine. Art.
    Learn to draw, paint, and sculpt.
    Study anatomy, proportions, scale, composition.
    Learn color theory.

These are basic skills that will allow you to look at things in a completely different way. And we all need to study fine art daily, as much as possible, since you never, ever finish learning it. Or anything else to be honest. :X
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    Takes a shit load of work! Even before I got my first gig in the industry I was allocating 6hr almost every day to 3D. Its hard at first, but when ur actually creating without thinking, its the best feeling in the world.
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    Watch lots of tutorials, learn subdivision modelling, learn to bake. Once you've got those basics down the sky is the limit. Post here a lot, and finish your projects. Listen to the advice of people that know what they are talking about.

I cant recommend enough watching tutorials to learn. They are how I learnt to start with, and how I continue learning. Us game artists are incredibly lucky we have such a good community that are willing to share their skills. Make use of it!

Good luck, and post some work!
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    PeterK wrote: »
    Hi Payton,
    Don't become an LOLcats General discussion joker if you can avoid it. There are many fantastic members to learn from here. Measure your comments, and get to know the great folks here. Again, welcome, and enjoy.

Growing as a 3d artist isn't easy and it's a lot of hard work, but one of the things that helped me grind through the tough times was the laid back, fun environment here on PC. You can come here and learn from some of the best and at the same time be sure to find a laugh or two.

Anyway, sorry for derailing the thread. It's been said time and time again, "age isn't an excuse", but in all reality it really can be. It's great you're ambitious and ready to turn into a great artist in a years time, but let that go a little. You're seventeen, often times artists that jump into 3d have had years of prior experiences with art in other mediums. It really does take time. If you're dead set on being industry ready in a year or so, specialize in something that companies often look for. Work on specific types of props in a specific art style and get really good at that discipline. You're really putting your eggs in one basket, but it's your fastest ticket in if you're looking simply to get in fast. Often times if you have 1 or 2 really incredible props, companies will scoop you up knowing you can reach that quality level.

Again, you're 17 dude, don't stress so hard and keep in mind there's a lot to life, not just games, not just getting a job making game art. Anyway, best of luck, and welcome to polycount!
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    To go with what crazyfingers said a little bit, i think age does play a part to some degree. I'm 22 and close to getting my first job, my art lingered on mediocre for the 3 years that I was in college getting my degree. I graduated, joined this forum, and after fighting off all of the backwards crap school taught me, I improved majorly within about 3 months time. Make sure you learn all of the major parts to texturing, including specular and gloss maps. I use to just go with diffuse maps, then I finally moved on to normals, but things still weren't looking right. The spec map is so important and gloss can really help differentiate materials. Just try not to skip any steps and be sure to learn hi poly modeling, because it's almost always better to start with than just doing low poly models!
  • TheWildHunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, Thanks for taking the time to reply with what truly is heartfelt response. I am unemployed (completely) and spending upwards of fifteen hours a day modeling (organic, hardsurface, env), sculpting in zbrush (refining high polys or doing speedsculpts) fiddling with xnormal trying to get better bakes, and texturing in photoshop trying to get a better workflow.

Heres a speedsculpt I did the other day
    skullx.jpg

To give a general feel of my (sculpting) ability.

Is there any expansive free resource of character tutorials? After reading through a couple hundred pages in google results, I'm starting to get irritated with the lack of new material. Almost all of the ones I find have been there since I started 3d work, modeling basics are still relevant, but theres close to nothing about the sculpting and retopo process....

Thanks,
    Payton
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Just draw everyday - it will train your eye, and that's the only way to get better at anything visual arts related.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Fuuuuuuuuuu...

If that's a speed sculpt, you've got no problems, son.
  • TheWildHunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well...I guess it depends on your definition of a speed sculpt, that skull took about 1hr12min to complete and seven subdivisions from a zplane.
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    For real, it looks awesome to me, why so down on yourself? :D show more work, get more crits!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I think Justin threw down a great challenge for you.

Seriously you're 17. Just keep at it. You'll be fine. I'm jealous that you've had such access to 3d at a young age. I got into this at the old age of 22. I had been doing graphic design for years previously. But you're already ahead of most people (including myself). Just draw, sculpt, model. Focus on improving. Keep posting new work here. Polycount is a great resource. Probably the best one I know of. There is an infinite amount of talented people willing to take 5 minutes and give an opinion. That's an amazing thing to have. Stay positive too. Don't get jaded about things at 17. That's what your mid-30s are for!
  • Gooner442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gooner442 polycounter lvl 6
    10 years of modelling and you're 17!?.. I'm 35 and started 3d only 2 years ago!.. though I spent my early years drawing and then studied art so not 'wasted' as far as CG goes.... all I'd say is, stop worrying, go travelling, live a bit, maybe you love to sit on a computer all day but one day it'll feel like work so live a little... you already have a headstart on many people
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    wow...lol i've only been modelling for 2 years..and i'm in love with it everyday ;) you sound like a real dedicated person..keep going bro !
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    yeah. 10 years is definitely a long time. i started modeling in my teens so i can kind of understand where you're coming from. and its great that you are being active and joining the forums. that already puts you ahead of others i know who are going to school for game art and dont seek the help/advice/critique of places like polycount. i guess i would just agree with the others and tell you to just practice, show your work, and get critique to help you improve. best of luck to ya. :D
  • TheWildHunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth wrote: »
    For real, it looks awesome to me, why so down on yourself? :D show more work, get more crits!

Its cause this is just a speedsculpt, My father worked at warner bros and disney when I was young as well as working with Don Bleuth and others, I was born drawing! I've been sculpting since I was six(?) with playdough making heads and such. My poly modeling is a little on the rusty side, I have a small problem with wrapping my head around the depth of it, proportions get crossed, zygomatic archres end up by collarbones and chakras get F'ing exploded.

Generally, anything related to sculpture, I don't have a problem with, I can always build out a quadrified base with wonky proportions and fix them in HP before retopo, I'd just like to improve on my poly modeling; as well as my uvw optimization, I've gotten to the point where I can unwrap anything I model, but my space optimization is absolutely terrible...
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    My father worked at warner bros and disney when I was young as well as working with Don Bleuth and others, I was born drawing!

Damn luckiest kid ever... !!
  • TheWildHunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz wrote: »
    Damn luckiest kid ever... !!

Was the luckiest kid ever, moved out when I was fifteen.

On a far more smiley note.

Quadrified a head from the game TES:IV Oblivion, trying to get a more feminine look for the female elves.

dunmerfem2.png

Any pointers on making it more feminine?
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those browridges need to be rotated to a neutral position. I would also suggest taking a stab at ears. They're difficult, but rewarding!
  • TheWildHunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moosey_G wrote: »
    Those browridges need to be rotated to a neutral position. I would also suggest taking a stab at ears. They're difficult, but rewarding!

Hey mate, Will do on the brow, the ears however, are an engine thing (Swappable ears on a single head) So I'll have to do those seperate....
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dude your not that bad. just keep going all you can do is practice to improve.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If this is what you're capable of at the tender age of 17, you're only going to get better at an exponential rate.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    took me 4 years to break in (studio gig), 2 in school and 2 working on portfolio.
    The last 2 years I was working on average 12-16 hours 7 days a week. Actually, it put me in the hospital for a while, lol.
    Just work every chance you get, if you want it bad enough its not that hard really.
  • TheWildHunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres my sculpt of the day people, Crits and comments welcome!

2 hours from a sphere.

bustcopy.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
    I'm in a similar boat, bro! 17 and been at it for a year and a half, but things and my ability to understand all this stuff has really improved with the participation on Polycount.
    One thing to remember though, don't always try to act like you know everything (not saying anything about you, just in general, because I don't know you lol). We're all in this learning process together, and I think Polycount is as good as it gets. :)
    Cheers and have fun making art!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Let's recap:

-Do this craft every day if you want to get better.
    -No seriously. Every. Flippin'. Day. 1 hour. 6 hours. 12 hours. Just sit down at the computer and do it.
    -You're already off to a great start and have HUGE potential in this industry. You've artistic ability, that's entirely apparently from the few pieces of work you've posted. Keep at this and you'll be teaching us a thing or two in the coming years. I guarantee it.
  • TheWildHunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! Your kind words mean alot!

However, is there anything I can improve on? Anybody see any wierd odd shape to the sub orbitals or the maxilla or something? I'd really like to make this look fantastico!

Thanks!
    Payton
  • TheWildHunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Todays Sculpt

72211copy.jpg

Not really satisfied with it, but I can't quite put my finger on whats wrong... Crits and comments welcome!
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spend a little more time making sure your overall proportions are correct, its hard to say just from the 3/4 angle but it looks like the overall head shape you keep getting is pretty far off, but similar in each sculpt. what i can tell from what i see, your ears are way big and a bit high, the eyes are also very large (possibly a result of the oversized ears) and the noses are quite big as well, but the jaw line and mouth seem to be a bit small.

maybe do a few with less polish but more emphasis set on proper bone structure, keep em coming though if you can stick with this work regiment and put up with the criticism on here you will improve super fast:thumbup::thumbup:

-woog
  • TheWildHunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man! Could I bother you to do a quick paintover to illustrate your points better?

Thanks,
    Payton
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    What Adam said.

Just do it every day. It doesn't matter if you only have an hour or more. You get better and faster every time, even when you think you don't.

Don't get discouraged and keep following your dream. I just got my first actual job as a game artist at 21 years of age and it's incredible.

Everyone's already mentioned how much potential you have, so just keep at it man.

You never stop learning in this industry. :)

-m
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sure thing man im no paintover master but her is what i came up with.

paintover%20for%20wildhunt.jpg

hope it helps

-Woog
  • TheWildHunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Woog! Regretfully, my save was corrupted so I've ceased working on that head in particular.

However,

+10 to anyone who guesses what game this is for!
    beautyrenderf.jpg