Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

Concept Artist - Rocksteady Studios - Internship

Rocksteady Studios is a video games developer based in Highgate, London. We are the team responsible for developing the hit game Batman: Arkham Asylum, and currently working on the AAA sequel Batman: Arkham City.

We are offering a great opportunity for a graduate concept artist, who is interested in working on our next big title during the pre-production phase. It is a 3-6 month internship, dependent on the candidate, and the work required.

This is an unpaid internship, but it’s a great chance for recent graduates looking to break into the games industry. We cannot guarantee that we will employ you in the future, but we will give you the opportunity to burst into the industry and get that all important experience that will allow you get a foot in the door.

If you have a passion for video games, and draw great concept art, then this role is for you.

Replies

• System
  • DeeKei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeeKei polycounter lvl 12
    When can the internship start? I am interested, but I need to wait until my passport is issued.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I don't care how big a studio is, an unpaid internship for any length of time that extends longer than a couple of weeks is simply exploitation (and quite frankly should be illegal under minimum wage law). I'm personally quite disappointed in seeing this kind of conduct from a studio of this size.
  • Visualante
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee wrote: »
    I don't care how big a studio is, an unpaid internship for any length of time that extends longer than a couple of weeks is simply exploitation (and quite frankly should be illegal under minimum wage law). I'm personally quite disappointed in seeing this kind of conduct from a studio of this size.
    I thought it was in the UK. Something like £50 minimum a day I'd heard from employers. But apparently not, if Rocksteady are getting away with this.
  • howlingataspoon
    Im a recent Illustration graduate, i would like more details of the postition and what are the requirements.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Visualante wrote: »
    I thought it was in the UK. Something like £50 minimum a day I'd heard from employers. But apparently not, if Rocksteady are getting away with this.

Sadly it isn't. If you call it an 'internship' and not an 'apprenticeship' under the apprenticeships scheme, the intern is magically entitled to nothing; not even renumeration for the expense of travel to work.

It's not uncommon (especially in highly sought after industries, such as fashion journalism) to see 'unpaid graduate internships' which last as long as a year, which quite frankly is disgusting.

This is especially disgusting in central London where the cost of commuting into the city (much less than living in the city..) from only a few miles outside 'greater London' can still easily accrue a cost of at least £100 a week.