Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Darksiders Mini - Vulgrim

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Torch interpolator
Hey all, finished Darksiders a while back and loved the character art so much I wanted to do a 'mini' themed cartoony style version of one of the characters, Vulgrim (the necromancer guy who collects souls.)

Here's an image of him from the game:-

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/105/1051326/darksiders-20091202040944374-000.jpg

Crappy concept sketch after many sketches, just to get some ideas together:

Concept-1.jpg

The sculpt so far (still gotta sharpen up some areas):

Toon_Vulgrim2.jpg

Any C&C is always welcome, thanks!

EDIT: Just seen some of the WIP's on this forum and seems I'm a little out my depth.....ahh well, looking forward to getting some crits from pros :D

Replies

• Jizz
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    I think its coming along well so far. It seems as though you have settled on a style which works.

The one thing I would suggest is perhaps giving a little more love to the large horns on either side of his head. They look like they could do with refining as they are starting to look like clumps of hair.

Good luck mate.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Hey again, thanks for your replies :) Got an update and finally trying to do the texture work...something I really need to improve at :)

Final Sculpt and Low Poly:

Toon_Vulgrim-1.jpg

Vulgrim_MeshLP.jpg

LP done and UV'd, just blocking out colors and a few highlights with a few errors to fix:

Toon_Vulgrim_Color.jpg

Still working out a good color scheme to work with, any suggestions would be much appreciated (Texturing isn't my forte' so I'm looking for any advice to improve, thanks :D)
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    hah- look at the lil guy! I dig the sculpt- texturing is coming along- one thing that's helped me with thi sort of style is to stick in the medium and large detail range for the most part then sparingly add the tertiary details.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Hey Dan, thanks for the quick reply! I see what you mean, like anything get the large forms in first and focus on the details later. Right now I'm trying to get the right color scheme down, keeping it 'cartoony' and bright while staying relatively true to the original character. Not amazingly happy with it right now but its just the start, hoping it will look good in the end.

EDIT: Love your work by the way man, hope I can be that good one day...portfolio bookmarked :)
  • dogzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dogzer polycounter lvl 8
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    I ran across this guy on another forum yesterday while google image searching for a ZB Vulgrim I found a while back and never saved. I'm very glad you decided to not let it die, he's pretty great so far. LOTS of character, especially the eyes. Keep it up
  • G3L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    Oh man!! I would totally buy new power ups from this guy! Darksiders Vulgrim was so scary :( Love the style.