Home Technical Talk

3ds max 2010 Right click menu not working?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
Hey guys!

I was using max today and playing around with some new scripts that I downloaded from scriptspot. At some point my right click menu just stopped functioning properly. I thought maybe I had accidentally locked the mesh but the lock wasn't on. Then I thought maybe the scripts had broken something but removing them didn't fix the problem. So I begrudgingly decided to re-install max but that didn't fix the problem either. I'm totally stuck and have no idea how to fix the issue. I decided to record a video to show what exactly is happening but basically put, the items in the list are no longer highlighted and although most of them still seem to work, the Convert To: sub menu doesn't expand anymore.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhRRS2wbP6Y[/ame]

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

Replies

• Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    happens to me occasionally. usually if i have something open in the background, tho mine doesnt appear fully, it acts the same way. try just minimizing everything else in the background
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's nothing in the background though... I also did a FULL removal of the program following the instructions on this page http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=2887771&linkID=9240697

And it still didn't fix it. I don't get it.

Also took another screenshot of the problem... this is after having closed the right click menu max_glitch2.jpg

Looks to me like a graphical error of some kind but I don't know what's causing it. I tried downloading the latest video card drivers and still no luck. Weirdest thing is that it just started happening mid session and the only thing I had changed were scripts/plugins. But they worked fine for a bit and then broke randomly.

I also tried changing the graphics driver modes from D3D, OpenGL and Software and none of these made a difference either.
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, for anyone else who possibly encounters this error, I ran system restore and noticed that some program (likely a game) had installed Direct X over top of my current copy and when I rolled back the system to before this install it fixed the problem. So its definitely a graphical glitch. Sure wish Direct X had a recovery option though in case this happens again in the future.
  • rustedfaith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello guys. Can one of you many 3d geniuses pull me out of a major problem here?  My software and hardware run perfectly fine except for one glitch. I am having a right click menu problem in 3d studio. Every-time I right-click menu while working it causes what appears to be some kind of refresh or visual anomaly. Ill attach an image. This is driving me crazy and it is very difficult to work, even on simple start up meshes. Thanks so much. 
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What hardware are you using, desktop or laptop, and what graphics card? Also what OS, and what version of Max?
  • Klunk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klunk ngon master
    though not a great fix this will clear the error :anguished:

macroScript fix_menu_artifacts
    category: "fix dum arsery"
    buttontext: "artifix"
    Icon: #("MergeAnim",1)
    tooltip: "fix right click menu artifacts"
    (
    on execute do colorMan.repaintUI #repaintAll