Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Handpainted textures test

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Marcus_Aseth polycounter lvl 9
Hi guys,today i was wondering how much is important for a 3d artist to be able to create handpainted texture,& my answer is that it's a quite useful skill,in case there is to do something with the style of wow,or torchlight :)

But my real question is,for creating this handpainted textures,I simple have to practice & try to learn,or is something like a "painting talent",there is who posses it & there is who don't have this talent :(

So,i quickly made a barrel inside max (unwrapped bad i know) only to go inside photoshop in the short time possible,& try to make my first handpainted texture,only to see if there was the "potential" to learn this art or to see if i was a totally fail on it (for the test purpose,no reference or stuff,i simple try to paint it,first i put a color then i work with dodge & burn) (...i don't even finish the barrel,for test purpose the left side of the texture was enough)

here the resoult:

unled2et.png

What did you guys think about all the thing? :poly141: ?
I have some chance to learn to do them or it need some kind of natural talent that i lack? Investing time on it or simple focus on standard realistic textures? :poly141:

Replies

• gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Everything in game ART requires skill in ART oddly :P
    Theres tons and tons of different styles of hand painted textures out there, so this may not be the case for all of them, but at the moment your metal is looking very clean and your wood is looking very noisy, almost as if they are two seperate styles stuck together.
    Something which would match your metal better would be a wood with a wider grain and move cartoony features (like large cutway sections etc)
    Did a crappy paint over to show what im on about:
    barrelover.jpg
    Crappy paint over or not, you can see that its alot easier to see without so much noise and the metal and wood seem to match each other in levels of detail and style.
    I dont think you need to be born with any super powers.... just practise, same with everything i guess.
    Im no pro at this, so maybe somebody with a bit more wisdom can shed some extra light.
  • X-One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One polycounter lvl 18
    Regardless of whether it's a test or not, if you don't know exactly how a surface behaves in light, use reference. For a good hand painted look, I'd say to stay away from dodge/burn and select your hues manually.

I'm unsure of the specific style you're aiming for, so it's not very easy to comment on your execution atm.
  • Quasar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quasar polycounter lvl 19
    Knowing how to hand paint is an important skill that will help you out in many aspects of game art. If you're creating photo sourced textures, you still have to paint alpha masks and also paint colour variation and all that stuff. It will also help you out if you're sculpting in Z-Brush or Mudbox as you're essentially painting on the forms.

I would recommend you grab a bunch of reference images of what you want to depict and spend a lot of time trying to get the look you want. Painting is a skill that anyone can learn if you have the determination. So start practising and post your work here :) If you haven't already done so, pick up a Wacom tablet too. It is the greatest investment you will ever make if you want to pursue a career in this crazy CG industry.
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for suggestion guys :)

Sorry you right,i was a bit vague & i was not aiming to any precise style resoult,even I don't have the idea of what i was doing,i think is not the best training,is like walking with the eye closed... :poly141:

Actually i would like to achieve something like the works mheyman of http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68601 (congratulations for your works mheyman :) )

I have an intuos & i am ready to start to learn,to go in mheyman direction,what would be a good start / training,what do you guys suggest?

I try to train myself copying his textures (but sounds bad copy the others stuff :( ) or aroud there is some tutorial about this that I really need to see before try to do foolish things? :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are some really great examples and tutorial links here:
    http://wiki.polycount.com/TexturingTutorials
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the links Mark :)

I do a second attempt with the handpainted stuff,following the wood tutorial by mheyman (thanks again mheyman)

still I have the felling like if i am missing something,can you guys tell me if there is anything wrong? thx :)

unled2yf.png
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks mheyman :)

Now I have done one more for fun without refs,but from now on i use them :)

unled2ar.png
  • chadabees
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks like a massive improvement already! Keep practicing!!!
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks chadabees :)

Here the third try...damn,it's so yellow/orange xD i want bring it to a more brown color but I always end up with yellow,maybe i simple have to start with the right palette! :poly124:

unled2sl.png
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Looking great man. Great textures and great attention to detail!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Looking better. You should try and work in some depth to the wood as well. I like post #7 the best. Post #11 is a bit noisy and lacking depth.

A good rule of thumb I use is large, medium, and small everything. So large shadows defining broad depth (>10 meters away type depth), medium depth to define smaller depths (10>x<1 meter depth), and small details to get surface depth (nicks scratches, bumps, fine wood grain, etc <1 meter depth). I tend to use this type of formula for not just hand-painting now. But sculpting, modeling, everything.

Also the color I'm not a huge fan of. It's a bit too yellow. Take it a bit to orange or red.

You should then start thinking about higher level shading. Like highlights should have a tinge of orange in them and the shadows should have some blue worked in. Things like that. Showing you have a grasp on stuff like that is what's going to separate you textures from everyone else's.

I really like the concept of the thread and your dedication to it. Keep this up and you'll be packing up and moving for a gig soon.
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for all the feedback & informations guys :)

@Jefro
    You should try and work in some depth to the wood as well

You right,now i realize that was real flat lol
    I try to adjust it with levels,hue & stuff :)

unled2nn.png

now I have a doubt :poly141:

Usually who hand paint textures obtain the right contrast during the painting process or is a common workflow to go at the end & correct the levels?
    I mean,is wrong to correct everytime the levels at the end?
    I have the feeling that i have to catch the right contrast during the painting process,no cheats :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those are some great improvements, I think you just need to keep practicing =)
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    I mean,is wrong to correct everytime the levels at the end?
    I have the feeling that i have to catch the right contrast during the painting process,no cheats :)

In my opinion, i go with the philosophy "whatever works, works!" There is no cheating, if a software offers u a tool to fix something in no time, what's the point not using it because of some kind of non-written rule. Improvements are a part of this job/hobby, and the industry demands to an artist to be quick and efficient. So what's wrong with getting your life easier? ;)
    Anyway, getting the right contrast straight on the painting process will come with practice and time...
    You've improved your wood texture very quickly, i guess that now you should pass on something more challenging...the metal ring of the barrel u were doing will be another nice exercise ;)
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey mote,I'm glad you join the discussion :) ( & thanks again for all the tips you have already give to me in the past days :) )

Today i was keep practicing,unfortunately i can't follow your suggestion about the metal right now cause I was already started working on the floor of the plaza (because if i have to practice on that,is good to turn all this practice in assets & maybe a little scene that i can put in my portfolio) & when i have it done i can put on & around it all kind of thing,wood & metal for the benches,grass & flowers all around & stuff like this :)

my reference for it is this one

400_F_9986295_MoeBNjoxUtlAZqDPY2Y9VijctneA2EpF.jpg

so i start drawing some lines inside max to guide me,now i am sketching the rocks on PS,still not sure about the overall design of it,i think i figure it out soon lol :)

(ah,some info,1 piece of it is 1024x1024,maybe is better if i scale it down at 512? :poly141: )

unled1ye.png
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a little improvement on the design,i put some flat color to make it easier to see,still i have to think about what to do in all the central piece,but i have already some ideas..

My main problem at the moment is that i am trying to imagine/visualize on my mind the scene/place & right now i have 2 different scene concept in mind,but hard to tell to my brain to follow only one of that,so i end up to modify the design to fit one scene then modifying it again to fit the other,& probably I end up with something that doesn't fit anyone of both scenes :poly141:

I think that the solution to this could be to put on a concept the scene that i am going to do,so when i see it i can think only to realize it,but I think that I simple lack the knowledges/skills to draw such a scene in the glorious way that i have in mind damn :(

So now i am struggle between 3 choice: 1) go crazy without reference & trying to focus my mind on only one of this "blur/foggy" concept & pray to god. 2)look at some reference of similar scene,but probably i simple end up copying the scene already made by another 3d artist ways better than me 3) try to make the concept of my idea until that concept reach the "feeling" of the scene that i have in my mind & pray to god again.. :poly141:

difficult choice..but at the moment i am more oriented on the third one,even if it risk to turn into a fail.. :)

unled4my.png
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok,don't laugh,i have go for the concept XDDDD

this s*it:

unled5bx.png

very bad idea xD
    but it have a sense,even if i was able to put in that draw only the 10% of the information about the scene that I have in my mind(& in a real weird way xD ),it main purpose is to keep me focus on that scene,so for sure it help,even if is pure s*it (& for sure can make someone laugh,so it worth to upload it :) )

now seriously,about the scene that i am going to do:

The viewer is in the plaza,the round piece that i am doing right now is the center of that plaza & in the center of that round piece there is a very particular tree,like a tall bonsai tree,i want it to be tall & not too large at the base to don't block the view from that point.
    at the left (outside the view) there are various stores that sells potions,weapons,fruits & stuff,but not too near to the round piece,cause i want there more room to walk.
    At the right there is a parapet (hope that is the right word) to avoid people to fall down,cause we are in a floating kingdom :)
    More at the right there are something like a dam,the water fall of from that place all the way to the earth (remember,floating kingdom lol )
    Between the parapet & the dam there is an huge space,on top of the dam there is a big castle.
    on fron of us there is a way,there are more on that part but i have still to work on it,for sure there are a big stair to the right that lead to the castle & from the arch of the stair you can see the mountains below & this is all from now,when i have all this stuff done i can think about how to improve the scene,good luck to me :)
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trying some flat colors scheme to see what could looks better :)

I think that the second image is the look that i am going for (maybe with some tweak in the palette but just a little),I also like the warm colors of the third one(but even this need some tweak),hard to decide :)

What did you guys think/prefer ? :)

unled4yn.png
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    too much colors in place lol,i go for this scheme (that match even better my idea) :)

unled4rg.png
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Your progress in this thread is really something. You should be proud.

Regarding your stone tile piece I think you should use a cooler (as in the opposite of warm) colour scheme just to break away from the orange/yellow tone that you've been using on your wood.
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Bronto,I am :)

For cooling all this orange,I was thinking that in the central white circle i have the green of the grass (& the tree at the center),& in the other 4 white shapes i put a 3 cm surface of fresh water (it's not common water,is magic water,so is always fresh & clean) :) (for this purpose maybe i have to follow some tutorial about the udk,cause atm i don't know how to do the water :poly141:
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    If you look at the original stone image you posted even though there are some red and orange tiles they just look cold? There's a lot of white in them and they're very desaturated.

But the grass and tree will definitely help contrast the orange.
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    little up,before finish to color the plaza I want be sure that it tile good with the surrounding textures,so now i am sketching hundreds of stones for the main city floor texture,without reference but trying to keep a "logical randomness" for them,you guys can confirm the "logical randomness" of the stones or you think that could be done better? :poly141:

(i think i have to correct the upper left part,too many small rocks on it,but maybe i start it again using bigger rocks,don't know for now :poly141: )

unled5t.png
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I put some more flat colors only to give an idea,but tomorrow i think that I start to put in position the entire scene inside 3ds max :)

unled5tm.png
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok,I realize right now that the last stone sketch suck,so i do it from the beggining :)

(don't look at the palette,i have to change it & for now i leave at 50% even this texture,now i go in 3ds to build the scene) :)

unled5zs.png
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    build some shape inside 3ds to give the idea of the proportion this place,i don't put props & stuff on it cause i don't need in there,the rest of the stuff is all inside my head & i think that it need a huge amount of work to pull all out :)

now i can start to do stuff & replace the piece of the scene

001io.png
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok,today hand paint day :)

I lose some time painting a mask to separate the stones from the ground,now I am ready to finish the main city texture,but before paint the texture i do 3 quick exercise to understand the workflow for painting the rock:

1st attempt:

stone1.png

2nd attempt:

stone2.png

3rd attempt:

stone3.png

3rd with color variation lol:
    77244075.png

so now i think i know enough to paint the texture,i use only that palette & i change the colors of each stone at the end with hue saturation :)

Edit: i forget to put the sharpen on those 3 images >_< :poly136:
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry guys,still doing tests to figure out what would be the better way to do stones,what did you think?

39791195.png
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First and this latest attempts are the best looking, I think.

The latest one is going to look really flat if you do all the stones the same way, though. I'd add in some surface variation to keep things looking a bit more interesting.
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    don't sure about what kind of surface variation i can use on stones,something like this one?? (maybe a bit excessive?)

Edit: please Talon,can you be a bit more specific about what kind of surface variation you suggest? (cause now i don't have idea of what could improve them) :(

77747966.png
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Hi guys,today i was wondering how much is important for a 3d artist to be able to create handpainted texture,& my answer is that it's a quite useful skill,in case there is to do something with the style of wow,or torchlight :)

But my real question is,for creating this handpainted textures,I simple have to practice & try to learn,or is something like a "painting talent",there is who posses it & there is who don't have this talent :(

I think it's a mistake to make a harsh distinction between hand painted and photo sourced. Ultimately it leads to bad texture painting as people think slapping some photos together or working in that very narrow WoW style is good enough (or all there is). Instead, try and think in very concrete visual terms like tonal relationships, unity, scale, gestalt... If you are able to approach things this way you will have a tool set that allows you to understand and work with any kind of art style.
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually I paint this, main city texture :)
    (i have a layer of it without sharpen,maybe it's better :S )
    you guys notice something wrong on it?

23653134.png
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks nice, the tops are very effective.
    I think the dark black edges don't work and should be lighter. They look like they are standing a few inches above the ground (concrete?) they're implanted in.
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was thinking that could depend from the shadow,but not sure,if it's the black edges,correct them could be more difficult (cause the shadow is a separate layer,the black edge is painted in each rock) :poly141: