Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Palazzo W.I.P

Hi
Recently I've been working on my first solo environment and I would like to share my progress and possibly get some critique on my work.
The whole idea is to create a square, a place for a swiss guard garrison.

This is my reference for the architecture I am trying to apply to my environment. Based mostly on Palazzo della Sapienza.

2.jpg

The main focus will be the middle of the square with an old fountain. This will be the main point of interest. I'll add some foliage to make a contrast between the architecture.

1.jpg

3.jpg8.jpg
5.jpg

... and here are the modular assets used. Those are still a WIP, need to tweak them a bit and change some bits.

ModularRender.jpg

I have also started to create the first assets to populate the area a bit.

Doorsrender.jpg

Windows.jpg

Leaveing them with a base AO before I go into the texturing process. Need to sort out my color palette

Now I need to do a few blockout assets, materials and do some paint overs to set up some mood. Will post some updates soon !

Crit very much apprecieated :)

Replies

• Bart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A small update

After some crit I have changed some stuff. Realized it might be too boring so I did a quick paintover to what I want to achieve.
    2.jpg

The tree in the middle will push all floor stones and its vines will build up around pillars.
    Gathered also some ref for the big old tree in the middle.

TreeRef.jpg

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg

Also sculpted some materials :
    Rooftiles1.jpg
    Rooftiles2.jpg

just need to work on the textres of this one a bit.

Render1.jpg

screenshot2.jpg
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    It's coming along great my friend, I have nothing to crit yet.
  • DeeKei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah really digging this so far. I guess you can make the floors abit more gritter but im sure that was the plan from the beginning :P
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Samfisher84 polycounter lvl 9
    absolutly love it bookmarking this one!
  • Generalvivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generalvivi polycounter lvl 14
    Looking great so far!
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking really nice, all the pieces you've done so far look like they have the right amount of wear on them (Nothing seems too clean or dirty, just natural). With all the repeating elements do you have any plans to make use of vertex blending to really tie it all together and stamp out any major repetitions? The pillars seem to have the most noticeable tiling at this point.
  • Oiban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oiban polycounter lvl 6
    That's looking sick! I didn't think it looked boring at the beginning (I love historic accuracy :P) But the thing with the tree looks really really interesting! I have no real crits for this. Awesome job!
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The atmosphere of this area is bound to be drool-inducing.
  • Bart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the support guyz :)

Ye I was thinking about doing some vertex blending but first I need to read and learn a bit how to do that. Will propably do some this week.

Got a small update I did today. Took one pillar and sculpted some damage and vines on the lower part so that the modular vines that will go around it from the bottom will have some moss background.

Pillar.jpg

Pillars.jpg

Those pillars are only meant to be on the sides where there is less distance from the Tree.
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    this is looking awesome. can't wait to see it when you add all the vegetation to break the repetition of the environment.
  • Bart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers :) I just realized that I could have done that with vertex painting instead of having another mesh with another 1024 texture in the level. Tho the texture is shared with the smaller pillar thats next to it. So anyway .. would I get a simmilar result with vertex blending ? For example could I create a diffuse and normal simmilar to what I have sculpted, add some geometry to the pillars and blend that texture to it ?
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah, you could do a whole re-sculpt if you wanted to with the vines going all the way up, to make the vertex blending texture. That way you could vertex paint on any part of the pillar you wanted to! :P
    If you wanted to take the extra step you could also do the same with the surrounding meshes.
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think what I would do for the vines is sculpt a tile-able mesh to use as a base and bake off your Normals/AO/Height/Mask and use that with a vertex blend shader to get a nice base on any mesh that nature has overrun. Then just do some simple spline meshes of vines/vines w/ leaves to add individually on top of any mesh, kind of like a decal, to give it more depth.

Then you wouldn't necessarily be constrained by having to sculpt a pillar with vines, a wall with vines, bench with vines (you get the idea), and could just go and paint/add vines into any area you may need them.
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah that's a good fast way of getting similar results, Mark. The vines might not always conform to the mesh but whatever. xD
  • polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bart wrote: »
    A small update

After some crit I have changed some stuff. Realized it might be too boring so I did a quick paintover to what I want to achieve.

There was nothing wrong with how you were going with this project. But you are now going into a direction I personally love. Just remember to always take crits with a grain of salt... I one time took someones crits and started changing stuff just to realize that my problem was something completely different.

Keep up the good work.
  • Bart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @nordahl145 & Mark.N
    Ye I think I will give that a go. This way I will have more vatiation and can brake up the modular mesh rape. Also I think I would save alot of time with doing those simple modular foliage meshes instead of sculpting all seperetly.

@polygonfreak
    Thanks ! After the crit I got, I realized that I was limiting myself to what I can do with this project. The way it went now its still a bit chellenging for me but I think I can slowly pull it off and learn alot of new stuff :)
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    I LOVE ur modular wk. especially the roof tiles.
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
  • Bart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have done a blockout and a base mesh for the tree that will sit in the middle. After doing a couple of vairiations I realized that making it slightly bend will look more interesting in comparison to the horizontal and vertical lines of the modular architecture. Wanted to do it at first in 3ds max but I realized that I will have more control over what I need to create in Zbrush using Zspheres.

1.jpg
    Tree1.jpg
    Tree2.jpg

Now time for sculpting the Trunk and roots couse this will indicate how my modular floor will look like and where the roots will cover the pillars.
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hah, nostalgia. Making a tree with ZSpheres was probably the first thing I ever did in 3D. Low poly looks great btw! Let's see dat wireframe brah
    How do you plan on texturing the tree?
  • michaelmilette
    Cant wait to see how to floor comes out. Really want to see lots of overgrowth would really add a color contrast with the plaster you have going on.

Cheers
  • Bart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @nordahl154
    I'ts just a basemesh to see how it will fit inside the squre. Need to sculpt it first and then retopo if needed. I will post them as soon as I am done with it :)
    Hmmm texturing the tree. Since its a hero asset I was thinking to put it on a 1 2048 on which will be the trunk, branches, foliage and all the other stuff that will be on the trunk. Or I could just use a 1024 tiling texture and a 512 for a the foliage and maby use some of that vertex paint to paint the moss. Will think more about it once I done the sculpt :)

@michealmilette
    Thats why I need to do the tree with the roots first so I know how to fit it around the floor :)
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    this is coming along great, can't wait to see where you go next :)
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Just realized i've been there, didn't know the name ^^ Ah, Italy, mon amour...
    Very nice !
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a question, those small things on the right lower corner, what are they and where do you use them?

ModularRender.jpg
  • Bart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The 2 meshes next to it (Midheight) pillars are repeated also on the upper walkway. Instead of making a second mesh I only made that small bit to intersect with a instanced pillar on the upper floor.
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bart wrote: »
    The 2 meshes next to it (Midheight) pillars are repeated also on the upper walkway. Instead of making a second mesh I only made that small bit to intersect with a instanced pillar on the upper floor.

ahh ok
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Looks great dude! You should dirt things up some more though.. The roof tiles in particular.. Looks good :)
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Looking nice so far. The roofline needs more variation in the silhouette. Even at this early stage that jumps out. The rest is looking great so far.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Great textures. I think the composition is a bit boring though, everything is tiled and all angles (from the players-view) are 90º.
  • Bart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Guyz :)

@ sltrOlsson
    Ye I will do it soon once I am done with the Tree and floor in the middle.

@ jeffro
    Good call. Will do some changes to the mesh. :)

@ Minotaur0
    Ye thats true. Nothing really much I can do with the architecture apart from brakeing and devastating some parts and adding some foliage and roots to brake down. I am open to any suggestions that you might have :)

Before I go on further with this I would like to get some feedback on the tree. I have nearly finished the sculpt (just minor alpha brush adds to the bark) and made a test bake after a whole day of retopoing.
    At the moment the Tree is 5000 Tris. I know its a bit too much for the bark itself but I made it like this so It will bake better. Now I can reduce it to 3500 maximum I think but then I will spend that 1500 or even 2000 for the additional vines, branches, leaves etc. I'll post here some screenshots.

5.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

... and the uv's. You can see clearly that theres alot of polys to take down especially on the upper branches. Please leave me some feedback on the topology and how I have unwrapped it so I can adjust some changes. Cheers :)
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should definitely take the branches tris down at the top. Just take two tris at the time and go upwards on the branch finishing at four or three tris..

I believe that you can make HUGE cut downs on the rest of the tree without any real difference to.
  • Bart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I did that but I think I am gonna have to trash this one and create a new one. Somehow this tree doesen't fit. I need a more bendy and twisted tree. Something more like this.

twistedtree.jpg

I was thinking of making one Tree out of 2 which are bound together and twisting into each other. Might need to spend on that asset a littlebit more time than I expected.
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    I love this tree. Can't wait to see some color on it :)
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A minor suggestion with regards to the branching of the branches is to use a fractal branching method. i.e. two smaller branches split off from the main trunk, which then in turn split into two smaller branches, etc. thats just one of the common fractal designs seen in many trees.

I mention this because your first tree just looks like an upside down root network, with no apparent fractal system, and it looks like a hand, less like a tree.

For example the latest tree pic you posted appears to split into two main trunks (with some irregular branches), where smaller branches sprout out of at semi-regular intervals.
  • Bart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @SouthpawSid: Thanks but I had to change it. Maby i'll use it in some other project :)

@re.wind : Thanks for the tips. I took your advice on this and made a new one which I think will fit better. Just need to sculpt some trunk and branch details for the normals.

Benttree.jpg
  • Guy123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Bart, long time no see! This is looking awesome mate, I'm subscribed ;)
  • Bart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guy :) Thanks ! How's your job hunting going on ?
  • Guy123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not bad, I got a job just before I graduated, working at an Architectural visualization firm near London atm. Its quite expensive living away from home and I have very little freetime for game art :(

But I'm working on an Environment atm, I'll post pics when i get somewhere decent!
  • HughieDM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HughieDM polycounter lvl 7
    I Like the new tree silhouette allot more then the last one
    The only thing that bothers me about the scene is the roof should be a bit thicker
    otherwise great work love the modular pieces and the work so far

cant wait to see the way the tree textured and really blended into the scene
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I completely agree about the new tree silhouette, it's much more interesting than your last. Hell if you really wanna get ballsy, sculpt your tree so it's growing into the building, breaking it apart slowly as it grows (Kind of like what you would see at Angkor-Wat)

Either way, I can't wait to see how you handle nature taking over your building.
  • Bart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Guy : Cool can't wait to check it out !
    @HughieDM : Cheers ! I might just add a shell modifier for the front of the tiles and make them a bit irregular in length.
    @Mark.N : Thanks. I'll do what I can to devastate it more with roots than branches.

I've baked down what I've sculpted but I got nasty seams I need to get rid of (posted it in Technical Talk) also I've put the tree on a 2048 texture sheet. Tho when close to it I can see the pixels barely but still. First time I am building that kind of huge asset compared to the player and have a bit of a trouble handleing the texturing part on this one :/

11.jpg
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That tree is much better

As for texturing, sculptris is rather capable at 3D painting, i.e. like the following tree made in sculptris, including texture & normal. inspired by your tree btw. :)
    speed_tree_01.jpg
  • Bart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks ! That's a good looking tree :D So 3D painting it is then. Will research it and try it out tommorow :)
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    reminds me of the white tree of gondor. lol
  • Bart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texturing and making foliage took me a bit more time than i expected but I learned few stuff while doing it.
    Re.wind I've polypainted the bark as you recomended and then did the foliage. Now I am adding some finishing touches to the vines and some hanging moss.
    With all the foliage vines and assets for that main asset I am at 9877 Triangles.

Here's a WIP screengrab from 3ds Max
    TreeRenderNEW.jpg
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks frekkin epic! I do think you can improve of the hanging moss thing though.. Looks like you got a white background on the texture? I think you should do something that is more dynamic. That have a bit more hanging in them :P
  • Guy123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good bart!

It might be the wireframes making it a bit noisy, but I can't really see any definition in the bark. I would expect a tree like that to have some lovely looking cracks.
    Or, if it is more of a smoothBark tree, perhaps some nice sharp creases etc.

e.g.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/22522979@N02/3708246875/
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thats a very good tree, but could use a picture without wires.

Also, with regard to the moss, don't be afraid to put more of it higher up the tree, and thin out the moss by the roots. The 'saddle' area slightly above and to the right of the broken branch is an excellent place for moss, as are some of the more horizontal areas in the following branches. Well, at least on oak trees, or trees that have rough bark.
  • Bart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @sltrOlsson: Ye I've changed it since then but I might just add some simpler moss. :)
    @Guy: Thanks. I will post it soon. Had to move with other stuff for the moment couse it was taking me too much time.
    @re.wind: I've added a bit of more moss on the mid branches and it looks better. Especially on the broken branch. To be honest I think I will abandon the big vines and instead make some smaller alpha'd with Ivy on the lower bark + some vegetation between roots. Don't want this asset to go way over 8k Triangles. Also those Vines somehow do not fit and they distract a bit from the overall shape of the tree.

In the meanwhile I was preparing some materials for the stone floor in the middle so I can start learning some vertex painting. Did some tests and I think I will use the second one as a base to add vertex painted moss and dirt in the middle of the square.

This was just a practice:
    Stones.jpg

StonefloorMarmoset.jpg

I think I will use this one to blend:

StoneFloorRender2.jpg

StoneFloorRender3.jpg