Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Steroid pumped punk

Hey people, I have been working on a new sculpt over the past few days and i thought it would be best if i could get crit from you guys. I have not gone for a realistic sculpt, in this case i have kept in more on the stylized side. I know there is still more work needed to be done especially on the anatomy but i thought ill hear from you guys first

PaILF.jpg

Replies

• fuzzio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is some more progress

hnmaP.jpg
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very unrealistic
    check some refs and work off of bodybuilder faces like Branch Warren for example [angry face]
    also way too uniform and blobby facial features
  • fuzzio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As stated i have not gone for a realistic approach, i have given it a stylized look
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    very unrealistic = not convincing

you can stylize your pieces... but this isn't Vietnam... there are rules.

your muscle groups don't flow into one another at all... looks like a bunch of pieces slapped together (which i know isn't the case)

learn anatomy then stylize it... you'll get much better results.

I couldn't do much better though... but the problem with humanoid anatomy, everyone knows when it's not looking right... we see it every day.

As the artist, it can be difficult sometimes to seperate ourselves from the time we spent working up to a certain point. and when you post it on the internet and people rip on it... or crit it, it can sting a bit... but remember you're posting to get feedback... listen to the messages, not the words.

try posting with your models the reference you're going for... if you're just sculpting and not using reference that's mistake number one... get a clear idea of what you're making and share that idea with people so they have context to crit the work... ESPECIALLY if you're going for a style... we don't know what the style is by looking at your sculpt brohammer.

Cheers and good luck...
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    You asked for crits in your first post, then blow off the first crits you get with "it's stylized"? That's not gonna get you very far.

Harsh crits ahead, beware.

We can tell it's stylized, and we can also tell it looks very wrong. n88tr's comments about it being too uniform, and having blobby facial features are true, whether it's stylized or not. There's really nothing here that screams style in the way you'd want it too. It really screams you don't know what you're doing, honestly.

Right now, it's clear you don't know anatomy correctly, especially facial anatomy, enough to do anything stylized. You must know the rules, before you can break them. That's something to keep in mind. His eyes shape is off putting, very weird, and alien. He has no ears which also gives him an alien look, his neck muscles are very small for a neck that size, and his adams apple is very wide. The nose is large on the bottom, instead of the middle area where the bone ends, like it's supposed to be, the nostrils are WAY too defined, and square, he looks surprised, has no brow, has no collar bone, and several other things are wrong with it.

Basically, you don't know the rules, and are trying to break them anyway. It's way too soon for you to be doing stylized stuff. Hit the books, do some anatomy studies in 2d, do a lot of small projects with a focus on real anatomy. Then once you're good at that, you can form your style.

This may all be really harsh, and while I mean it to be a bit of a "punch in the nose" I hope I don't discourage you from continuing. I checked your site, and the sculpts on there, which show a lot of promise. You NEED to accept critiques, much like the one n88tr gave you. It wasn't meant to shit on you, but to help.
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    the problem is most people try to make stilized stuff, cos it may look easier to do, when its not. perhaps its the complete opposite.

in the arts field, wether its 2d, 3d, conceptual, game, cinema, whatever, there are no shortcuts: you must dive yourself in, and go for it. hours of practice, learning, inspiring, looking, asking. its the only way.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    stylized does not mean shortcuts

I used to think the WoW creators were lazy, until I got into art.
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    frell wrote: »
    stylized does not mean shortcuts

I used to think the WoW creators were lazy, until I got into art.

indeed, thats what i wanted to say. maybe i used the wrong words, but what i wanted to say is that even saying its stylized, wont work as a shortcut; actually it will make your life even harder, cos stylizing something might be tougher than making it real. it takes a WHOLE knowledge of the deal, so that you can modify it properly.

people say, for instance, that the wind waker was done that way cos it would be easier... i laugh loud when i read/hear this.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure if you called it stylized just so you wouldn't get criticized but that is what is going to happen

there needs to be some standardization here, how far you are willing to go or not go in an effort to make the character

perhaps you could share some influences that are driving you, things you are trying to copy or replicate
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    When you go stylized, you're not going to be lightly stylizing muscles as you are. Stylized characters generally have a very bold look to emphasize the stylization and the consistency of the style itself.

Take Mr I for instance:

374590-119941-mr-incredible_large.jpg

He doesn't look fucked up by some kid in zbrush, he almost feels like he should look like that, thats consistency.

Now to contradict myself and show you the scout, which is lightly stylized

10531-scout_large.jpg

Hes stylized to be skinny and sleek, and reflects this, he doesn't look like someone at valve found a shortcut to doing muscles and slacked off.

the-hulk-od-2003.jpg

Generally humans do not look like this, but comon, its the fucking hulk. He doesn't look disproportionate either, hes consistent and looks like a hulk, not like someone messed up the jaw line and the trap muscles.

bfh2.jpg

Oman these guys kick some fucking ass, but im not sitting here saying "lol the artists cant model knees or calves right"

consistency

is

key

If you were making the sexy version of squidward, this thread would be win
    img_1299.jpg

But you're not. If its stylized emphasize it. Stylized does not mean blowing up the facial features where you couldn't get them realistic.
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    Dude, you're getting some really great crits from people who know their stuff and want to help you improve. It is indeed true that you have to learn the rules first before you can break them.

If I were you, I'd tell everyone "Don't go easy on me!" At times it may not be pretty but every type of feedback you get will help towards perfecting your skill, whatever it may be.
  • fuzzio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thank you all for the comments you guys have given me, it will really help me alot when i come to fixing the sculpt. N88tr I’m sorry if i had come across rood, this was not my intention your feedback will help me alot, and everyone else thanks for the crits i know in the end your only trying to make me become a better 3d artist so i very much appreciate the comments you guys give. Anyways its time to fix this bad boy