Home Technical Talk

Sculpting Hair Tufts/Suggested Hair

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ralusek polycounter lvl 10
So I am currently working on a few sculpts for work that I unfortunately am not allowed to share specifically. Essentially the problem I'm having is that a couple of these characters, of which all of them are radically radically "cartoony" (they're essentially just small game sprites used for reference), are furry or have some hair tufts.

A good example i can give would be:
HairTuft.jpg

Now, sculpting from cartoons, let alone sprites, is already a pain in the ass. but what's really getting to me is nailing the suggested/gesture hair and hair tufts. In 2d, you just throw a few in there and it looks good. In 3d it has to look right, and i'm noticing that it's been a pain in the ass. I went through my whole reference folder this morning to no avail.

Even worse is that one of the characters is drawn extremely fuzzy, i.e. it's entire silhouette is covered in jagged hair tufts. I don't have the polygon count available or the time to imagine how to sculpt a unique hair tuft on ever part of the body, so i've just been trying to do them at logical places (mainly sharp joints or places where hair might come to a point).

Any reference of someone who has tackled this, or imaginative solutions would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, i can't think of anything aside from working and reworking it until they tell me to stop

Replies