Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Abandoned Vegas

So I decided that it would be neat to do an abandoned post civilization Las Vegas. I thought it would be a nice opportunity with the lights. Here is the first set piece for it, this will determine if I go any further with the idea. The blocks, the steel beams and the sign on the right have diffuse normals and spec, and the sign has a glow, the sign on the left has not been touched yet, I am going to go back and add some more detail to the beams, maybe some rust.

testrender.jpg

testrendernight.jpg

Replies

• Illusive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive polycounter lvl 8
    sounds like a game i've played hmmm i'm blanking here... what was it again?
  • nathanPreston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am not going for post nuke here, I am just going with the city has been abandoned and then taken over by raiders later. Because New Vegas is just like fallout with some of the monuments of Vegas, And just a lot of garbage and brown.
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    @illusive: helpful much?

@nathanPreston: the idea itself is fine... it's about execution... that being said, a single asset isn't going to provide much insight into what you're thinking of with this environment.

Suggested course of action:

1. Reference collection/concepting
    2. Blockout prototype/paper design
    3. Lighting/mood tests
    4. More reference/concept
    5. Refine blockout with more silhouette objects
    6. More reference/concept
    7. First Pass on all geo (really hammering down the proportions/forms of things)
    8. More lighting/mood/atomosphere tests
    9. High Poly Rockification
    10. Low poly/texture
    11. Lighting/material setup (spec/other effects)
    12. VFX
    13. Polish the turd

If you were trying to simply make a sign... that's great... but the sign doesn't seem to have a purpose... what is it pointing to? usually a sign like this has "PEEP SHOW" or "2$ Tacos" written on it... or another sign above it "HOTEL!" or something...

if i were to critique the sign by itself i'd say nice try, but you have I Beams hanging out where they shouldn't be.. they're not really supporting anything... nor do they look attached. Your other beams look like they have a tiled texture on them and no normal or spec... so it doesn't read as metal. The sign itself doesn't look constructed as much as it looks glued together.

why is the concrete base seperated into 2 parts... and why is there a metal band around the concrete base, was someone worried about it falling apart under the weight of the sign?

as far as the lighting test... that's cool, but lighting tests are only really interesting in scenes with multiple objects... this says, "i can make something glow in max" which is kinda cool... if you're into that.

If you're going for abandoned, it looks too clean... and if it's an abandoned town, why do the lights work anway? It would be cooler IMO if the city was lit mostly with natural light sources (fire and whatnot)... raiders probably aren't electricians and likely aren't running power plants...

I'm out of steam, but I'm sure there's more I could say about this piece.

Do a blockout, and get a feel for the environment you're creating.

I'm interested to see the abandoned city, i just think you need to put a little more thought/planning into it before getting feedback on assets.

Cheers brohammer, and good luck! Post those designs/concepts/reference
  • polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh... $2 dollar tacos sounds good about now. I love fallout and new vegas, but the assets in the game could be done better. Look into urban exploring... there is plenty of websites out there with uber amounts of pictures. The post nuke/abandoned look is my favorite and looking forward to seeing more.
  • dogzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dogzer polycounter lvl 8
    this reminds me of something.. something 3-ish... but I can't figure out what it is!
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    It's a fun concept to work with :) Try following the workflow posted by nfrrtycmplx and you'll see a big difference in the final product. :) Good luck with this project!
  • nathanPreston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the final i came up with it is on my website now, http://nathanpreston.ca/crossroads.html , here is a sample of one of the images

crossroads%20asset%201.jpg

I am just using it as a lone asset, and there are more pictures and a video on my website link above.
  • Illusive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive polycounter lvl 8
    @nfrrtycmplx : I think it helps to give credit to a game he's obviously inspired by. Cleary dogzer thought the same