Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Man anatomy - crtis

Hi,
I'm trying to learn anatomy (just another one =)).Well, I would love to get some critiques/comments about my progress.

humanpinuja3.jpg

My english is a crap, so patience with me please hehe =P. I'm still learning.
Thank's

Replies

• Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Not bad, there are a few discrepencies proportion wise, but the musculature and details (hands, feet, etc) are looking pretty tight.

humanpinuja3.jpg

The legs are looking accurate up to the bottom of the pelvis. the torso is a bit too long and the shoulders are too high/wide. Remember that these are 'standard' proportions, you need to stick kind of close, but everyone is different.

the head is def. too small compared to the body, and it is too short from front to back. a goo rule is that the head is comprised of two egg-shaped ovals, one for the face and frontal cranium, and another that makes up the rear of the head, even with your head size, it is too short.

Overall structure, balance, and posture is good. keep it up! :)
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    Good start! I did a paint over on some problem areas:

devja9.jpg

Keep at it and you'll get there. Be sure to make above changes and post it here! :thumbup:
  • Pinuja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shrew81, thank you for the crits :). I reduced the torso and relaxed a bit more the shoulders. About the head, I'm using 8 heads to height, I don't understand why it seems small in the front view... but I agree that the head was too short from front to back and I increased a bit.

Kot_Leopold, Thank you very much for the paint over! :D

humanpinuja5.jpg

What you think?
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    You still have an indent @ the vastus medialis (inside thigh) where there shouldn't be and the trapezius is off.

fotolia_9549398_xs1.jpg

You also have next to no detail on the back of the thigh with the biceps femoris, semitendenosus etc, i know they're not overly obvious even on really muscled guys you can still see their definitions.
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    Definitely looks better but there are still things that are off. Let me ask you this, are you using any reference? Because if you're not, that's your first mistake. Your sculpt really looks like an ecorche model right now rather than a human being with skin and fat over him.

At this stage, I wouldn't so worry about defining each individual muscle as much as I would getting the overall proportions/planes and the silhouette.

CategoryReferenceAnatomy?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=loomis_orthomale.jpg

http://anatomytools.com/products/artist-busts/bust-male

Also:

1. Brachialis tampers as it inserts onto the humerus. In your case it is the other way around. It looks flexed when it shouldn't be.

image.axd?picture=2011%2F4%2FArm+Muscle+Anatomy+1.jpg

2. Biceps brachii is still too big.

3. Flexor muscles of the forearm appear as a single mass. Yours have a crease in the middle which shouldn't be there.

4. As I mentioned in the paintover, smooth out the triceps brachii tendon. It doesn't even look like a tendon. Looks like a bone (humerus) which isn't visible until you get down to the elbow.

5. Sartorius is non-existent. It attaches to the Anterior Superior Illiac Spine (a very important landmark, which is also missing). Thus creating a plane change that you don't have.

6. From the profile view, gastrocnemius doesn't seem to insert all the way up to the femur. It just cuts off which is incorrect.

7. Striations on the deltoid are way too prominent. Again, he isn't flexing his arms.

8. Teres major is an important muscle which shows up on everybody - men and women. Obviously, being more prominent in men.
  • Pinuja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider, thanks man!

Kot_Leopold,
    Let me ask you this, are you using any reference? Because if you're not, that's your first mistake.
    Yes, but the most are ecorche. Now I'm using more humans references.

Thanks for the crits, I tried to fix them.

humanpinuja61.jpg
  • Ravenok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ravenok polycounter lvl 7
    This is pretty good m8. Something does bother me with the structure of the ribs on the front view, and the general structure of the abdomen muscles (specifically the top ones right under the chest - these are supposed to be the smallest of the bunch and here they're the biggest by far).

The arms seem too skinny as well. Take a look at the wrist on the back and front view. Also the elbow (the joint of it) - it should be slightly thicker than the upper arm since the bone expands when it reaches there. A general rule about bones is that they're thicker on the joints.

Also I notice now that the lower legs might be a little short.

I'm still studying anatomy myself, but that's my 2 cents. :)
  • Pinuja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Blaken, I did some changes in the abdomen and wrist. :)

humanpinuja7.jpg

I don't know if the anatomy is decent now, what do you think?
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Overall its pretty good, this is the part where ill start adding a realistic amount of fat to some areas to keep it from looking unrealistically ripped.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    looking awesome!!

Check out the illiac crest
  • catstyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ur proportions are fine.. do whatever u want just make the overall flow convincing
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    rectus femoris is normally thinner then that on muscled males.

leg_muscles.jpg

pec major goes underneath the delt so there's normally a more obvious division, yours pretty much flows directly into it, there's no seperation. Can't remember the exact name of the muscle but the definition point between the external obliqs / hip tends to have an indentation. Best example i can find is this, pretty obvious difference for ya.

stockxpertcom_id703018_jpg_719215574b9718645fbac348985000b8.jpg

There's some other stuff but it's mostly just where the mass / definition lies, you have most of the main groups there just not popping the ones you should and doing others. I'd angle the arms more so we could see the lats because there's almost 0 bulk from your back shot in them.
  • Pinuja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for the feedback guys! :D I'm thinking to make a next-gen character now to study other things such as baking, texture, topology etc...

humanpinuja8.jpg